Gransnet forums

AIBU

Call me an old misery

(42 Posts)
NanKate Sun 15-Nov-15 14:30:53

What 3 things would you rather not be given this Christmas.

Jar of luxury pickle - still have last year's unopened.
Framed picture or photograph - not an inch of space on wall or table.
Scented candle to light - DH thinks they are a fire hazard,

Coolgran65 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:38:32

Bath stuff
Chocolate
Ornament

Grannyknot Sun 15-Nov-15 14:40:01

You're an old misery.

grin

Luckygirl Sun 15-Nov-15 14:40:12

My DD asked me what I would like and I found a book on amazon for 13p - she says she might stretch to that!!

No smellies, no chocolate, no Xmas novelties, no tat.

Charleygirl Sun 15-Nov-15 14:45:42

Every year I am given a selection of chutneys, each of which I hate.

I do not like
food (as gifts)
boxes of chocolates
bath stuff (I do not have a bath)
ornament
placemats

merlotgran Sun 15-Nov-15 14:51:11

Same as Charleygirl - No bath stuff as we only have a shower.
No coaster sets.
No ornaments.

Nothing wrong with upmarket food pressies grin

grannylyn65 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:51:31

Body lotion, usually get enough to fill a bath!!

Antjexix Sun 15-Nov-15 14:57:55

Dvd's
Underwear
Ornaments

Antjexix Sun 15-Nov-15 15:00:10

Not sure i'm keen on foodgifts neither.

Liz46 Sun 15-Nov-15 15:08:35

I agree with most of the above. Last year one of my daughters bought me a visit to a bird of prey centre. She came with me and we handled the most beautiful owls and went on a hawk walk. There was also a little bundle of fluff, a baby barn owl, that we were allowed to gently hold. That was a good present. I don't want 'things'. If I want anything, I will go and choose it myself.
Several years ago we stopped buying my aunt presents and take her out for a meal instead. She enjoys the outing and the company but doesn't receive any clutter.

tanith Sun 15-Nov-15 15:26:28

I'd prefer to have an 'experience' although I've told everyone not to buy us presents we have all that we need and I hate them to waste money on things I neither want or need.

Charleygirl Sun 15-Nov-15 15:28:21

I could not agree more tanith.

annodomini Sun 15-Nov-15 15:37:52

I'm with you Liz46 I have asked my family not to give me anything that will clutter up my house more than it already is. They have, in the past, given me experiences for birthday and Christmas - flying lesson, trip to Rome, balloon flight, massage and facial... They have been wonderfully thoughtful, but this year I have asked them to donate to Save the Children's Wishlist on my behalf. I have everything I could need or want and quite a lot more - especially scarves! For my birthday, a family in Africa received a pair of goats; and a year's health care has been provided for a child. Lovely DS1 also presented me with a small box of truffles which I was happy to share; and equally lovely DS2 brought a handsome bouquet. I have also asked them to choose from the SCF wishlist for Christmas.

Anya Sun 15-Nov-15 15:44:05

I've simply sent the 'children' an email saying I'd like some green Amber and where to find it on sale locally, and if it's too much to club together.

Job done!

Anya Sun 15-Nov-15 15:48:05

Anno I also like these charity gifts. When I was working, instead of a silly secret Santa gift, we'd club together and one person was designated to choose a gift to send. We sent goats, chickens, trained a teacher, and so on over the years smile

rosesarered Sun 15-Nov-15 16:03:11

Hmmmn, difficult as I like most things, but

Bath things,
A random ornament or vase ,
Socks.

vampirequeen Sun 15-Nov-15 16:07:02

We did that instead of sending Christmas cards at work.

I hope Santa doesn't bring:
Bubble bath (we only have a shower).
Anything with nuts in.
Socks.
Big knickers (from my mam usually)
Hankies.
DVDs
Make up/make up remover/face creams/body lotions

I've suggested to Santa's Little Helpers (DDs and DH) that I'd like another Pandora bead. If it's glass I'd like it to be pink or purple. If it's silver I'd like it to have something to do with love.

I'm hoping that Santa also brings some chocolates, a smelly candle and maybe a gift voucher or two.

Teetime Sun 15-Nov-15 16:27:28

I hope Santa doesn't bring

- any jokey Christmas present - my usual GOS deserts me at present time on Xmas Day.

- slippers

- confectionary

- chutney, jams etc - hate it all

please may have nice smellies, smelly candle, velvet scarf

Thank you

mollie Sun 15-Nov-15 16:34:43

I'd be happy without any presents, tbh. OH and I swap lists (fine!) but I hint/suggest everyone else didn't buy for us but one or two take no notice and some awful things come our way. I guess its the thought that counts.

Deedaa Sun 15-Nov-15 16:56:41

Taking my lead from Absolutely Fabulous I always tell DD "Just gorgeous things Darling!" grin

The thing I really hate is being given something expensive that I don't like. It seems awful that someone has spent a lot of money on something I will hardly use (DH used to be the main culprit till he started getting the children to buy for him) My late FiL had unerring taste in awful presents, gold painted plaster figures of vikings that we were supposed to hang on the wall were a particularly low point.

Indinana Sun 15-Nov-15 16:56:43

Last year I actually requested socks!! But only because I had a drawer full of dull, boring black ones and wanted some colourful ones instead. TBH I struggle every year to think of things I do want and dread the requests from DC and DH for ideas on a wish list.
I love to receive perfume, scarves or gift vouchers, but in fact this year I have asked everyone not to buy me anything but instead make a donation to a charity of my choice. I shall, of course, still buy presents for all of them because I'm not about to impose my views on them. So far one of my family members has replied saying they would like to do the same, which is lovely, and I'm very grateful to them for also choosing the charity I had chosen.
I feel strangely liberated from the angst of having to think of things I want smile

Indinana Sun 15-Nov-15 16:59:50

anno, I see you have done the same. I hadn't read all of your post when I submitted mine.

petra Sun 15-Nov-15 17:44:11

If I told my DD to contribute to a charity of my choice I know exactly what would happen: nothing!

daffydil Sun 15-Nov-15 17:59:49

An elderly aunt used to spend Boxing Day with us and once bought my two daughters and me large pairs of panties in a shade of electric blue and for DH and DS deodorant socks. At least they gave us a good laugh when she had gone.

Marmight Sun 15-Nov-15 19:00:26

Anything 'smelly' (except Coco Chanel!)
Handkerchiefs
Ornaments
Chutneys

I would really like Santa to bring me an electric bike....... not holding my breath