Gransnet forums

AIBU

xmas decorations

(31 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:57:43

I saw a window today with a Christmas tree and pretty lights, it looked good but much too early, I looked over the road and saw another window with decorations.
Whats wrong with these people, can they not wait, are their lives so empty that they long for the next bit of excitement. Its cruel on the children as its too long to wait till Christmas.
Does anyone like me end up scratching around in the cupboard the last week looking for escaped baubles and tinsel and wishing the dratted thing was over and done with or am I being unreasonable.

Teetime Thu 12-Nov-15 14:35:54

Many people here seem to use 1st Dec as their starting point but as a town centre we are probably later than many other towns. Town Centre lights are not lit until the first Friday in December (4th this year) with fireworks and a Victorian Christmas market (100 stalls) which lasts three days this year (visitors to Melton Mowbray please take note). There is also the largest decorated and lit Christmas Tree Festival in a church in St Marys (the church where Sir Malcom Sargant was organist). It is a really good weekend for Christmas shopping and getting in the mood generally.

At home about 2 weeks before Christmas is fine for me but they all taken down on 1st January and the house cleaned from top to bottom to welcome in the New Year.

Indinana Thu 12-Nov-15 15:15:23

We still put up a large tree - I just can't seem to imagine Christmas without a tree dominating the living room. Not a real one, though, can't face all those needles. I absolutely smother it in decorations - no, not all stylishly toning but a wonderful eclectic mixture of colours and styles.
It never, ever goes up until the second half of December, often not until the last few days before the big day itself. Everything, the tree, the cards, and the little Christmas ornaments I put around the hearth and on the mantelpiece, is down and back in the loft by the 29th at the absolute latest as I'm sick of the sight of it by then grin

numberplease Thu 12-Nov-15 16:32:19

Our town`s lights go on in time for the first of 2 late night shopping nights, usually the first 2 Thursdays in December. We don`t put the tree up till mid December, likewise the few Christmassy doo-dahs, but I hate when they come down on January 6th , because the room looks so dull and drab for a couple of days, till I get used to it again.

etheltbags1 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:10:08

I talked to a neighbour today, who has his decorations up and a wreath on the door that plays music when you ring the bell. To the tune of jingle bells, I said 'ooh you are early with your decorations' and he replied' yes its because my wife died yesterday'. He must have seen my horrified face and amended by saying ' I mean she died 3 years ago yesterday so I put up my decorations'.

Does this mean the wife was a Christmas fanatic and would be happy he has the decorations up or did it mean that he was so glad to be rid of her that he celebrates every year ???
It takes all sorts.

neptune Thu 12-Nov-15 20:14:10

Oh my - that's an awkward one etheltbags1. How mysterious... A few houses near me have switched their Christmas lights on already. Although I do love the build up to the big day, Dec is plenty time enough I think.