Gransnet forums

AIBU

Personal cleanliness

(167 Posts)
NanKate Tue 06-Oct-15 07:35:57

On Sunday we went to a NT property for a lovely walk through the grounds to look at the trees beginning to turn, it was wonderful.

We stopped at the cafe for coffee and cake. The young man serving us was very pleasant and polite but when I looked down I could see he had dirty finger nails. It made me feel sick when he touched the cup. I must be fair he looked clean and had clean hands, but those nails yuk !

I filled in the comment form and handed it in before I left. No doubt I will get the same sort of washy washy reply from the NT as I did last time I made a complaint.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Feb-16 18:41:35

Perfectly true, Jingles! At least, those of us who are still around to argue survived grin

I really can't get het up about the dirty finger nails - I am a keen gardener, and often have filthy nails after a session on the allotment. If my frantic scrubbing with a nail brush doesn't shift all the much afterwards, I really doubt that briefly touching something like a cup with my hands is going to result in the remaining muck contaminating it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 18:31:39

But bakers in the "olden days" (ie when I was little) always took your money and grabbed the unwrapped loaf or the buns with bare hands. They never had tongs or gloves. We survived.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Feb-16 18:24:21

Spangles, I'd be a lot more worried about that than the OP! The way I see it, dirt under finger nails (which presumably has withstood normal washing) isn't suddenly going to jump out and infect someone via a cup, while touching cooked products with dirty gloves, latex or otherwise, is another matter!

Spangles1963 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:04:21

What I can never understand is the way staff in Gregg's handle money and then touch unwrapped products such as loaves of bread. When I (politely) challenged this once,the response was 'oh its OK because I'm wearing latex gloves'. Sorry?! Did i miss something there?

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 22:55:18

rose that farm and cafe that you mention, is a dog called Badger involved?

Yes, I think so, although I haven't met Badger smile
And we like the food (haven't peeked into the kitchen hmm)

shadowfax07 Fri 23-Oct-15 00:21:52

Jingl, they rate works canteens too, which I was surprised about. DP reckons his is dire, but it still has 5 stars.

rose that farm and cafe that you mention, is a dog called Badger involved? If so, I'm not too far away.

LuckyDucky Thu 22-Oct-15 00:11:28

OOh nonnie

What did happen at guide camp? Go on, do tell. Were you camping with Boy Scouts, is that what it was? wink

Deedaa Mon 12-Oct-15 21:22:36

I think any one who has worked in a kitchen will take the ratings with a pinch of salt. When I was working for Sainsbury's the EHO came round and complimented me on the records we kept in the cafe. He assured me that we were doing far more than was required - which would have been true if you could rely on what was written there! Sheer shortage of staff meant that the attitude was "That'll do" and, combined with a chef who had never worked anywhere where he'd had to check temperatures, I'm surprised we never killed anyone.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 19:37:58

They stole the recipe from the Australians! grin
(Or was it the other way round?)

Or was it the unleavened bread of the Bible?

www.woodland-ways.co.uk/blog/flora/theres-more-to-damper-bread-than-youd-think/

I'm not going to make any (not until 5th November anyway)

grannylyn65 Mon 12-Oct-15 19:37:07

shock

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 19:34:31

end of stick. Not nob!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 19:33:48

Scouts make dampers. Just flour made into dough with water. Take little blobs of it and stick on nod of stick. Burn cook over campfire. Delish actually. grin

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 19:27:37

Oh dear I think I must be in a minority of one on this.

hmm not sure, we do need to build up our immune system so it depends how bad a 1* kitchen is I suppose.

I will still take the DGC to the farm and cafe owned by that well-known person that we like and at least they keep telling you to wash your hands!! And they are very friendly, so perhaps the bacteria are friendly too grin

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 19:23:40

Dampers is what you make in the Australian Outback on the campfire grin
Eaten with a cuppa made in a billy

You can at Cardiff Gaol anyway ('The Clink'), I don't know if Usk Prison has a restaurant open to the public.

fluttERBY123 Mon 12-Oct-15 19:18:06

What are dampers?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:29:32

I'm amazed they rate prisons!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:28:20

rq No. It's the seagulls I'm more wary of. But they seemed well behaved. I liked the ducks. smile

TriciaF Mon 12-Oct-15 18:21:14

Oh dear I think I must be in a minority of one on this.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:07:41

I see that HMP Usk has a 5 star rating!
Maybe we'll try there next time.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:05:20

Did the ducks come and pinch your fish and chips?

I gave DGD2 a piece of bread to throw to those blasted ducks, she threw it so enthusiastically she nearly went hurtling down the bank into the river ..... just managed to grab her dress. shock

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 18:03:12

rosequarz DH says it was actually in Monmouth. Not Aber. The Robin Hood. aargh!

Actually, haven't been in that one for years - and I'm not going in again
Although the Indian hasn't got a great rating either!
The 1 star which now has a 4 star is just outside Monmouth too ........

I am eating at home in my own kitchen (just don't look in the oven).

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:00:53

Glad we just ate fish and chips sitting by the river! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:59:59

yes. It was the Robin Hood, Monmouth. Link here

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:53:15

rosequarz DH says it was actually in Monmouth. Not Aber. The Robin Hood.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 17:52:43

Blimey a 1 star means they need to make urgent and major changes to their hygiene standards. Yuk!

I have just checked and they now have a 4 rating - so obviously got disinfecting and scrubbing!