Gransnet forums

AIBU

To like bread and butter

(86 Posts)
felice Mon 05-Oct-15 14:57:43

I had some lovely artisan bread and farmhouse butter for my lunch today.
When a friend phoned for a chat and I told her this she was horrified, getting in a state and asking if that was all I had to eat. I reassured her that I had plenty of food but she has phoned DD, giving her an earful for 'neglecting' me and other friends saying I was sitting alone with only bread to eat.
The friends she called were here for lunch yesterday and know I have lots of food, I have called an reassured her and told her not to call anyone else.
AIBU to just enjoy really good bread and butter ?

LullyDully Mon 05-Oct-15 14:59:25

Go for it. Sounds very tasty.

felice Mon 05-Oct-15 15:00:09

P.S. I did a lot of cooking over the weekend and am doing lunch for 200 next Sunday so enjoying a couple of days of leftovers and no 'real' cooking.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Oct-15 15:04:12

I love bread and butter, and often have just that for my supper! I don't think you are being unreasonable. "A little of what you fancy does you good".

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 15:05:40

Lovely!

I am trying to avoid bread at the moment (hoping my painful joints might improve) but I am licking my lips at the thought of your lunch.

DM always asked for a volunteer to cut and butter the bread for tea - whoever volunteered was allowed the crust with extra butter before we sat down for the meal.

ninathenana Mon 05-Oct-15 15:07:02

Your friend sounds a bit of a control freak. I would not appreciate her making such phone calls on my behalf.
If I wanted to eat some lovely tasty bread with butter I don't see a problem. If I wanted to eat cold baked beans from a can I don't see a problem grin

tanith Mon 05-Oct-15 15:10:55

I often have a slice of crusty bread and butter when I'm in the kitchen for one thing or another no problem at all with it.

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 15:12:39

She certainly sounds a bit over-zealous!

felice Mon 05-Oct-15 15:14:42

She likes lame ducks, is 87 and has a rather tactiturn husband, she cannot understand that to live alone does not mean someone is lonely, and is constantly 'checking up' on single friends.
I should really not have mentioned it to her but was enjoying it so much I wanted to share.
Happy to know I am not wierd to have enjoyed my bread and butter.
She is very lonely but somehow always manages to twist any assistance offered to make it look as if we are the ones needing the company.

Charleygirl Mon 05-Oct-15 15:16:06

I would not be too happy with your friend's reaction. You are obviously not starving at home, just having a little of what you fancy. I would add a bit of jam but each to his own.

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 15:20:10

How many people have toast and butter for breakfast?

It's the same thing - only toasted and a different time of day!
I may have added jam as well, Charleygirl grin

Eloethan Mon 05-Oct-15 15:20:14

I like bread and butter too, though as a personal preference I would probably eat it with a banana or a boiled egg. As you eat fairly well the rest of the time, I don't see why your friend was making such a fuss.

I think it is an absolute cheek your friend telephoning your daughter. I think it would be very upsetting for your daughter to be accused of neglecting you and she may think you have instigated it. Your friend sounds like a bit of a stirrer to me.

Luckygirl Mon 05-Oct-15 15:20:49

What a funny friend!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Oct-15 15:24:51

I have on occasion had just bread and butter for lunch, but I did find I was hungry again soon afterwards. I think we need a bit of protein with it.

Your friend does sound very sweet actually. I hope everyone knows to take her with a pinch of salt. smile

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 15:26:11

^ I hope everyone knows to take her with a pinch of salt^
plus an egg and soldiers

felice Mon 05-Oct-15 15:31:36

DD thought it was hilarious, she knows the lady well, as DD said wouldn't do me any harm to live off my fat for a while anyway, cheeky but true.
I think part of my friends problem is she has always been very busy and involved in lots of charity work etc.
Now she can no longer manage to do much she is really quite lost.
They live a long way out of the city so not easy to drop in for a visit.
Also going a bit deaf !!
DD and DGS just went back upstairs with a chunk of B&B each.

numberplease Mon 05-Oct-15 16:06:16

I wouldn`t eat ordinary sliced bread on it`s own, but sliced off a freshly baked crusty loaf, it`s delicious. When we were in Turkey, I was so fond of the locally baked bread that I often ate it without even butter.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 16:33:34

Ooohh! Crusty French Baton and butter or Pain Rustique or Soda bread or.....
Has to be very fresh and crusty; DH has just wandered in with a slice if crusty rye bread and peanut butter smile

felice bless your friend (and your daughter!) Sounds just like a comment my daughter would make grin

shysal Mon 05-Oct-15 16:46:24

I could quite happily live on crusty bread and butter, with a bit of cheese now and again. I don't think that would distress any of my family or friends!

rosesarered Mon 05-Oct-15 16:52:18

Next time say you are dining on bread and butter, and caviare.grin

kittylester Mon 05-Oct-15 16:59:38

Stop talking about bread and butter!! grin

Indinana Mon 05-Oct-15 17:08:04

Bread and butter is definitely one of my most favourite foods. Good, fresh, crusty bread, not the sliced cr@p wrapped in plastic that is passed off as bread in the supermarkets. With a chunk of good cheddar. Yum smile

For some reason, when I was very little, we used to call bread and butter 'buppy'. Maybe a family thing, probably my eldest sibling's first attempts at saying it and it stuck, and we all said it, even my mother when talking to us.

Leticia Mon 05-Oct-15 17:14:08

I can't think of anything nicer than fresh, crusty bread and butter.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Oct-15 17:24:30

My granny called it buppy! I used to, to the grandsons.

Indinana Mon 05-Oct-15 17:45:12

Oh, so it wasn't just our family then! I've wondered about that now and again smile