Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijab

(178 Posts)
NanKate Thu 08-Oct-15 15:59:54

I too watched the exciting Final of The Great British Bake Off and was so pleased Nadiya won. She was such a beautiful young woman and so talented in the kitchen.

I was just saddened that due to her religion she hid her hair under a hijab.

This is not meant to be a racist comment just a statement of fact.

whitewave Sun 11-Oct-15 22:29:03

Yes I have thought exactly that. Tragedy is they are now deadly enemies.

TerriBull Mon 12-Oct-15 17:13:37

There was a lovely picture of a smiling Nadiya in the Sunday Times yesterday, and it did strike me that her hijab had masses of material around the neck area, which as a post menopausal woman still suffering from hot flushes, made me feel I'd hate having that lot round me in a hot area. She of course is a young woman so free from over heating, hopefully for a number of years.

I read an article by Yasmin Alibah Brown a little while after the final of the GBBO and although she has been quite vocal in her disapproval of hijabs, as a Muslim woman was thrilled for Nadiya's success. I think Nadiya won everyone over with her personality, her skill as a baker and demonstrated very well how being a Muslim didn't preclude her from taking part in, I suppose what could be deemed as a quintessential British competition. This article did point out that she had abuse from hard line Muslims on social media, some who thought she had brought shame on herself and even needed a good slap. Really regrettable very retrograde attitudes undermine those who don't want to live a life of complete separateness.