Gransnet forums

AIBU

To like bread and butter

(87 Posts)
felice Mon 05-Oct-15 14:57:43

I had some lovely artisan bread and farmhouse butter for my lunch today.
When a friend phoned for a chat and I told her this she was horrified, getting in a state and asking if that was all I had to eat. I reassured her that I had plenty of food but she has phoned DD, giving her an earful for 'neglecting' me and other friends saying I was sitting alone with only bread to eat.
The friends she called were here for lunch yesterday and know I have lots of food, I have called an reassured her and told her not to call anyone else.
AIBU to just enjoy really good bread and butter ?

TriciaF Tue 20-Oct-15 16:47:55

Yes, she used to put the salt in at the end.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 10:18:53

When you think what is in butter - cream from milk, it wouldn't have any flavour without the salt. It's the salt we like.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Oct-15 10:16:58

Benecol light has a delicious flavour. Some butters just taste like - fat.

TriciaF Tue 20-Oct-15 10:08:00

Lowfat marg - I agree it's nothing like butter. But I was told not to eat butter after my heart attack - I think they've changed their view about butter now.
My Auntie Pat, a farmer's wife , used to make butter from the cream from their own cows. She had a machine called a separator, you put the milk in and it separates the cream from the buttermilk. Then she worked the butter churn by hand.

PollyEster1 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:43:48

Agree totally, Ana re: low fat marg.Ugh! And that stuff we're not supposed to believe is not butter - who are they kidding? shock

Anyway,can anyone explain to me what 'best' butter is? Both my mother and grandmother used to use that phrase and I've always wondered...

Ana Mon 19-Oct-15 21:10:57

Lurpak salted - lovely! Low fat marg - not lovely! grin

PollyEster1 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:03:09

I found my fave German rye bread in my local M&S, where they bake on site.That, plus Lurpak salted butter= food of the Gods for me.Always a red letter day when I happen to go there and they still have some. Before I knew I could get it here, I used to bring loaves back from visits to my family in the USAgrin

Co-op tiger bread rolls, like the crusty cobs of yore, are fab too.

TriciaF Mon 19-Oct-15 17:11:32

Don't mention french bread - it's nothing like real english bread. After a few hours it's like concrete. A neighbour worked in a school kitchen here (France) and used to bring the bread leftovers every day, for our hens. I had to soak them first.
I make all our bread and am so glad we don't have to follow a gluten-free diet! I make white brioche type, and wholemeal with Doves Farm flour.
So I eat a lot of bread, but with lowfat marg. not butter.
It's the staff of life.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:29:10

Even our French bread is better than the French one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:28:24

How did that happen?!

Start again.

I have never managed to buy any bread in a 'foreign' baker's that was anywhere near as good as UK bakers' bread. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Oct-15 12:26:03

I have never found a

felice Mon 19-Oct-15 12:21:21

It's what the posh bakers here called the lovely homemade bread baked fresh on the premises every morning.
The normal corner shop bakers which we are lucky enough still to have also do lovely different breads.
The thing is you have to eat it the same day, no preservatives allowed.
SIL had bought the bread I had from a very posh bakers/pattisserie.

LuckyDucky Mon 19-Oct-15 09:55:03

Hi Felice

What on earth is "artisan" bread?confused

seacliff Thu 08-Oct-15 08:15:52

Got that song in my head now Rosequartz!

seacliff Thu 08-Oct-15 08:11:51

We had white sugar sandwiches too. And dripping on toast - we sprinkled salt on it just for a really healthy treat!

Also had porridge with condensed milk poured over it in a lovely whirly pattern - yum.

shysal Thu 08-Oct-15 08:01:08

I also remember condensed milk sandwiches, sickly sweet but delicious!

Nannanoo Wed 07-Oct-15 15:15:40

I remember when I was a student nurse, back in the early 'sixties. The Doctors and Ward Sisters had butter for their bread, but we students had to make do with dripping! We didn't complain, tho - it was absolutely delicious, with all the tasty meat jelly and brown roasty bits stirred in. You can't get that sort of thing now - the Health Police banned it years ago!

poppycat1 Wed 07-Oct-15 14:53:27

Buppy brought back memories. My lovely Grampy called it that.

felice Wed 07-Oct-15 14:38:49

I hope so too, the lady helping me teaches home Economics so between us we have plenty of experience.

We are getting donations from the congregation of Quiches and desserts, so doing lots of tasty salads, roasted veg, salmon mousse, really easy recipe, dips, etc.
Also using some of the tasty suggestions from here.
If I remember i will take some photos and post them.

I have an M&S ready meal in the freezer for myself for Sunday evening,,,lol.

rosequartz Wed 07-Oct-15 14:28:10

smile hope it goes well

felice Wed 07-Oct-15 14:26:22

Would love to do just bread and butter, unfortunately we have so many Intolerances that half of them would not get anything.
When we host this event again in 7 years thae are getting glasses of water and i will be on holiday !!!!!!

Granart Wed 07-Oct-15 14:09:34

I remember eating bread and butter with ice cream at a friends house while watching the coronation on their tv.

rosequartz Wed 07-Oct-15 14:01:52

Yes, felice mentioned on another thread that she is cooking for 200 people!!

Felice you could always give them lots of lovely different breads and various types of butter grin

granfromafar Wed 07-Oct-15 13:44:14

Felice - did you really mean you are cooking for 200 next Sunday or was that a typo? I had sleepless nights before cooking for 7 last Sunday! Hope it goes well. Enjoy your b& b as often as you want! smile

MadGrandma Wed 07-Oct-15 12:41:03

I too ate sugar sandwiches (on Mother's Pride bread) as a youngster. (I may even admit to eating one more recently!! However my favourite treat was toast spread with bacon dripping! My mum used to keep a small white bowl in the fridge, and every time she cooked bacon, she'd add the fat to the bowl!
My DH doesn't eat marg or butter at all - he missed out on these treats!