Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you wear knickers in bed?

(154 Posts)
Minna Wed 28-Oct-15 16:03:42

Last night I ended up having a rather heated debate with a friend about whether you should wear knickers in bed. She said absolutely not - you should let your 'bits' air. I said yes - because then you don't have to change your pyjamas every singles day and also because it just feels better. Who is right? (Me obviously but interested to know what others think)

Indinana Sat 31-Oct-15 21:19:00

I think I must have been lucky as I had a mother who was totally uninhibited in the underwear department. She eschewed girdles, rolls on and the like - she didn't even wear a bra until I begged her to (out of sheer 13 year old embarrassment that my friends might notice blush). So I was never forced into anything to 'support my abdominal muscles' and she probably would have let me go without a bra if I'd wanted to (I didn't! I was far more conventional than her grin).
I do remember wearing the dreaded liberty bodices, however, but I didn't wear them beyond the age of about 6 or 7.

rascal Sat 31-Oct-15 17:58:36

Oh yes Charleygirl Jenners I know it well! wink

Marmight Sat 31-Oct-15 17:44:50

I don't wear anything in bed - too restricting, particularly knickers - ugh! Very occasionally if it's freezing, I wear a Tshirt until the lights go off and then remove it. My Mum made me wear a vest under my wedding dress blush. It was snowing and she thought I would be cold. How she thought a sheer vest with thin straps would do the job, I don't know. However, I complied and it was my 'borrowed' item. (Once at the reception, I whipped it off and haven't seen it since!)

Luckygirl Sat 31-Oct-15 16:40:24

I'm waiting for one of the Gransnet grandfathers to join this thread grin

Charleygirl Sat 31-Oct-15 14:29:54

Everything had to be loose and long so I ended up wearing the same clothes from the age of 11 until I left at 17. You can imagine what I looked like at both ages. My parents could not afford to buy me new clothes so they were a tad tight fitting when I left. Second hand clothes were out of the question- the new clothes could only be bought in one very expensive shop in Edinburgh.

rosequartz Fri 30-Oct-15 23:28:33

Charleygirl the school I went to change the policy and allowed us to wear 60 denier stockings after I'd been there a year
So becoming!

Envious Fri 30-Oct-15 22:56:23

I'm an American and I don't think it's a cultural thing. I think it's more about modesty and practicality. Pajamas can be washed less often.

Deedaa Fri 30-Oct-15 22:33:14

That's interesting Purpledaffodil my two oldest grandsons always wear pants under their pyjamas. I've never actually queried it but their father is American so perhaps it is just something they do.

Charleygirl Fri 30-Oct-15 22:28:29

Rosequartz I could not remember the name of the lisle stockings. Mine were grey to go with the grey blouse and dusky blue tunic. Those stockings were horrendous, especially if like me you do not have perfect legs. Mine used to wrinkle around my ankles- so becoming. Luckily I was at a convent so I was never seen outside.

Purpledaffodil Fri 30-Oct-15 21:32:48

I never realised anyone wore knickers in bed until I was talking to a friend who used to have American children staying with her. Apparently they always wore underwear under pj s and nighties. Can any American grans confirm if this is a cultural thing or were they just doing it to be polite visitors?

LullyDully Fri 30-Oct-15 21:03:58

How underwear has changed. Liberty bodices, suspender belts and those red long johns in the 60s.

Have had to correct a few Kindle predictive text specials.

rascal Fri 30-Oct-15 20:02:41

Oh ha ha annsixty I blame predictive text! Oh yes a surrender belt sounds useful though! A good excuse to blame the belt! He he! grin

annsixty Fri 30-Oct-15 18:59:38

Ooh rascal a surrender belt, how risky!! Are you sure?

rascal Fri 30-Oct-15 18:54:42

Panties over surrender belt so you can take your panties down when nature calls. blush

loopylou Fri 30-Oct-15 18:47:03

thlblush thlblush thlblush to this day because I don't know whether knickers were worn under a suspender belt or over the top.......
My education was clearly very lacking!

rascal Fri 30-Oct-15 18:40:37

No, only wear cozy wozy pyjamas in bed. At school many years ago in Primary 1 during the Wintertime I wore a liberty bodice. It had rubber buttons with metal clips dangling from tape and I had black thick stockings that were held up by these suspenders. Well when I went to the toilet I always managed to wet the top of my left stocking! It seemed to go in the wrong direction! I was mortified and still remember that very clearly! Outside freezing toilets of course. Oh these were the days and I hated every minute!

loopylou Fri 30-Oct-15 18:28:30

You weren't the only one kittyl thlblush
No wonder the bl...y things were so despised by me, then and now!

rosesarered Fri 30-Oct-15 18:24:28

I liked the liberty bodices, cosy,but only wore one up to the age 11, after that, just a little vest, worn with a roll on and lisle stockings to go to grammar school.I was a thin little girl, but all girls wore them, thin or otherwise.I think my leather satchell weighed more than I did.

kittylester Fri 30-Oct-15 18:07:34

I can't stop laughing at the wooden blazer! grin

When I first had a suspender belt, I didn't know that it did up at the back so spent ages sitting on the thingies that hold up the stockings. blush

loopylou Fri 30-Oct-15 17:26:19

Oh good grief, roll ons! All mine did was to roll itself down (and up if I wasn't wearing stockings, which was frequently the case as I hated them) so I ended up with a highly constricting ring around my waist or bum.....

Why on earth did our mothers think it would 'support our abdominal muscles'?Secretly I think they saw them as some form of chastity belt thlgrin, not that I, as a convent schoolgirl, would know anything about them!

Lona Fri 30-Oct-15 17:17:14

Ana thlgrinthlgrin

rosequartz Fri 30-Oct-15 17:15:38

Lisle stockings were, though, Charleygirl - awful!!

A group of Norah Batty schoolgirls (is there a collective name for that?)

Charleygirl Fri 30-Oct-15 17:14:18

shysal I was forced to wear a liberty bodice at junior school and a roll on with suspenders attached at my next school. Tights were not around then.

Ana Fri 30-Oct-15 16:44:57

I bet that wooden blazer kept the draughts out though, Jess! thlgrin

JessM Fri 30-Oct-15 16:27:24

My friend had to wear his sister's cast offs, including liberty bodices. blush
When i went to grammar school aged 11 my mother was worried about the draughty sheds which housed this elite institution. I was therefore made to wear STRING VESTS - the ones with big holes - beneath my shirt, triple thickness gym slip and wooden blazer.
We have argued about which of us suffered the worst underwear embarrassment.