Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rules are rules. Or are they?

(33 Posts)
Charleygirl Tue 08-Dec-15 16:33:48

Anniebach these idiots are all three!

Alea my Waitrose is in NW London. I doubt if area matters, there are selfish louts everywhere. i agree, what is the meaning of that world "old"? That really is derogatory. The other two words, especially the former, are every day language to many of today's youngsters, with or without an education.

mollie Tue 08-Dec-15 16:16:27

I'm glad it's not just me then (although sometimes I'd like to break the odd rule myself, you know, just to be daring!!) Generally I glare like mad at anyone arrogane, ill mannered or selfish enough to go against the flow in this situation but one day I'll make some withering comment although I expect I'll get a horrible mouthful back - it's the norm these days, isn't it! Grrrrr tchangry

mollie Tue 08-Dec-15 16:09:03

Oh yes, Alea ... lol!

Anniebach Tue 08-Dec-15 16:03:48

I too would keep to the rules , those who break them are either arrogant, ill mannered or very selfish

Alea Tue 08-Dec-15 15:08:59

I wonder if that is the same Waitrose carpark where I was shouted at as I stood my ground nose to nose with someone going the wrong way, as in "Learn to drive you f...old..c...!"?
As an ex-teacher I am familiar with the f and the c words, but OLD??????
Shortly after this incident I tweeted a comment to Waitrose and the "no entry", "no left turn" signs appeared the next week along with unconvincing info that CCTV cameras were in operation.
Does Oakgrove sound familiar?

Charleygirl Tue 08-Dec-15 15:02:55

I am also a sheep. If some clown is driving the wrong way down a road at Waitrose I will sit there until he backs down. I drive round and round looking for a car park space and I have never knowingly flouted the rules.

kittylester Tue 08-Dec-15 14:36:34

It seems to me good manners to observe the rules. Maybe I'm a sheep too!

mollie Tue 08-Dec-15 13:40:52

My local Waitrose has a sensible traffic flow system neatly signposted with the usual no entry, one way traffic and no left or right turn signs. It works really well imho. But there are always some drivers who do their own thing, can't bear to drive that little bit further so break all the rules to get to their preferred parking spot or exit. It drives (ha ha) me MAD!

Today I ended up headlight to headlight with some idiot who felt it was OK to cut through a 'no entry' and come the wrong way down the road. So far I have only resorted to glaring and swearing at the miscreant in the privacy of my car (windows always up) but it's only a matter of time... OK, I know it's a private car park and the rules aren't legally binding (I don't think) and so far I've yet to see an accident caused by these drivers. BUT, rules are rules. Aren't they? Or, is it ok to flout the rules if you can do so safely? Not just in Waitrose's car park but in life generally? Or is it me? Am I one of life's sheep...do I need to 'lighten up and get a life'? Should I learn to break a few rules maybe?