Gransnet forums

AIBU

Call me an old misery

(43 Posts)
NanKate Sun 15-Nov-15 14:30:53

What 3 things would you rather not be given this Christmas.

Jar of luxury pickle - still have last year's unopened.
Framed picture or photograph - not an inch of space on wall or table.
Scented candle to light - DH thinks they are a fire hazard,

shysal Wed 18-Nov-15 08:54:24

I shall give that a go mcem.

mcem Wed 18-Nov-15 08:33:09

Having just checked Mary's Meals Christmas Table online, I was reminded that this year all donations made for the next month or so will be doubled by UK government so you'd be feeding not 1 but 2 children for a year.

mcem Wed 18-Nov-15 08:25:42

This is something I did last year and will do again in this Christmas.
Mary's Meals is a charity I support and I like their idea that, by donating the cost of a Christmas dinner (approx £15 I think) you are setting a place at a virtual table. By going online the recipient will see their name on a plate, decorated with their name, and set on a table.
That donation will feed a child at school for a year.
It was a good visual way last year to explain to my little DGCs about giving.

downtoearth Wed 18-Nov-15 08:08:44

seasider did she say she wanted some peas(e) and quiet grin

seasider Wed 18-Nov-15 07:45:33

My friend once got a tin of processed peas from her son who was about 8 at the time grin

suelowe Tue 17-Nov-15 23:57:27

Don't suggest someone gives a donation to charity ...it's too impersonal . Ask them to provide an Oxfam gift / adopt a donkey / pay for a rescue hen's keep, etc. That way they get a warm , fuzzy feeling , and you get a certificate / news letter / photo , etc.....to keep . Satisfaction all round .

Elrel Tue 17-Nov-15 00:50:36

Lovely posts, downtoearth and Grandma2213, what Christmas is really about!

Grandma2213 Tue 17-Nov-15 00:29:24

My DSs have bought some brilliant presents now they are adults, such as helicopter flight and various shows and theatre trips. Unfortunately due to numerous health problems, operation and accident, last year's hot air balloon ride and special meal out have had to be delayed so I'm still looking forward to them.

One of my best presents ever I still have, a slip of paper with the words 'piece and quite' written by my middle DS when he was about 7 years old. Yes - exactly what I asked for 'peace and quiet'!

downtoearth Mon 16-Nov-15 13:09:55

Dear Santa

I dont want anything at all...

I am quite happy with my library books
I dont have expensive taste in food
I dont eat chocolate,or use expensive lotions ,my GP prescribes them all for my skin
I am happy with the radio

what I would really like if at all possible is a magic wand....

I would cure my brothers health problems
I would cure my OH,DS,and DG of their depression
I would flit around like a magic fairy spreading happiness where there is none,curing lonliness where there is plenty.....that would also be my gift to them ....priceless

thank you santa....love from downtoearth...
(sherry and mince pie in normal place)

Charleygirl Mon 16-Nov-15 09:57:41

Many years ago when I was still married, my MiL used to give me something practical for the house. Before I was married I was living on my own so had everything I wanted- ditto with OH so we had at least two of everything. When my parents died I inherited everything but she still insisted in filling up my kitchen with sometimes a 4th item that I already had. Such a waste of money but as she obviously applied little thought to the gift, she obviously did not care.

ninathenana Mon 16-Nov-15 09:04:23

I expect new slippers for Christmas day the family sort out between them whose buying them each year.smile
I also like, book tokens, jigsaws, certain food stuff, a good bottle of wine, vouchers for hotels, jewellery.
I don't want smellies, chutneys, anything household, hankies, ornaments.

soontobe Mon 16-Nov-15 08:20:49

We did this one year amongst ourselves.

Stationary
The wrong books
Nightwear

mumofmadboys Mon 16-Nov-15 08:12:41

I have far to many smellies for the bath and most of the time I just use plain old water. What I would like though is perfume and a table tennis bat!

Bug180 Sun 15-Nov-15 21:35:26

Happy with most things, but I have a growing collection of body lotion I don't use as my skin is oily enough!

Hubby knows I like......Christmas jigsaw, cherry liqueurs, nice calendar, cd (I've requested), ( he likes to surprise me with a couple of other things, which to be fair he does well ??). I quite like treats like afternoon tea vouchers too. .....easily pleased

MamaCaz Sun 15-Nov-15 21:06:19

I don't want smellies, scented candles, creams or lotions. Give me something practical every time.

The best present I ever got was a load of old sh1t - sorry, I mean well-rotted manure (for my allotment). My late sister-in-law's face was a picture when I told her grin

Ana Sun 15-Nov-15 20:49:18

My ex-MIL always used to give me a huge pack of American Tan tights. When I eventually tactfully suggested that thicker ones were now more fashionable (this was around the 80s) she got me some lisle ones...confused

rosesarered Sun 15-Nov-15 20:45:45

Petra exactly, mine would be the same, they would never get around to it!
grin

Marmight Sun 15-Nov-15 19:00:26

Anything 'smelly' (except Coco Chanel!)
Handkerchiefs
Ornaments
Chutneys

I would really like Santa to bring me an electric bike....... not holding my breath

daffydil Sun 15-Nov-15 17:59:49

An elderly aunt used to spend Boxing Day with us and once bought my two daughters and me large pairs of panties in a shade of electric blue and for DH and DS deodorant socks. At least they gave us a good laugh when she had gone.

petra Sun 15-Nov-15 17:44:11

If I told my DD to contribute to a charity of my choice I know exactly what would happen: nothing!

Indinana Sun 15-Nov-15 16:59:50

anno, I see you have done the same. I hadn't read all of your post when I submitted mine.

Indinana Sun 15-Nov-15 16:56:43

Last year I actually requested socks!! But only because I had a drawer full of dull, boring black ones and wanted some colourful ones instead. TBH I struggle every year to think of things I do want and dread the requests from DC and DH for ideas on a wish list.
I love to receive perfume, scarves or gift vouchers, but in fact this year I have asked everyone not to buy me anything but instead make a donation to a charity of my choice. I shall, of course, still buy presents for all of them because I'm not about to impose my views on them. So far one of my family members has replied saying they would like to do the same, which is lovely, and I'm very grateful to them for also choosing the charity I had chosen.
I feel strangely liberated from the angst of having to think of things I want smile

Deedaa Sun 15-Nov-15 16:56:41

Taking my lead from Absolutely Fabulous I always tell DD "Just gorgeous things Darling!" grin

The thing I really hate is being given something expensive that I don't like. It seems awful that someone has spent a lot of money on something I will hardly use (DH used to be the main culprit till he started getting the children to buy for him) My late FiL had unerring taste in awful presents, gold painted plaster figures of vikings that we were supposed to hang on the wall were a particularly low point.

mollie Sun 15-Nov-15 16:34:43

I'd be happy without any presents, tbh. OH and I swap lists (fine!) but I hint/suggest everyone else didn't buy for us but one or two take no notice and some awful things come our way. I guess its the thought that counts.

Teetime Sun 15-Nov-15 16:27:28

I hope Santa doesn't bring

- any jokey Christmas present - my usual GOS deserts me at present time on Xmas Day.

- slippers

- confectionary

- chutney, jams etc - hate it all

please may have nice smellies, smelly candle, velvet scarf

Thank you