Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have support for hospital appointment!

(65 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sat 04-Jul-15 17:52:20

I have to have further investigations at hospital following my recent mammogram. I asked my DH to accompany me, as it is a full day affair. DH asked his manager at work for the day off. She said no, and if he took the day off it would result in disciplinary action! Is this common policy in every workplace? One of the ethical values of the Co-op is "caring for others". This does not sound very caring to me. Well, I'll just have to go by myself on the bus.

Liz46 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:23:34

Oh dear, absent!

absent Tue 07-Jul-15 07:41:30

Fingers crossed for good news hildajenniJ. At least you wont be alone on the bus after a barium enema. It truly doesn't bear thinking about. grin

annsixty Tue 07-Jul-15 07:39:12

I also have a hospital appt this morning so I will be thinking of you hilda I have been where you are and know the feeling well. My own is only for confirmation of a diagnosis and sorting out treatment so no butterflies .

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Jul-15 07:23:38

I am all ready to go. The bus departs at 08.10. My appointment is at 11.15. I will have a couple of hours to mooch around the shops, and get a coffee. I am not as worried as I thought I would be. My DD thinks all will be well, and she often has a sixth sense about these things. I will give you all an update later.
Thank you all for the good wishes.

Lona Mon 06-Jul-15 22:37:58

Best wishes for tomorrow Hilda, I'm glad you aren't going alone.

Luckygirl Mon 06-Jul-15 21:49:13

Good luck - I am so glad that your sister is able to be with you.

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:00:52

hildaJ good luck with your appointment, I am thinking about you its not long since I went for the appointment that changed my life. I hope all is well for you though. flowers.

loopylou Mon 06-Jul-15 20:59:36

I'll be thinking of you Hildaj, fingers crossed and good luck x

Katek Mon 06-Jul-15 20:55:54

Good luck Hilda-same thing happened to me and when I got there they couldn't find anything at all! It had been a fluid filled cyst which the mammogram procedure itself had popped. Glad you have your sister though smile

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:23:03

I hope it goes well tomorrow, Hilda. That's not like the Coop to be so mean about an important health appointment. They usually take a kinder stance. It wasn't commonplace where I worked - we would have allowed the time off and if the hours were needed to be completed (usually not) they could be made up another time, or taken from leave allowance.

Judthepud2 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:14:12

Good luck for tomorrow Hilda and glad you will have someone with you after all. flowers

I remember very well how it felt, and was very glad of DH with me! Let us know how it goes. Rooting for you.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:33:01

best wishes hildajenniJ for the appointment. Shame on your oh's boss.

Elegran Mon 06-Jul-15 17:49:50

I was told that nine times out of ten it is a technical problem, or a "doubtful" area which turns out to be OK.

Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 17:44:19

Wishing you well for tomorrow hildajenniJ Glad your sister will be with you and fingers crossed it is nothing worse than a cyst or problem with the last image flowers

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Jul-15 14:58:21

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I usually take a notepad with me just in case I need to write anything down. I did this when accompanying my late mother on her appointments. My lovely sister says she will meet me at the bus station and go with me. She is going to Norway on Wednesday and I did not want to bother her. She says that most of her preparations are done now and she will only be too happy to go with me. Thanks again everyone. hjj.

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jul-15 11:55:32

I do think that the suggestion about a notepad is a good one. I once took my DD with me for an ortho appointment when things had been going wrong and I needed to be clear what was said; and my OH with PD has just started agreeing to me going in with him in the hope that two aging brains might be better than one! The next best thing is a notebook - and it might be worth talking to OH and deciding between you what you need to ask.

I wish you every good luck with this appointment. The last time a had a similar one, I was on and off the loo in the waiting room and the nurses took pity on me and pushed me through early! I hope you do not suffer from the same problem! - and I hope it all goes well for you. Please imagine a virtual "hit squad" as suggested above.

Nonnie Sun 05-Jul-15 11:55:00

Same thing happened to me. DH had to go for the results of a brain scan and I wanted to go with him but I was refused because there was going to be an announcement that day and I might have been needed to discuss with people afterwards. I already knew what the announcement was and there were plenty of other people they could talk to. Mine was a female boss too.

TriciaF Sun 05-Jul-15 10:54:10

Some towns have voluntary organisations of people who offer lifts for hospital appointments - CAB might know.
For an appt. like yours, if you're on your own, take a notepad and pen to jot things down that you're told.
Then if your husband can't come you'll be sure to have the right info for him.
Good luck!

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Jul-15 10:20:12

Thank you for your ideas everyone. It is the journey home that bothered me. I am perfectly happy to go by myself. My DH needs the car, so I will be unable to drive myself there and back. The bus is quite convenient, as it is only about a five minute walk to the hospital from the bus station. Everything is fairly central. I'll manage, I'm sure. I will let you all know about my adventure on Wednesday.

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jul-15 00:13:32

Hildajennij Is it someone to be at the hospital to give you some moral support you do you need or someone to help you get there?

Some hospitals seem to have a volunteer hospital buddy system which I think is supposed to be available to offer people some when visiting clinics etc. I would try ringing the clinic concerned and asking them if they could help or advise on this.
Here is some info about one such scheme. I have no idea where you live.

www.croydonhealthservices.nhs.uk/default.aspx.locid-01xnew058.Lang-EN.htm

durhamjen Sat 04-Jul-15 23:08:39

Can you contact Ageuk and find out if there is anyone who can take you?

vampirequeen Sat 04-Jul-15 22:27:26

Surely he's entitled to compassionate leave. He needs to contact his union.

hildajenniJ Sat 04-Jul-15 22:13:37

Don't know to any Gnetters near enough to me. I don't mind having to go by myself. It's the coming home on the bus that I'm not looking forward to. I wrote a very kind email, reminding them of their ethics, which are there online for all to see. I really don't think that they will be offended. Thank you all for your support. I am taking my book with me to pass the time.

ginny Sat 04-Jul-15 21:57:11

It is a shame that he can't come with you and hope all goes well for you. Not sure though that I would have sent such an e-mail without knowing the whole story from your husband.

annsixty Sat 04-Jul-15 21:18:17

I would be delighted to help locally and must say sometimes might need help. Let us persue this if possible.