Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outrageous ageism at the toddler singalong!!

(114 Posts)
elena Fri 15-May-15 14:40:15

I have been laughing at this, and I am not actually offended, but this incident deserves sharing, I think smile
I took my toddler grandson to a storytime/singalong event (I won't say where, so as to protect the guilty!). One of the songs was 'Wheels on the Bus' and the organiser led the singing through what the doors did, what the bell did and so on, in the usual way.
Then he started on a bus about what the grannies on the bus do.
'The grannies on the bus all smell of wee, smell of wee, smell of wee....'

!!!!!

I was sitting right in front of him (not smelling of wee, as far as I know smile ), and I don't think the verse was actually directed at me...but I was rather taken aback at this. Talk about tactless, agist and not a very nice lesson for the little ones in the group!

MiniMouse Fri 15-May-15 17:32:56

Definitely needs to be mentioned to the organisers. How mortifying for any Granny who subsequently has this sung to them by their DGC - especially if they have issues regarding the Wee Department angry

kittylester Fri 15-May-15 17:39:21

I'd have said something. If one of us had come up with it, it would have been funny but that wasn't!! My DGC don't even sing 'The Mummies on the bus go natter, natter, natter' any more! I must find out what it is they say instead.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-May-15 17:50:06

You should tell him that you wondered what the smell was, but that he shouldn't try to blame others if he has a little weakness, but to face it and see his GP.

ginny Fri 15-May-15 17:55:41

Not appropriate as far as I am concerned.

merlotgran Fri 15-May-15 17:57:24

I would have been outraged and said something.

How bloody rude angry

Ana Fri 15-May-15 18:00:24

So would I! I'm surprised none of the parents/grandparents seemed to think it was way out of order.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-May-15 18:11:45

Which is inappropriate, ginny? The song (I agree) or my comment (meant to be a joke)? Sorry if I've misunderstood you flowers.

Anniebach Fri 15-May-15 18:34:32

I could not have remained silent , and would certainly lodge a complaint

ginny Fri 15-May-15 18:40:26

Yes, Wheniwasyourage I did mean the song. smile

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 18:40:39

Looks like Elena is not going to come back with any action plan. What a shame.

rosequartz Fri 15-May-15 18:45:33

This was totally out of order.
Teaching little ones disrespect for their grannies.

I thought I had a gsoh but I don't find this funny in the slightest.

It's ageism!!

missdeke Fri 15-May-15 18:46:35

Going completely off topic, I never got as far as grannies on the bus with my kids, I would just like to ask what do all these abbreviations stand for AIBU? YABU? DC/DGC? GC? I keep coming across these sorts of things and feel quite ignorant when I can't work them out, I just looked up MILF because I kept seeing it and was quite shocked when I found out! Help please!

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 18:50:31

Scroll up to top to bar - acronyms at far right

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 18:54:48

I've been thinking a bit more - if I'm honest I'm beginning to have doubts about this. I find it so impossible to believe that anyone at an organised singalong/ storytelling would sing this. Elena- are you sure you heard properly? Did the organiser have a strong accent and you could have misheard?

Ana Fri 15-May-15 18:55:48

AIBU = Am I Being Unreasonable

YABU = You Are Being Unreasonable

Ana Fri 15-May-15 18:56:16

(should have been a ? after the first one!)

missdeke Fri 15-May-15 18:59:50

Thank you Granny Twice and Ana, I should have checked first! grin

rosequartz Fri 15-May-15 19:02:40

Perhaps the organiser was French?
grannies all say oui?

Anyway, it's a non from me.

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 19:13:53

Rq- -grin

Nelliemoser Fri 15-May-15 19:51:36

That is worth a complaint about the organiser. I had not read it right to start with and wondered if it was something a small child had heard from an older sibling. Not acceptable at all.

absent Fri 15-May-15 20:49:13

I hesitate to ask but I think we should be told. What exactly was the action the children were taught to accompany this egregious line of the song?

GrannyTwice Fri 15-May-15 20:50:27

Best not ask!

Jomarie Fri 15-May-15 21:16:24

I'm with the majority here - it is unacceptable (although I can well imagine my toddler son - newly potty trained - finding it very funny to imagine Granny smelling of wee ) however, I'm not sure - having read the posts - as to whether the toddler came up with this or the organiser of the sing-a-long sang it? Makes a difference between complaining about the organiser or talking to toddler's Mum and Dad quietly. Or am I being unreasonable/stupid ????

Jomarie Fri 15-May-15 21:17:37

Sorry - meant to say "toddler GS" - oops Freudian slip??? wine

Ana Fri 15-May-15 21:45:59

"One of the songs was 'Wheels on the Bus' and the organiser led the singing through what the doors did, what the bell did and so on, in the usual way.

Then he started on a bus about what the grannies on the bus do.
'The grannies on the bus all smell of wee, smell of wee, smell of wee....' "

I'm not sure what's unclear to you, Jomarie.