Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm afraid I swore in public (bad Marelli....)!

(98 Posts)
Marelli Mon 30-Nov-15 17:03:35

So, because I'm all 'het-up', I'm coming to Gransnet to confess shock.
Our street is very narrow, and can be difficult to negotiate in a car, especially when turning in from the busy Main Street. People, therefore, park on the one side so that cars can move up and down more easily. However, when I turned into the street this afternoon, someone had parked on the opposite side as well, leaving a very narrow gap to squeeze through. As the chap was just leaving his car to go into a shop, I wound down my window and asked him if he could move the car a bit so I could get through safely. He replied, "Have you got a licence?" I responded that I most certainly did, but did he - as he had parked so inconsiderately? I kept trying to get through, then gave up as I was worried I would damage 3 cars - mine, his and the car parked on the 'normal side'. I reversed and asked him (he was progressing in a leisurely fashion to the Spar shop on the corner), if he could move his car. He again said I shouldn't have a licence if I couldn't get through that space. At this, his missus got out of the car and repeated what he'd said. Well, that did it! I'm afraid I swore (a bad word)! I think it went something like this: "All you had to do was f...ing move it a wee bit!"
They both sneered - especially his wife, who said "A woman - swearing..." By now there was a queue of cars behind me, all building up onto the main road, the one directly behind me being a large 4x4. I squeezed through, bit by bit, and parked in my usual place outside my house. Looking back down the road, I saw said 4x4 driver also having a wee discussion with this person.
I was so angry at myself for swearing. blush, so I went back to the man who had, by this time got back into his car. I asked him to roll his window down, which he did, reluctantly. I apologised for swearing, saying that I'd been rude. They were both horrified that, as a woman, I'd sworn.... hmm By this time, having done my best to make whatever amends needed, I told them that they really did need to get a life, and came back into the house.
There, I feel better now. I'm still shaking, but I think that could be something to do with the sugar-rush of the chocolate cookie I had earlier this afternoon.... wink
Sorry about the long post, but I needed to tell it all!

baubles Mon 30-Nov-15 20:42:14

Marelliiiiiii! the only thing you did wrong was apologise! but knowing you as I do I'm not in the least surprised by that. Hope you're feeling better now. Have some brew & cupcake tbsmile

trisher Mon 30-Nov-15 21:04:20

Marelli you shouldn't have apologised. You should when they commented on your swearing have replied with as much bad language as you can manage-such as "Yes I am f-----g swearing, yes I'm a f-----g woman, and an older f----ing woman at that. But when you encounter such an inconsiderate f---ing c--t what the hell else can you do?"
You were too nice!

Marelli Mon 30-Nov-15 21:16:53

Very impressed by that one, trisher!! tbgrintbgrin
Thank you baubles flowers
I'm going to get up early tomorrow to practice being even MORE assertive!

Deedaa Mon 30-Nov-15 21:58:34

I would have thought that being sworn at by women as well as men would have been an everyday experience for him grin

Alea Mon 30-Nov-15 22:12:22

Well done you for standing up for yourself! I am afraid that when I stopped in the supermarket carpark one way system because somebody was coming straight at me the wrong way, I sat shaking while being abused as a "f...old c..." As an ex teacher I had heard the words often enough before, but what really hurt was the old!!!

vampirequeen Mon 30-Nov-15 22:16:51

Never apologise for swearing at dickheads. It's the only language they understand.

My driving instructor taught me how to swear. He said it was an excellent way of distressing when some idiot in another vehicle tries to kill you.

So I learnt some basic words but never used the f word until the day I first lost my temper (I was over 40). Suddenly I was effing and blinding in front of a work colleague. I began to apologise profusely but she just laughed and said the f word was the best stress reliever she knew because of the ck sound. She said you can put so much venom into the ck sound.

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 22:21:14

Alea that is certainly no way to describe you using the "old" word. It is not four letters but it jolly well should be in that category.

Marmight Mon 30-Nov-15 23:20:20

Well done Marelli. I would have done the same only without the apologising bit! I know your road : if an ambulance or fire engine had needed access, his car would have been crushed and serve him right, selfish prat. I wonder if you will see him again - stand your ground!

