Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijab

(178 Posts)
NanKate Thu 08-Oct-15 15:59:54

I too watched the exciting Final of The Great British Bake Off and was so pleased Nadiya won. She was such a beautiful young woman and so talented in the kitchen.

I was just saddened that due to her religion she hid her hair under a hijab.

This is not meant to be a racist comment just a statement of fact.

Anya Thu 08-Oct-15 19:23:43

Cynical!

durhamjen Thu 08-Oct-15 19:25:59

Never thought of bakeoff as being political.
Does Mary have a political bone in her body?

NotTooOld Thu 08-Oct-15 19:40:04

To be honest, I've never watched the prog - I'm just an old cynic!

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 19:43:43

WilmaK- spot on! And I know the OP never ever meant for this thread to be political, or condescending, or anything like that- but I find it sad, not the head covering, but the fact that some people think that way.

Sorry NanKate as I am sure you meant not harm at all, none.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 19:45:44

I think the hurdles before and during the show would make it a very long shot to predetermine the winner. In any case, it's not like Nadiya had a smooth journey through the show. Like all of the contestants she had her disasters.

Every time I have watched the series there has been contestants from ethnic minority groups, but before Nadiya and Tamal they have struggled with knowing what the end result should look like. It was only a matter of time before someone like Nadiya took part and as luck would have it we got Tamal and to a lesser extent Alvin too.

Given the show is called the Great British Bake Off the challenges have been quite unusual and from other countries, so maybe it's time to look at baking from other cultures within the UK.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 19:48:36

I've never seen anything objectionable about the hijab, it's the full-face covering with only the eyes showing that I admit I find rather unnerving.

TNH after the first couple of episodes of the GBBO I didn't even notice what Nadiya was wearing, her facial expressions and quick actions were so fascinating.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 19:49:00

TBH

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Oct-15 20:02:53

I have nothing against the wearing of headscarfs. It's not being able to see anyones face that is so unnerving.

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 20:08:33

Anyone remember the tv series Hamish Macbeth, starring Robert Carlyle (before he got famous!)? He used to smoke weed, although he was a policeman

shock I can't remember him smoking weed in the books!

Why does tv always have to change things

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 20:13:18

Did N pick her perfect time to win or did someone else pick her as the perfect person to win - and I'm not talking about her cake

I don't think either of the above is right.

She won because she came through despite some disasters (which they all had!) learned from her mistakes and progressed and got better and better - and was the best in the final!

NanKate Thu 08-Oct-15 20:42:39

Thanks Granjura for realising I wasn't being condescending and I did put in my second post that this was my opinion alone.

If I can explain the sad bit I imagine she has luxurious hair underneath (I could be wrong) because I could see a sort of bun at the back, and I thought she would be even more stunning with the hijab off.

With hindsight it would have been sensible for me to list the other religions that cover their heads.

I am a bit naive at times and think I should have kept my mouth shut.

Anyway she was a worthy winner and I do not want to detract from that.

'Nuff said' smile

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 21:01:25

NanKate, thanks for beign honest too. I bet she has amazing hair, but it is her choice and if she feels better covered up and showing her hair only to her husband and close family, then that's fine. Night night.

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 21:09:52

Rose, I truly do not think for one moment that this is what Wilma meant by

'Quite frankly given the current climate of negativity towards immigrants, I don't think Nadiya could have picked a more perfect time to win. Having watched her every week on the show, maybe some people will have a hard think about their perceptions.'

that she won because she was Muslim somehow as a 'fix' for political reasons. Not at all. she won because she was clearly the best and yet, psychologically and for all sorts of reasons, the timing couldn't it be better- to make some people think about their 'assumptions' (prejudices perhaps, even).

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 21:17:24

I feel totally sickened as I've just picked up the news that some in the gutter press, and some of the groups involved in the recent documentaries we've discussed on another thread, are doing just that - saying Nadiya's win was a fix for politically correct reasons. Those people make me truly SICK.

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 21:26:55

just been reading some of the twitter messages about this- and perhaps for those who still doubt that 'some' are truly racists, it may become clearer. Tragically and sadly. As said, sick.

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 21:44:45

Shame oh shame to the Daily Mail and the Sun.

But reading more and more messages- this outrage might actually do some good- as 1000s come out in furry over those 'alllegations' - and sticking out for Nadiya and her undoubted talent. Perhaps showing conclusively that 'some' in the Britain are very racists, but most are not. Hurrah and bravo.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 21:59:05

Perhaps it might have been better not to bring such reports to our attention on this thread, but whatever - some people seem to actually want to portray the UK as a nation of racists...

gillybob Thu 08-Oct-15 23:15:59

That's cutting not too old and I'm not talking about the cake which incidentally looked heavenly.

I would wear a headscarf if I looked as lovely as she did. Those gorgeous eyes envy

durhamjen Thu 08-Oct-15 23:24:22

Which thread should Granjura have put it on, Ana? It is pertinent to this thread. We would not have known about Nadiya if she was not on Bakeoff.

Alea Thu 08-Oct-15 23:26:07

I am happy to say it would take a lot for me to read either rag! I'd rather read the sauce bottle/side of the cereal packet/side of a plastic bag.

Of course there will be tr***s on Twitter and in the gutter press, but why not treat them with the contempt they deserve?

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 23:26:10

granjura I wasn't commenting on Wilma's post - what I copied and commented on was nothing like what you said I commented on (iyswim!)

Rose, I truly do not think for one moment that this is what Wilma meant by and then you pasted something I did not include in my post confused and I expect you are too after reading my sentence above.

I commented on NotToOld's post which I just pasted and copied word for word.

Just to put the record straight.

Alea Thu 08-Oct-15 23:27:53

Why repeat their despicable rants at all, DJ? That thing about "the oxygen of publicity", remember?

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 23:29:06

I'd rather read the sauce bottle
I used to know it word for word when I was a child
'Cette sauce de haute qualite (with an accent) est un melange des espice orientaux' etc etc etc

Alea Thu 08-Oct-15 23:31:24

That's 'ow we was learnt our francais(also with a cedilla, of course) weren't it!

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 23:34:43

I thought I was very clever at the time reading it in francais and translating it to my mother. grin