Gransnet forums

AIBU

menopause comments

(55 Posts)
pattypan Tue 09-Jun-15 16:34:25

At the weekend we were going out to lunch. I spent ages getting ready, wanting to look nice for the occasion. I wore a pale blue cotton shirt and when he saw it my husband said "well that's going to look great with sweat patches if you get a hot flush isn't it?"

I was so taken aback. Yes, actually he was right, but just for once I would like my life not to be governed by the bloody menopause which is really not proving to be fun at all. Am I unreasonable to want this?

hildajenniJ Tue 29-Sep-15 19:43:49

Oh dear, I was a bit previous with the red meat. I am still having flushes. It must just have been a few days blip! I am still not eating red meat.

queenMab99 Tue 29-Sep-15 17:54:52

I replaced dairy products with soya, and had no problems at all.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:38:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:38:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

coles Thu 09-Jul-15 13:48:46

I can appreciate every woman's problems with hot flushes. I fainted with mine on several occasions. Some years later I did a herbal and advanced herbal course. I advised my peers to make Sage tea, let it cool, add a slice of lemon to combat the very strong flavour of the herb and drink three glasses a day. It really does ease the flushes. Have a break after three months of two weeks or so, then begin again. Best of luck, Margaret.

Belleringer Thu 09-Jul-15 13:37:31

Sorry, previous post was in reply to Gillybob, way back up the thread!

Belleringer Thu 09-Jul-15 13:34:54

I do agree. My GP is wonderful and prescribes HRT even though I have a history of breast cysts. I recently had to come off it to have an op and intended to stay off but after 6 weeks I felt so ill I restarted and within days my life was transformed back to (fairly) normal again. I know there is a risk of breast cancer but I'm prepared to take that risk in order to live a normal life.

Liz46 Wed 17-Jun-15 22:19:17

The big C is most unfair. Two friends of mine are suffering with it at the moment and both are lovely ladies. They never have a bad word to say about anyone and really really don't deserve it.

Judthepud2 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:15:11

Liz46 I had oestrogen and progesterone positive breast cancer but never took HRT, and I breastfed my 2 youngest until 15 months. I did all the right things but the cancer still hit! So taking HRT may be ok for those who are really suffering from the menopause. The big C is really no respecter of anyone or anything IMO.

shysal Wed 17-Jun-15 17:25:51

I lied in the above post, I share my bed with 2 cats. When they do the 'mashed potato' on top of the sheet which covers me they occasionally pierce the Chillows. They are now decorated with bits of duct tape where I have done repairs.

shysal Wed 17-Jun-15 17:21:36

I am still having sweats after at least 20 years. I don't know how I would cope without my Chillows. I have 4; two mini ones under the pillow for my hands, and a large one either side of me inside the bed. To 'get your leg over' onto one is bliss! As you may have guessed, I sleep alone!

HildaW Wed 17-Jun-15 16:42:44

I am no nutritionist, but I think there is a general consensus that just because a foodstuff contains certain substances this does not necessarily mean we, (as humans in general or individuals with our own personal chemical mechanisms), can access it.

Evidently I have been anaemic throughout most of my adult life and at this late stage my new GP is determined to 'get to the bottom of it'. I eat a sort of demi veggie diet with a little high quality red meat from time to time and quite a lot of vegetable based meals. A course of constipation inducing iron tablets soon brings me back up but she wants to find if there is any other cause. She tuts at the milk I consume - saying it can reduce iron intake....so hey ho....we shall see.

Liz46 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:28:46

Yes, cabbage seems to contain 4% calcium. We are never too old to learn. By the way, I do have soya milk on my weetabix in the morning. I think that is good for hormones but it does not taste good in tea. I start the day off well with chopped almonds, banana, dried apricots, goji berries, sunflower seeds and flax on my cereal and then go downhill for the rest of the day when I start needing a chocolate fix or something equally bad.

Liz46 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:21:17

If that's true Hilda, I will be o.k. We have loads of lovely cabbage on the allotment at the moment - off to google!

grannyactivist Wed 17-Jun-15 14:40:36

I recently had investigations for post-menopausal bleeding and my biggest fear was that I would be told I have to come off my (very low dose) HRT. Fortunately the problem I have is actually alleviated by HRT and the consultant said I can stay on it for the foreseeable future. Hooray!! grin

I actually thought I was going insane before going on to HRT; the menopause coincided with me developing hypothyroidism and having an increase in migraines to at least three a week. It was a horrible time; 'brain fog' doesn't even begin to describe my lack of mental capacity - I literally couldn't think straight and I ended up on anti-depressants until the HRT, levothyroxin and a prophylactic for migraine kicked in.

soontobe Wed 17-Jun-15 14:32:17

Liz46. I up my calcium from dairy products when I can get away with it. I have always had hot flushes in batches for some reason.

