Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think people should keep their shoes on in public rooms?

(106 Posts)
janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 14:57:59

Last night was choir practice for one of the choirs I belong to, a community choir of around 40. It was still around 32C in the shade at 7pm, but even so, the room we use to practise in is also used by many other clubs, and is carpeted. Many of the women and some of the men removed their shoes.

I just couldn't have done it. Partly because I think of all the other poor people who have to walk over the carpet after me, including crawling toddlers at playgroup (mud can be vacuumed up, after all, but not sweat) and partly because I wouldn't want my own feet to walk over the grime and grot of ages.

I had no idea I felt that way until last night!

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 06:57:26

Thank you Greyduster. flowers
On Mumsnet there are a whole lot of people who have shoes off rules in their house- so much so that I thought maybe I ought to offer, but I found in RL people were all telling me to keep them on.
It all seems rather Hyacinth Bucket to me- and thought she was supposed to be a joke!
I do of course take them off if I have been on a muddy walk or it is very wet etc.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 07:11:17

Yes, many modern mums are aware of the dangerous bacteria trampled into their carpets by street shoes, some of the deadly.

This short article says it all

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 07:12:09

Oh the link has broken .. will try again

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 07:17:18

In a recent study, researchers at the University of Arizona found nine different species of bacteria on people's shoes. These types of bacteria can cause infections in our stomachs, eyes and lungs.

The study also found bacteria live longer on our shoes than in other places. As we walk, we constantly pick up new debris that feeds the growth of more bacteria.

The researchers tested to see if bacteria on shoes would transfer to the tile floors in a house. More than 90 percent of the time it did. Carpeting harbors bacteria even more.

'GMA's' Test Results

"GMA's" test results were "dirtier than a toilet seat," said Jonathan Sexton, a research assistant at the University of Arizona's College of Public Health. "Toilet seats generally have 1,000 bacteria or less, and these are in the millions so there's a lot more bacteria here."

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 10:21:28

I hate to think what is on people's bare feet then! I have never understood why people want me paddling around in bare feet rather than my sandals.

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 10:24:03

Better keep children off the grass - or making mud pies or anywhere else that isn't sanitised. I am sure that is why there are more allergies whereas when I was young people didn't bother and I can't remember it being a problem.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 10:38:32

I wash my feet daily... don't you Leticia?

shock

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 10:40:12

Apparently grass is cleaner than pavements.

crun Tue 07-Jul-15 12:37:47

Anya: "In a recent study, researchers at the University of Arizona found nine different species of bacteria on people's shoes. These types of bacteria can cause infections in our stomachs, eyes and lungs.

The study also found bacteria live longer on our shoes than in other places. As we walk, we constantly pick up new debris that feeds the growth of more bacteria.

The researchers tested to see if bacteria on shoes would transfer to the tile floors in a house. More than 90 percent of the time it did. Carpeting harbors bacteria even more."

And the same Uni also found that:

"the filthiest culprit in our homes is the kitchen sponge or cloth...........a kitchen sponge is 200,000 times dirtier than a toilet seat, and a dishcloth is 20,000 times dirtier."

Professor John Oxford at London Uni found that:

"Some people have more faecal bacteria in their grocery bag than in their underwear.........but we all touch these perhaps startlingly dirty things every day, and on the whole we don't get constantly ill"

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 13:03:53

Scary isn't it?

Galen Tue 07-Jul-15 13:25:53

I walk round barefoot as I haven't found a pair of shoes that don't hurt my arthritic feet.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 13:32:30

I think a survey should be undertaken. Perhaps by that same university department.

"Are older women, of the types that are attracted to Internet forums, more likely to be amongst the neurotic of the population? If yes, did their neuroticism start before or after joining such forums?"

hmm

Iam64 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:51:30

jingle - good to have you making me laugh again.

I don't expect others to remove their shoes when they visit but always check whether I should do so when I'm the visitor. When visiting Muslim homes, shoes are off at the door, no need to ask, just do it.

I'm fairly obsessive about either chucking j cloths or bleaching any cloths I use in the kitchen. I don't use those anti bacterial wipe things because they block up the sewers or need to be buried, don't break down easily. I do believe some folks have become totally obsessed with germs. Mind you, I used to have hens, went horse riding, brushed and groomed horses, mucked out stables and share my life with a dog or 3. No hope really is there smile

janerowena Tue 07-Jul-15 13:52:48

Definitely after. jings! grin

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 14:12:53

You could do with expanding the brief of such a survey to include 'paranoid wreck' and 'dyslexia' or would that be a seperate thread perhaps? wink

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 15:27:32

I wash my feet daily, Anya but that was 7.30am. Since then I have done a supermarket shop, an hour of Zumba and a several mile walk - so all in all I think that were I to pop next door for a cup of tea my sandals would be a better bet than my feet. However, I have read the reports about dishcloths, perhaps I ought to present my neighbour with a new cloth rather than risk her bacteria!

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 16:10:06

Following that logic Lettiicia I'm surprised you take your shoes off when you go to bed!

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 17:07:28

I have washed my feet again by then, Anya!
Also- if you want to be logical - I keep them on for comfort ( people have such cold floors) and they wouldn't be comfortable in bed (and they won't be cold either)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 17:07:41

Anya! I've just got that joke! You mean old - oompah. hmm grin

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 17:08:45

Perhaps we should all have a bowl of soap and water by the door- and towel- so that we can prevent visitors arriving with bacteria!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Jul-15 17:09:16

Leticia you're alright so long as your neighbour doesn't still suck her toes.

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 17:38:52

grin Jingle.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 19:32:29

You took your time there jinglroastchicken

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 19:34:38

Leticia you keep your feet on for comfort?

be still my inner pedant

Ana Tue 07-Jul-15 19:41:10

And the bowl by the door wouldn't actually prevent visitors from 'arriving with bacteria' - you'd have to tackle their feet before they left their house and then carry them by germ-free rickshaw to your freshly-scrubbed doorstep! grin