Gransnet forums

AIBU

Selfishness?

(17 Posts)
rubylady Wed 20-May-15 17:09:39

...to want to celebrate my son's 18th Birthday for my own selfish reasons? To give myself a pat on the back in being a single mum and bringing him up myself for the last 14 years of his life? (I know we have had issues but on the whole I am a very fine mother! lol Said in the style of Henry Higgins, lol)

During the course of my busy day tomorrow, I am planning on going to treat myself to lunch, all by myself and to raise a glass of wine (more like a cup of tea) to myself and the fact that I have managed to get him to 18. With my health problems (one condition can be fatal at anytime) I am very lucky to have managed to get both children by myself to adulthood and my will now becomes void. (Leaving the children to my sister should I not have managed it.) That is nice to know, even in itself.

I will be having lunch while he is at college with his friends and then we are going out later for a curry together, just me and him. (That's when I buy him his first pint.)

So, is this selfish of me to celebrate? Or, as mothers and fathers in general, do we not pat ourselves on the back enough for the good jobs which we do, being parents?

Lona Wed 20-May-15 17:18:20

No not selfish rubylady, you are entitled to feel proud. Well done!
It must have been a very hard road sometimes flowers

glammanana Wed 20-May-15 17:20:57

All I can say Ruby is well done you and keep patting yourself on the back,I congratulate OH & myself every time one of mine come through the door and I see how self reliant and responsible adults they have become a big achievement after some of the things they have all done over the years but everything has turned out well in the long run and they are all good kids. (she says with fingers crossed)

grannyactivist Wed 20-May-15 17:23:56

I was a single parent for only a short time, but long enough to know it's jolly hard. Well done to you and yes, you go and celebrate. [balloons]
(Okay we don't have balloons, but I really think we should.)

Wheniwasyourage Wed 20-May-15 17:54:22

Of course YANBU! It's a milestone in both your life and your son's and you must celebrate as the occasion merits, particularly when you've had a harder time than some of us! Enjoy the day, both of you flowers wine sunshine sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 18:26:38

I always think our kids should give us flowers on their birthdays. Makes sense to me. [wine[ flowers Rubylady

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 18:26:57

try again wine

loopylou Wed 20-May-15 18:58:03

Well done Rubylady, you've every right to feel proud of doing a difficult and rewarding job -children don't come with a Users Guide unfortunately!

Have a lovely day tomorrow and enjoy your lunch x

baubles Wed 20-May-15 19:02:44

Enjoy tomorrow rubylady flowers for you and cupcake for rubyson smile

FarNorth Wed 20-May-15 19:17:55

Quite right, rubylady, to celebrate making it through to here! Have a great time. flowers

grannyactivist Wed 20-May-15 19:29:02

Actually jingl I have made that very suggestion to my offspring many times - makes sense to me too.

AshTree Wed 20-May-15 19:36:32

No you are definitely NBU to want to celebrate your achievement. You deserve to pat yourself on the back and feel very proud of yourself rubylady. Being a single mum can't have been easy, particularly when you have health problems to contend with as well.
So well done you! Celebrate away tomorrow, for all you're worth! Eat biscuitcupcake, drink wine and be merry. And enjoy these flowers

Deedaa Wed 20-May-15 21:17:50

Celebrate and enjoy it rubylady you deserve it smile

KatyK Thu 21-May-15 16:03:20

well done to you ruby wine

nightowl Thu 21-May-15 16:14:53

Well done rubylady, you should be very proud of yourself. Celebrate and look forward to reclaiming a bit more of yourself flowers

Tegan Thu 21-May-15 16:21:48

Good for you, ruby; what time are you going to have your glass of wine/cup of tea. If you give us an exact time we'll raise a cup/glass to you...[and us!] #wedungood

ohdear Fri 22-May-15 15:47:55

I have a friend I met at mum and toddler group MANY years ago. We always send each other congratulations cards on our childrens birthday! It started as a bit of a joke about not having all that hard work recognised--working, house work, bringing up kids etc, but now I think it means quite a lot to each of us.
So--no, rubylady, you are more than entitled to pat yourself on the back and be proud of what you have achieved!