Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU To expect cars to park on the road?

(35 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 08-Oct-15 09:02:37

I know someone who likes to leave notes on cars which are badly parked. The note she leaves on those parked on the pavement outside her house says "Sorry I scratched your car trying to get by" On occasion she has seen the owners come back and watched as they spent several minutes trying to find the non-existent scratch.

Iam64 Thu 08-Oct-15 08:46:55

Yes, it's dreadful to negotiate narrow pavements with buggies, wheelchairs of if you are blind. A friend who is a guide dog puppy carer photographs cars parked on the pavement and leaves notes for the drivers.

The difficulty of course, is that in so many areas, the roads aren't wide enough to allow parking either side. I parked outside a shop locally and came out to find my wing mirror on the road (again). I try and avoid parking half on the pavement because it's wrong to block them. I'm lucky, at home we have a driveway so our cars don't get damaged and we don't block the road. Totally different 50 yards down where it's all terraced houses.

glammanana Thu 08-Oct-15 08:22:52

I always thought it was illegal,we have a Road near to us where parking on the pavement seems to be the norm and you have to walk into the Road to pass,the owners of the houses complain that with the Road being so narrow they have to park that way. confused

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Oct-15 08:17:45

Many years ago I had a blind colleague who used to charge about town using a long cane for his mobility.
He was always encountering cars on pavements Apart from the language used he used to give them a whack with his cane and threaten to climb over any car in his way. I don't know if he did. It would not surprise me, he got up to all sorts.
Some colleagues once took him for a drive on an empty road somewhere with them being his eyes and helping him steer.

Leticia Thu 08-Oct-15 07:58:09

I wish it was illegal- it is very selfish and thoughtless.

tiggypiro Thu 08-Oct-15 07:57:39

It happens here too when people are visiting the pub. Just a thought ........ if we rattled the car/tried to open the doors etc would the car alarm go off ? I have so wanted to push past with the pushchair and leave a big scratch down the side but so far have not had the courage but setting the car alarm off ...............................!!

whitewave Thu 08-Oct-15 07:49:12

Read somewhere that is illegal in some counties and not others.
There used to be an old lady around here ( dead now ) that used to bend the cars windscreen wipers if they were parked on the pavement!

lighteninggirl Thu 08-Oct-15 07:33:05

Happens round here too I had to stand and wait while a neighbour reversed along the pavement yesterday then walk onto the road and round his car

Lona Wed 07-Oct-15 23:07:00

Cherry you must live near me! More cars on the pavements than on the road!

Cherrytree59 Wed 07-Oct-15 23:05:35

Twice this week with a double push chair I have had to plough through someone's front garden. Once because van was parked half on the footpath and the next time when a car was also left this way.both times there was not enough room left for even a single buggy to pass by. Why should I put my grandchildren at risk and walk on the road because vehicles are parked illegally!
Tonight as I was driving home along a main road there were two cars parked in front of each other completely on the footpath, the road had double yellow lines, so presumably the drivers thought that if they parked on the footpath they didn't apply . There was no thought to pedestrians having to step on to the road to get past the vehicles.
It seems to be a case of IM ALL RIGHT JACK, SO S... EVERYONE ELSE!