Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is she having a laugh?

(16 Posts)
Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 13:21:23

My GD2 has chicken pox. Normally wouldn't have her on a Tuesday or Wednesday as she goes to nursery these days. My DiL finished work at 12.00 and still hasn't collected her and, much though I love GD2 I have things I need to do.

Just texted her to say 'have you forgotten someone?'

angry

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 13:24:02

shock

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 13:24:49

Hope that somebody rushes off there to collect her!

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 13:28:42

I'm thinking, that because GD2 goes to nursery for a full day on Tuesday, DiL's beggared off to do the shopping or down the gym, assuming I'm having her for the full day as per nursery.

I had her overnight too.

Sod this for a lark!

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 13:31:15

I can't even take her out because she's still infectious and running a temp, and all she wants to do is lie on the sofa and watch TV. I've had it up to here with CBeebies hmm

Ana Tue 07-Jul-15 13:33:43

That's just taking advantage, Anya! No reply yet?

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 13:34:01

Poor you, and poor little thing with a temp. two of our young grandchildren constantly have Spots/ colds/temps and it makes them very ratty and hard to deal with.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 13:35:28

Nothing yet.

Ceesnan Tue 07-Jul-15 13:52:34

A few years ago DDiL arrived at 7.30am withDGD saying "i don't think she'll be going to school today, she's been sick and has a temperature." (I take and pick up from school). Before I could stop myself I said "why on earth have you brought her round here then?" Cue for DDiL to look embarrassed and struggle to explain and I let her stew for a while before agreeing that THIS TIME I would look after her, but in future I would expect a phone call asking if it was okay. If I were you. Anya I would definitely let her know you are not happy. We shouldn't be taken for granted, much as we love the DGC.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 14:02:31

Grrrrrr....she's just arrived and whisked her off. When I asked where has she been she said she'd told me she would be late.

No she b****y well didn't angry

She's always saying she's told us something when she hasn't. Now I could accept that if other people were tellong me that too, but they don't. I gave a very complicated childcare regime with my DD as my SiL works shifts, and things are always swapping around. Funny that DD and I never get our wires crossed.

Ana Tue 07-Jul-15 14:11:40

Difficult with DILs! At least you can get on now, Anya.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 14:14:37

Yep! Off down the garden centre sunshine

Bellanonna Tue 07-Jul-15 14:25:18

I sympathise Anya. I've often been told "I told you " when I know it's not true. Hope you enjoy the afternoon!

HildaW Tue 07-Jul-15 14:40:07

Anya....I'd slowly start introducing the sort of conversation one would have with a 'professional' childminder. (not that you are not....if you get my drift).

As child is handed over one should check with the 'client'....mother...your DIL....'anything I need to know?' or 'any changes to day?'....all said in a very bright and breezy way of course because, lets face it, its so easy for people to take offense if they are looking for an excuse.

Its very good of you to childcare when the child is poorly, its quite a lot to ask...some children can be quite unwell, and certainly fractious, with chicken pox.

KatyK Tue 07-Jul-15 14:53:26

Oh the times I've heard that 'well I did tell you' and I think no you didn't but because I am the 'old' one they just give me that knowing 'silly old fool' look. Thing is I have a very good memory smile

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 16:25:50

I'm glad it's not just me!

I think I'll take your advice Hilda and make everything very clear at point of drop off. I could even play the 'silly old fool' card and get her to repeat everything twice grin

I don't mind looking after sick children as it often involves extra hugs, but I do get stir crazy if I can't take them out of the house.