Gransnet forums

AIBU

Susan Sarandon and Syrian Refugees

(83 Posts)
rosequartz Fri 18-Dec-15 19:46:25

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/susan-sarandon-greece-refugees_56740c50e4b014efe0d50c45

hmm not sure how I feel about this which was posted by a lady who runs a small charity helping the refugees. On the one hand is it good publicity about the plight of the refugees and how much help they need?
On the other hand is it a Hollywood actress going out there and 'virtue signalling' (as they say)?

If she goes home and tells her compratiots that they need to take more refugees into their rich country that could be a good thing.
However, Greece (and Turkey) is really struggling to help the refugees.

I think that it's all the unsung heroes and heroines who are helping who deserve our applause, not a Hollywood film star who flies in and out with a film crew.

Or AIBU?

Riverwalk Sat 19-Dec-15 10:56:37

From what little I know about Susan Sarandon over the years, I think she and her ex husband, Tim Robbins, were often involved in human rights issues and politics - so not just an airhead turning up for a photo opportunity.

She seems quite genuine and the US public is in need of a counterbalance to the views of their politicians.

durhamjen Sat 19-Dec-15 11:32:50

She'd better get a move on, though, and get those refugees to the US, just in case Trump gets in.

Anniebach Sat 19-Dec-15 11:54:28

Any charity who has a well known patron are happy for the person to fly in and fly out if it means a higher profile for the charity.

People do what they can, some knit warm clothes, some living in the area retrieve bodies from the sea, some fund raise, some offer a home , no one can do more than they are able to do and all are helping , no gold stars for retrieving a body from the sea more than knitting a jumper or making a film .

I can't go to Africa and dig for water but I can raise money for water aid , same for all who do what they can for the good of others

Eloethan Sat 19-Dec-15 14:54:32

I do think that some celebrities try to raise their profiles by doing "good deeds" or appearing on programmes raising money for charity. But that isn't everybody. Some of them contribute a lot in terms of time and money without making a big thing of it. I think it is the charities that sometimes ask them to front a particular campaign because a "celebrity" will get more air time/newspaper space than an unknown person.

There are a lot of decent, caring people in the world and I don't think there is any reason to suppose that "celebrities" aren't among them.

Lyndie Sat 19-Dec-15 23:29:42

Whenever I see celebrities or reporters in these refugee camps or migrants travelling miles on foot trying to find s better place to live. I feel overwhelmed. It's seems a too big a task to complete and then guilt and wish I didn't know about it! I feel there is nothing I can do. The numbers are too great for countries or individuals to deal with. It's just scratching at the surface. This country helps refugees. We have no money really. Trillions in debt. We spend money we don't actually have! All very scary.

durhamjen Sun 20-Dec-15 10:10:27

This country helps refugees?

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/18/charity-appeal-red-cross-lifeline-refugees-lost-in-dead-zone

Read this. I feel ashamed.

durhamjen Sun 20-Dec-15 10:13:24

If this country sorted out the tax problem, we would be able to help these refugees. This country helps rich people and companies avoid/evade paying their fair share of tax. Then we end up having refugees living on ten pound a week hand outs from the Red Cross. These are refugees who have been sent back to their own countries and been refused entry, so they live in the no-man's land of Leeds.

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 10:34:54

What else can we expect when a member of this governments cabinet said in a tv interview, if we accept them here it would lower our standard of living

rosequartz Sun 20-Dec-15 10:38:55

Failed asylum seekers are not refugees. There is a reason they have failed the criteria for obtaining refugee status.
(Destroyed papers? economic migrants?)

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 10:56:01

Human beings ?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 11:03:24

Yes. And of course, we've got room for all the human beings in the world in these little islands. And our NHS and schools have overflowing coffers.

Stop the virtue signalling.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 11:03:34

Yes. And of course, we've got room for all the human beings in the world in these little islands. And our NHS and schools have overflowing coffers.

Stop the virtue signalling.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 11:06:45

You have to be realistic.

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 11:08:31

I am being realistic, winter - cold, wind, rain, snow - no shelter - human beings

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 11:11:34

Pleeeease, virtual signalling is just used in a useless attempt to shut up people who are more worried about people without a home than how does Delia or nigella cook the turkey

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 11:13:43

The answer has to be logical. I'm not sure what your answer to the refugee problem actually is. What would you do?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 11:15:41

No. I think the phrase is very relevant to today's society, with its social media. These phrases are usually invented as a result of some sort of need.

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 11:21:32

They are invented for the use of those who enjoy patronising and putting people down

Penstemmon Sun 20-Dec-15 12:39:12

High profile figures can keep attention on this very difficult situation. Poorer places than the UK / US are currently attempting to assist the vast majority of displaced families.

If UK/US offered more practical /financial help in the places where the refugees are, and come from, it would be a step towards alleviating the dreadful suffering.

I believe we do have the money to expand the NHS /schools but not the political will to do so.

Many of the refugees would be beneficial to our economy in the long run.

It would be interesting to think what immigration policy based on applicants need to live safely would look like. All those antipodean migrants would be sent home...making space for those who NEED to relocate.

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 12:50:41

'Failed asylum seekers are not refugees' exactly Rose

'The no-mans land of Leeds' djen tchgrin is it that bad?

ab there is plenty of room in Wales maybe, but the south of England is bursting at the seams.

Anniebach Sun 20-Dec-15 13:02:14

Wales is taking refugees but also whilst Wales has plenty of open spaces there is no housing on snowdonia, Beacons or Black mountains or in the middle of forestries. Lots of room on the Cotswolds though

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 13:15:35

What, with Cotswolds house prices? much cheaper in Wales.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 13:17:38

Oh what a stupid thing to say. Are we really supposed to give everything of beauty over to these troubles? I want my grandchildren to see the beauty of the countryside.

Shall we hope that the UN talks have a good outcome?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 13:17:59

That was to ab

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 13:18:41

The fact is that people have to go where there are plenty of jobs, so London and Greater London and The Thames Valley really are bursting at the seams, and not enough houses, and other infrastructure for them.