Marelli Tue 01-Dec-15 00:01:26

Oh, I will, Marmight - I'm looking forward to it.....!! tbangry

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 07:02:19

Totally ignorant ass.....! What is it about these privileged idiots?
He was very rude to you, he should have been the one apologising not you.

Our road is like yours, one day two cars parked on the opposite side to everyone else and a big white van drove straight through neatly whipping off their wing mirrors - they never parked like that again!

Marelli Tue 01-Dec-15 07:48:57

I think the pair of them would be awful to live next door to! Very much 'holier than thou' types, from what I gathered. Looking back on the scene, I can see it as quite funny, now.... me squeezing back and forth between cars, the man pontificating, me replying very loudly with a delicate description of how he'd selfishly f***ing parked, and then his shocked, chin-wobbling response grin.
Oh well, it would give them something to self-righteously mutter about while she polished his shoes up to a fine shine, as he rustled his newspaper (that, apparently, was what he was going to buy at the Spar shop)...."you go and get yer paper, I'll just stay here," she said to him, comfortingly....!
Time to get up now and decide what more havoc I can create today wink

loopylou Tue 01-Dec-15 07:55:12

Atta girl!
grin

vampirequeen Tue 01-Dec-15 08:58:59

You go girl. And this time if you let rip DO NOT apologise.

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Dec-15 09:18:13

Marelli I think your apology for swearing but sticking to your complaint about his behaviour was a good move.

numberplease Tue 01-Dec-15 16:48:12

You go get `em Marelli!

Marelli Tue 01-Dec-15 16:52:57

number - and there you were....thinking I was a Laydee!! wink

Rubyredshoes Tue 01-Dec-15 18:04:26

Do they sell smelling-salts at your Spar? As if his wife is so easily offended by a woman swearing in the street he was probably rushing in to buy some so that she didn't suffer from an attack of the "vapours".

Jane10 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:10:01

Is there anywhere locally that you can go to practice your swearing technique? Perhaps you could hang out in a building site? After that you would find it second nature to let fly with the expletives, your reputation would get around and then nobody would dare to get in your way. Its a long game but might help? Otherwise just call out the Grans and we'll all come and swear at inconsiderate parkers! tchgrin

Marelli Tue 01-Dec-15 19:04:58

tchgrintchgrintchgrin!

annodomini Tue 01-Dec-15 19:45:50

If I had found such a moron blocking my way, I might have got out of the car and asked him if he could move it for me without doing any damage... if I'd thought of it, of course. That's the kind of response you think of at least two hours later after a sustaining brew.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 01-Dec-15 20:55:20

Well done, Marelli! Could we take up Jane10's idea and organise a roving team of GNers who could ride to the rescue and swear at people who can't park properly until they crawl away? If we worked at it we could sing the appropriate words in harmony, and they wouldn't know what had hit them. You would have to be the leader, as you are obviously more experienced (so far) than the rest of us. What do you think?

annodomini grin!

rosesarered Tue 01-Dec-15 21:16:58

we all need to sometimes release the inner Rab.C.Nesbitt tchgrin

Jane10 Tue 01-Dec-15 21:22:04

when just imagine the Grans's swearing practice! "Now girls one, two, three, f***!"

Marelli Tue 01-Dec-15 21:42:28

I'll look out my string vest and mucky bandage for my head, rosesarered!
anno - I do wish I'd thought of that... grin - and Wheniwasyourage, we could take note of our logo (see above) and all join hands right across the bottom of our street - (it wouldn't need many of us as the street is so narrow). One of us could hang onto the wobbly and leaky down-pipe outside the Convenience Store and the one at the other end could cling to the crumbling roughcast of the Spar shop.
Altogether now? F***!!! tchgrin

gillybob Tue 01-Dec-15 22:32:17

I have loved reading this thread Marelli and can picture the scene so well. grin grin grin

sorry for laughing, but I find the thought of you letting rip with such colorful language really amusing