Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandchildren

(33 Posts)
Lynker Thu 14-May-15 16:05:04

AIBU to ask my son and his wife if they plan to have children? They have been together 13 years (Married for 2). I am concerned that time is passing, but probably more concerned about 'putting my foot in it!'. I know it's not really any of my business, but I also know that my son has said in the past that he wants children and I fear that my DIL might be stalling. Any thoughts ladies?

confusedbeetle Mon 01-Jun-15 17:34:08

NEVER NEVER NEVER mention it

littleflo Sat 16-May-15 11:19:09

All families are different. Jings clearly has a family where people can speak their mind without offence being taken.

Such a personal question would never be tolerated in other families.

If in doubt say nowt.

rosesarered Sat 16-May-15 10:38:07

Agree with most other here, don't say anything.If they want, or are able to have children, then they will do. otherwise assume, much as it pains you that there may not be any.

loopylou Fri 15-May-15 19:50:05

It's bad enough fending off GGM's asking me!
She's not so secretly hoping 2 unmarried DGDs might miraculously produce a GGD before she dies, bless her! GGF just rolls his eyes and their GDs just laugh.

Coolgran65 Fri 15-May-15 19:46:02

Definitely do not ask.

I know of a comment made to a visitor from abroad.... ''so, do you think you'll have a little one next time I see you'''. It caused a lot of upset.

FarNorth Fri 15-May-15 19:38:20

I think you've made the right decision, Lynker, and it'd be an idea to tell your DH and DD to mind their own beeswax also. smile

whitewave Fri 15-May-15 15:59:19

a

Smileless2012 Fri 15-May-15 15:31:58

My thoughts exactly ginny. You've made the right decision Lynker and I hope that one day you'll get the announcement you're hoping for.

Lynker Fri 15-May-15 14:34:17

Ginny....you could be right. I think that Judthepud2 has summed it up...thanks Jud! I will bide my time and see what happens (if anything!!). ....I think that I already knew it was not the right thing to do, but it's reassuring to have it confirmed! Thanks again ladies for your expert advice.

ginny Fri 15-May-15 08:54:21

Jings. I have a very good relationship with my 3 DDs and we talk freely. However I would not dream of being so blunt on this sort of topic.

Lynker I wonder why your DH and DD think you should ask . If they want to know it's up to them to ask . I expect they actually feel in would not be the right thing to do and would rather they did not get the 'flack' for being so nosy.

Judthepud2 Fri 15-May-15 01:21:55

shock Oh no no no no! Don't ask! Too sensitive a subject. If they are having problems that could be very painful for them. And if they don't want any children at the moment, that is their business. If they wanted you to be involved, I'm sure they would raise it.

Anne58 Fri 15-May-15 00:23:01

To be blunt, what they do or do not do in any part of their relationship is none of your business.

Lynker Thu 14-May-15 23:12:00

Thank you ladies....I think that I knew what your advice would be, which is why I haven't said anything. I sometimes wonder if they are 'trying' but their lifestyle suggests otherwise. I just don't want them to 'miss the boat' if you see what I mean....but given that they are both educated people, I can only assume that they know the score and therefore I will continue to avoid the subject until they raise it......or not. Thank you for your comments......by the way, both my husband and daughter think I should ask them.

KatyK Thu 14-May-15 20:21:20

Speaking personally jingl - I talk freely with my DH and my sisters
but for some reason I can't seem to do this with my daughter. It's not stand-offish exactly but I am very aware of not being seen as interfering so I don't say anything at all unless asked for my advice. When I have spoken up in the past when I have been unhappy about something, it hasn't gone down well so now I keep quiet and agree with more or less everything she says as I am afraid of a rift. Yes I know, it's pathetic but that's how it is.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 19:31:26

I think my post of 19:26:37 covered the respect bit. If you bothered to read it.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 19:30:23

I suppose I mean, not talking freely with each other.

aggie Thu 14-May-15 19:29:27

What do you mean ... stand-off-ish !! what's wrong with respect and consideration for their privacy and feelings

loopylou Thu 14-May-15 19:28:03

DS and DDIL together 14 years and now married for 7 - now have a 20 mth old DGS but I never, never, ever asked or even hinted!

None of my business!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 19:26:37

I wouldn't hold it against the d-i-l though, ifshe doesn't want a family. That's up to her - and him. #noblame

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 19:25:16

Are families really this stand-off-ish to each other these days? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 19:23:59

Oh, I would ask! Just come out with something like, "So, we gonna get round to some grandkids soon? smile" That would be ok.

AshTree Thu 14-May-15 19:01:03

No, please do not ask. It really isn't your business, sorry. What do you hope to gain by asking, anyway? You say you fear your DiL may be stalling. If you manage to establish this to be the case (though heaven knows how you'd couch your questions to confirm that suspicion!), what would your next step be? You can't seriously imagine you could have a cosy little chat with her to chivvy her along?
If they plan on having a family, you will find out in due course! If they have been trying without success, they would not welcome your questions, no matter how gently you ask.
Keep quiet, let them come to you if there's anything they want to tell you or talk about. I know it's hard, but it's time for you to stand back now - your son is making his life with his wife and it's not your place to involve yourself in such a personal and possibly sensitive area of their lives.

rosequartz Thu 14-May-15 18:48:33

A close relative used to ask me if we had 'found the recipe yet'?
It was quite upsetting although I never said so.

ginny Thu 14-May-15 18:45:56

I agree, don't ask.

Mishap Thu 14-May-15 18:08:21

Indeed - not a word! Just don't ask.

If they are trying without success, they don't need the question. Leave them be.