Gransnet forums

AIBU

Susan Sarandon and Syrian Refugees

(82 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:46:31

Perhaps best to look up her credentials in humanitarian work before dismissing her as just giving a hug and putting on socks.

Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:35:37

Yes they do and they also give use of their names to countless charities. I doubt Sarandon is doing all that in the hope of finding fame, she is politically active in America and if making documentaries to be aired in America resulting in more refugees being given a safe haven or more money goes into those camps then she is doing good , a hug is good but practical hrlp is needed too

merlotgran Fri 18-Dec-15 20:31:05

I'm struggling to see the connection between Susan Sarandon and the Royal family - other than the regal wave which at least the Windsors use on appropriate occasions.

rosequartz Fri 18-Dec-15 20:24:44

But what is she doing in practical terms?? Hugging and changing socks.
Perhaps she will go back to America and lobby them to take in more refugees.

Do we not have the Windsors not doing the same as Sarandon? At least they set up things like The Prince's Trust and the Duke of Edinburgh Award and Prince Harry's charity etc etc.

Anniebach Fri 18-Dec-15 20:16:52

A. Hollywood film star can do more than an unknown hero or heroin. Do we not have the Windsors not doing the same as Sarandon?

grannylyn65 Fri 18-Dec-15 20:12:03

No, you're spot on!

rosequartz Fri 18-Dec-15 19:46:25

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/susan-sarandon-greece-refugees_56740c50e4b014efe0d50c45

hmm not sure how I feel about this which was posted by a lady who runs a small charity helping the refugees. On the one hand is it good publicity about the plight of the refugees and how much help they need?
On the other hand is it a Hollywood actress going out there and 'virtue signalling' (as they say)?

If she goes home and tells her compratiots that they need to take more refugees into their rich country that could be a good thing.
However, Greece (and Turkey) is really struggling to help the refugees.

I think that it's all the unsung heroes and heroines who are helping who deserve our applause, not a Hollywood film star who flies in and out with a film crew.

Or AIBU?