Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that changing a child's nappy on an airline seat is antisocial?

(63 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 27-May-15 15:28:13

I was nonplussed when a woman in the same row on the opposite side of the plane to me ( two rows of three seats) stood up to get something out of the top lockers. She had taken off the child's nappy and sat her on the seat with nothing to protect the seat . She then spent a good few minutes rooting about in bags looking for a nappy.the poor man at the end of the row was kept standing until she had changed the child. I always assumed that this was possible in the loos on a plane. I never had to do this as my children didn't fly until out of nappies (for financial reasons). Has it become acceptable to do this? I thought airlines were making a fuss about girls sitting on their own in case there was a disreputable person next to them and here was a women sitting a bare bottomed toddler on a seat. DH was nearer and appalled . If there had been an " accident" how would the mum have managed? I felt very old fashioned and judgmental.

Stansgran Thu 28-May-15 12:57:54

Just come back to this and I was interested to see that some people felt it was ok. The flight was quite short 60 min but had been delayed so I can understand someone not wanting to change a child in the time when the flight might be called. The mum did cause a lot of fuss because she had either booked seats on line so that her older child was sitting at a window and so was she with the toddler. There was then a kerfuffle because there was a man sitting at the aisle seat(this was a Friday night commuter flight) on both rows and a couple came along who had booked together and a steward sorted it out by moving one of the men behind so two men plus one 8 year old . I think the steward then thought oops there has been a fuss about lone children next to adults and shifted everyone around which is what drew attention to the family as we were taking off at this point . Then the drinks trolley and then the mum holding everyone up,passenger standing while the toddler was changed. She was certainly too big to change on the knee .
JBF I don't think children are allowed by doors. DH was definitely of the public health issue. Fresh wee is sterile isn't it ?it's when it's stale and the mum didn't use wipes or protect the seat. It was a bit like watching a disaster movie. And I'd read the inflight magazine ..... BA by the way

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-May-15 12:59:54

I think it's a myth that fresh wee is sterile.

Tegan Thu 28-May-15 13:03:45

One of our doctors once told me that 'you'll never catch anything from urine' but he may have said that as we only had one sink in the place and all the urine samples went down it or sometimes lurked around for a bit and it was the same sink that I had to use to wash the cups etc hmm.

TriciaF Thu 28-May-15 14:11:31

I've been on flights where families with babies are given front middle 3 seats, against a dividing wall. Lot's of space in front with a sort of carrycot on the floor. So they have some privacy if Mum wants to feed or change nappy etc.
But maybe that was more of a long-haul flight, I don't think they provide it on eg Easyjet which is what I mainly use.

inishowen Thu 28-May-15 15:07:33

I actually changed my babies nappy on my lap during a flight. She was 5 months old and this was 1976. I was travelling alone, and the man and woman sitting next to me suggested I changed her where I sat. I have no idea if they had changing facilities in the toilet at the time. I was so grateful for the support from that couple. They could see I was young and exhausted. I had been travelling for 15 hours.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Thu 28-May-15 17:18:33

I wouldn't have been concerned at her changing baby, maybe flight was near taking off and she did it quickly. A changing mat or plastic bag would have been good. I think I would have been more concerned about my babys bare bottom on a seat that has seen hundreds of bottoms on it beforehand, of varying degrees of cleanliness....God bless the man for his patience in taking his seat.

Woodstock Thu 28-May-15 18:41:25

Recently, I flew from the UK to New Zealand with my daughter and 19month old granddaughter. We had paid for a seat for the toddler as she is rather large (not fat! Just 35inches tall).
It was impossible to change her nappy in any of the aircrafts' toilets ( and we had six flights in all) as the changing tables were not long enough to accommodate her. So, instead, we had to change her on the seat as there was no other option. But I will say that we covered the seat with a 'travel' changing mat.

Sunnyafternoon Mon 01-Jun-15 11:33:07

Oh come on!

So this woman was travelling alone with two kids and was probably already feeling harassed due to the mix up with seats causing attention to be drawn to her. The drinks trolley was coming and her daughters nappy was wet, not pooey. She had to make a decision to either try to navigate the oncoming drinks trolley with a toddler and changing bag, possibly having to make more people stand up, and leave her other child alone with strangers, or decide to do a much quicker change on the seat.

She chose the latter. Yes she should have used the changing facilities provided. Yes she should have put something down on the chair first but we all make mistakes and travelling with two kids is never easy, she was probably feeling flustered and stressed.

It's lovely to know that you and your "appauled" husband were sat there hoicking up your judgey pants rather than offering to help. Poor woman.

GillT57 Mon 01-Jun-15 12:03:11

I dont know whether this story is true but was assured by a stewardess friend that it was.........A very demanding passenger and irritable, whining small baby which needed a nappy change (poo). The passenger called steward and imperiously demanded that he change the baby. The steward took smelly, wailing baby and with approval of another family, brought back their baby and said 'will this one do?' grin

janerowena Mon 01-Jun-15 12:14:26

I was shoved right up by the wall in a row of four, and yes, we were near the loos - but the queue was about 20 long and we only had 15 mins to landing. DD's nappy and clothes were so wet from all the drinks I had given her to help with popping ears (and frankly to keep her quiet) that I just had to change her, so did it on my lap on her changing bag/mat and partly on OH's. I was horrified when I read that people use the drop down tables, because the airline do NOT clean them between every turnaround, as I had always supposed!

Mishap Mon 01-Jun-15 12:21:30

I do not think this is a big deal at all, or that the mother did anything wrong.

Wee is OK - my OH had to drink some when training as a doc - he's still here!

confusedbeetle Mon 01-Jun-15 16:56:00

Oh wow, I am slightly knocked back by this one so I will take a few points in order.
First one, no I dont think the mum was out of order at all, but she should have protected the seat. If the nappy had been full of faeces she would have been out of order. The sight of a tots bottom is not taboo
2. The lady in the restaurant should not have changed the baby on the table.
3. When a toddler needs to go, he needs to go so quickly the dad did well to think on his feet, disaster averted. Its only toddler wee! The Dad did right to guide him, otherwise misfires are common.
4. Polio vaccine is no longer live. Even in the old days we were talking about the faeces of little babies in the days after the 2mth 3 mth and 4mth jabs

I agree with Anya, lighten up everyone. Parents do a brilliant job flying with small children and minimising their stress. Plane toilets are horrible and no place to change a child unless a full nappy.
Doesnt anyone remember travelling with children? I do. I have volunteered to fly with three toddler grandchildren this year and am very realistic about how much fun it might not be