Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trees in the wrong place!

(32 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 07-Nov-15 21:32:44

After a dismal morning the sun broke out , so DH and I decided to go for a walk. I have a bit of a dodgy ankle and it wasn't long before I went over on it due to tree roots lifting the tarmac and causing the foot path to be very uneven. Luckily DH caught my arm before I went down on my a**.
Why do people plant trees in the wrong place?
Whenever we have moved house I have had to cut down trees in the wrong place (ones in the right place are safe!). Our last drive was pushed up by the dreaded tree roots. When we moved to this house we had to chop down two eucalyptus trees , our new neighbors thanked us as they now had light in their dining room.
When our local supermarket opened they thought it a good idea to plant saplings in front of every other parking space, making it harder to park and now dropping wet leaves all over the cars and making the ground slippery in the rain.
I have nothing against trees as you can tell by my GN name. I love my cherry trees. I also have a lovely Rowan tree , an apple tree and a Magnolia all planted away from hard ground and windows. I also live by a beautiful forest
But can't understand why people don't consider that most trees grow big and have roots that can cause damage and inconvenience to others!

apricot Mon 09-Nov-15 18:50:37

Many people demand the removal of trees because they shade their houses and the autumn leaves are a nuisance. I love trees and think we should put up with the inconvenience in return for their beauty and environmental value but more will be doomed because councils have stopped sweeping the streets.
Pavements here are half-covered with weeds, leaves and litter and the drain gratings are blocked. Where a tree leans over the road the pavements are impassable with sodden leaves.
Will we ever get back any of the council services we have lost?

vampirequeen Mon 09-Nov-15 19:16:22

I live in a conservation area and I'm pleased to say that the tree hating newbies who have recently moved in haven't been able to cut down their trees.

I accept that if the roots undermine a property then they have to be cut down but otherwise leave them alone.

There was a programme on the Beeb a while ago that followed an oak over the course of a year. They estimated that a million creatures lived in or on the tree.

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:29:04

Just read your link Durhamjen. Perhaps on this occasion the Hs2 is in the wrong place smile

BlackeyedSusan Sat 21-Nov-15 11:28:42

hs2 is just wrong. my friends house is in the wrong plcae too and will be demolished.

Galen Sat 21-Nov-15 11:50:17

In my garden
3 pear trees
3 apple trees
1 mulberry
2 plum
1 beech
1 rowan
1 oak grown from an acorn by darling daughter, meant to be a bonsai but left out accidentally in the garden one year and now about 14 feet high.
Also a hedge of native trees.
I also have a fig, a eucalyptus and an apple on my front patio to say nothing of numerous limes, lemons etc

I thing I'm doing enough for trees.

Galen Sat 21-Nov-15 11:51:36

Oh I forgot my acer which was magnificent this Autumn