Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that changing a child's nappy on an airline seat is antisocial?

(63 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 27-May-15 15:28:13

I was nonplussed when a woman in the same row on the opposite side of the plane to me ( two rows of three seats) stood up to get something out of the top lockers. She had taken off the child's nappy and sat her on the seat with nothing to protect the seat . She then spent a good few minutes rooting about in bags looking for a nappy.the poor man at the end of the row was kept standing until she had changed the child. I always assumed that this was possible in the loos on a plane. I never had to do this as my children didn't fly until out of nappies (for financial reasons). Has it become acceptable to do this? I thought airlines were making a fuss about girls sitting on their own in case there was a disreputable person next to them and here was a women sitting a bare bottomed toddler on a seat. DH was nearer and appalled . If there had been an " accident" how would the mum have managed? I felt very old fashioned and judgmental.

Anya Wed 27-May-15 17:13:57

You are confusd jongl wink ??

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:14:22

It's just the damp wet bum on the seat.

sunseeker Wed 27-May-15 17:14:32

Have a look at the Passenger Shaming site on Facebook - its amazing what people do (not to say disgusting!!)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:15:23

I am now. confused

rosesarered Wed 27-May-15 17:19:17

I think I would rather not know!

Anya Wed 27-May-15 17:20:20

I've had damp, wet bums on my knee before now. Snotty kisses. Vomit down my back. I think I'll stop there grin

It comes with the job description.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:25:03

Oh I see! [confsed]. Right! grin

Anya Wed 27-May-15 17:27:11

!!!

TriciaF Wed 27-May-15 17:29:52

I agree with Anya - a lot of fuss about nothing.
People will be complaining again about breastfeeding in "public."

Mishap Wed 27-May-15 17:42:16

I would not have been bothered by it - I have to confess to once changing a nappy under the table on my lap in a pub. Has the woman no shame!

HildaW Wed 27-May-15 17:52:34

I've never understood why people lump breastfeeding and changing nappies together. Two totally different things. One requires a comfy seat, ideally a bit of calm and quiet and is a mutually enjoyable and nurturing process. The other is ....well.....er ...all about waste products and needs privacy and hygienic disposal procedures.

Nelliemoser Wed 27-May-15 18:05:37

My DGS1 apparently rarely peed when his Nappy was changed. 4 week old DGS2 does it all the time His mum does not seem to have yet grasped the need for covering up the hose when changing him, so wee goes over poor Mummy and she has to change her clothes.

With my DS we automatically stuck the towelling nappy over his willie when taking his nappy off.

It is not acceptable to change the baby on an airline seat or anywhere else than cannot easily be cleaned. Bodily fluids on a seat are unacceptable. Take the child to the plane's toilet.

I never grasped the skill of changing a baby on my lap.

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 18:06:54

I totally agree HildaW, definitely opposing ends of the scale (and body grin)
Breastfeeding in public, discretely done is absolutely fine, changing nappies definitely not on in crowded public places IMO, changing baby's nappy in an aeroplane seat with people in close proximity isn't on.

Tegan Wed 27-May-15 18:11:25

Q. Why do you need to take care when changing a nappy after the polio vaccine?

The polio vaccine can be passed into your child’s nappy for up to six weeks after the vaccine is given. If someone who has not been immunised against polio changes your baby’s nappy, there is a risk that they could contract the virus. Therefore, you must wash your hands thoroughly to avoid this happening. Grandparents who may not have immunity can be particularly at risk. Parents are likely to have been vaccinated. However, if you think you or anyone in your family has not been vaccinated contact your doctor.

Tegan Wed 27-May-15 18:13:05

That was the article I read. I'm not saying that there's much of a chance of anyone catching polio from a nappy though, just that there is a very remote chance that it could happen and therefore nappy changing should be done in a designated area.

Ana Wed 27-May-15 18:13:55

I think that only applied when they used live vaccine.

Ana Wed 27-May-15 18:14:41

When was the article written?

TriciaF Wed 27-May-15 18:22:42

Putting my head on the block here - I think you've all been brainwashed sad

TriciaF Wed 27-May-15 18:27:40

Hilda - reminds me of a part of the book Larn Yersel Geordie -
"It gans in one end and gans oot t'other" or something like that.

FarNorth Wed 27-May-15 19:05:09

We don't know that the little darling didn't have a quiet tinkle into the seat, do we? At the very least the mum should have got the new nappy ready first.

rosequartz Wed 27-May-15 20:38:25

Quite a difference between breastfeeding and changing nappies in public!

One is nurturing, lovely milk going in and the other is waste products coming out that could well smell disgusting and carry bacteria.

harrigran Wed 27-May-15 23:17:56

With both of my GC I was told not to change their nappies for the six weeks after their immunisation. DIL was given information sheet from baby clinic.
You can now buy little terry cones that you pop over baby penis whilst changing nappy, prevents you getting shot in the eye.
Nappy changing in public is bad manners, we shouldn't have to experience those toxic nappies on a plane.

Lorie Thu 28-May-15 07:40:31

Very inappropriate, unhygienic and definitely unacceptable. The plane staff should take a notice and stop him/her doing it on the seat.

TriciaF Thu 28-May-15 09:56:13

Talking about this to Husband today, he disagrees with me and thinks it's disgusting too. Planes should have proper changing rooms for babies.
Can't see that happening though.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 12:09:18

They should perhaps book seats by the door where you get plenty of leg room, and change baby on lap. Though child rolling off was always a problem on the rare occasion I tried that.