I eat green leaves.

HildaW Wed 17-Jun-15 14:22:28

I keep being told that its actually green leaves that are best for calcium. And the older we get the less dairy we actually need. Trouble Is I do like my milky coffees in the morning!

Liz46 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:19:02

I've just had the results of my mammogram - all clear. That's a relief as I know I may have increased my risk by so many years of using HRT. Isn't it awful opening the envelope?

I'm finding the comments about diet and hot flushes interesting. We have been thinking about changing our diet a bit and reducing meat. Don't we need calcium from dairy products to keep our bones healthy?

hildajenniJ Tue 16-Jun-15 18:32:34

I once read that ladies on the Indian subcontinent did not suffer from hot flushes. They have a diet low in meat and dairy (apart from ghee), and high in pulses and rice. My DD makes a lot of meals with the main ingredient being lentils (she has fibromyalgia) and very little meat. While visiting I found that I had no hot flushes. DH's new healthy eating diet has the same effect.

janerowena Tue 16-Jun-15 16:14:42

Ah... I have a small helping of only one of those a day. I used to really love cream, so had it on porridge. Then I would have cheese and biscuits either for lunch or as a late snack, if I didn't have that as a late snack I would have greek yoghourt with fruit. Now I just pick one (not the porridge, or the crackers though!), and am fine. Also the amount of cream I have is tiny, just a drizzle on fresh fruit.

dustyangel Tue 16-Jun-15 14:13:36

I've only just caught up with this thread and have had a light bulb moment.

I've been trying to work out why I'm having hot flushes for no apparent reason. At 72 they should be long gone and certainly were extremely rare.

I've been doing the low carb diet since Easter. In general I feel much better on it. I've not eaten much dairy for many years now since I had to completely cut out saturated fats to control IBS but on the diet, because I don't eat meat was finding it difficult to have enough variety so started eating a lot more cheese. Also Greek yoghurt and even cream occasionally. Digestion wise I've been fine but will obviously cut right back on dairy now and see what happens.

janerowena Mon 15-Jun-15 23:04:35

A friend of mine thinks so, as she is now coming out of it. She has managed to drive long distances lately, and doesn't need an afternoon nap very often. She is now 58 and started hers some years ago. She seems much better to me, she can manage a quite tiring day out now as long as she has a good night's sleep. She comes to stay with me so I know her patterns well. She was in her 30s when she got ME, and was starting to get better when the menopause started. She got far worse and very irritable as well. hmm Also low. She's much nicer now. grin

gillybob Mon 15-Jun-15 22:29:52

I have an appointment with a practice nurse tomorrow and I intend to raise the subject of HRT with her in the hope that she might point me in the direction of another (perhaps more sympathetic) GP. I know that there are "risks" involved with taking HRT but I feel so miserable at the minute that it might be a risk worth taking. I only ever took the contraceptive pill for a couple of years (between 19 and 23), my sister took it for almost 30 years non stop and went straight on to HRT immediately after coming off the pill, even though she hadn't experienced any menopausal symptoms. We share the same mum so surely we would share the same risks?

As some of you may be aware I have MS, which has thankfully been in remission for some time now, although recently I am finding that my legs and arms are very weak and aching all the time. I am suffering from extreme fatigue and finding myself struggling to find the right words in conversation, all of which are symptoms of my MS. I wonder if the menopause could be aggravating my condition? Does anyone know if this could be the case? X

Liz46 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:55:41

Oh yes!

Ariadne Wed 10-Jun-15 19:41:50

Exactly, Liz46 - I was unlucky. Other indicators are being overweight, drinking too much, smoking etc etc - all the usual suspects. But the oestrogen positive tumours (there are other sorts) thrive on oestrogen, and if you are taking absorbing it at a time when your body is not supplying it, then there could be a link. The latest HRT research will, I am sure, have considered this.

My point was that the difference that HRT made to my life was so significant thatI cannot imagine what I would have done without it, or would do.

(There's a cartoon of a "mannogram" on my profile...have a look!)