Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is very rude

(63 Posts)
Bellanonna Tue 09-Jun-15 23:55:08

I always read them. It just seems natural. I probably wouldn't do it in friends' houses, or not without asking first.

harrigran Tue 09-Jun-15 23:21:58

We always read family cards too, I don't think it is rude, if they are on display.

Deedaa Tue 09-Jun-15 22:54:08

I always write very little in DH's cards precisely because I know that people will automatically be picking them up and reading them.

Leticia Tue 09-Jun-15 22:50:39

If you put them on display people assume they can read them.

numberplease Tue 09-Jun-15 22:37:17

We all do it in our family, not that there`s ever anything outrageous in ours, not so far, anyway.

Grannyknot Tue 09-Jun-15 22:32:40

I presume that they are either the brother or sister of your DH? I'd read my siblings' cards if they were displayed. I was "dying" to read the wedding anniversary cards my son and his wife had exchanged blush so I had a peek when they were out and I was babysitting.

I would almost go so far as to say it's hard to resist reading cards that are on display.

soontobe Tue 09-Jun-15 22:28:48

Some people think it is rude. Some not.
Some do it almost automatically.

Tegan Tue 09-Jun-15 22:26:01

Oh I do that as well blush. But probably only with family. I always look at the birthday cards at my daughters house. Then again, I wouldn't do it till they'd gone out [I usually babysit for them on her birthday].If it was my DIL's birthday I wouldn't look at her cards.

Anya Tue 09-Jun-15 22:20:18

Honestly NanKate I don't expect they thought it was rude, for the same reason as everyone above ie. they were on display.

Ana Tue 09-Jun-15 22:12:36

A lot of people do that. If the cards are on display I expect they thought it was OK to have a look...confused

merlotgran Tue 09-Jun-15 22:12:26

Birthday cards are not private if they are put out on display so I don't suppose they thought anyone would mind.

Mishap Tue 09-Jun-15 22:11:13

My DDs always look through the cards that we display - I think the principle is not to display any that you do not want to read by anyone else.

NanKate Tue 09-Jun-15 22:06:56

My brother in law and sister in law called in on my DH's 70th Birthday weekend. They were left for a few minutes alone whilst I made them a cuppa. When I came back in the room they were reading all his birthday cards - not just looking at the front of the cards but reading the personal messages.

I had put a few personal comments inside my card to DH which I hadn't expected anyone else reading.

I'm still miffed at how rude they were.