Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we over emotional ?

(161 Posts)
NanKate Mon 11-Jan-16 15:25:35

I woke up this morning to the sad news of the death of David Bowie.

Every time I have switched on the radio or BBC News24 that is the main topic of conversation The 1.00 o'clock news was predominantly about his life.

Don't get me wrong this news needs to be covered, but I just feel it rather too much. Hope I am not becoming an old cynic.

What do others think ?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 19:30:19

Wheniwasyourage, by "evil bastards" I mean IS, al qaeda, and the like. The ones who would like to destroy our way of life.

David Bowie was more of my children's generation than mine tbh. But I'm not only talking about me. A lot of other are involved here!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 19:30:43

other people

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 19:31:54

I guess nobody actually makes us listen to the radio and television news all day. There is an 'off' switch! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 19:47:25

wheniwasyourage I don't know why you think that was bizarre, and it's bugging me. Could you put me out of my misery by explaining. Please. grin

Smileless2012 Mon 11-Jan-16 20:10:05

I'm pleased that the death of David Bowie has had so much coverage. He was one of the greatest musical talents that this country has ever produced and I think it's right, that on the day of his death he is remembered and his amazing talent is paid tribute too.

I grew up with his music and was fortunate enough to see him in concert 6 times; the best live performer I ever saw. Not to every one's taste but why shouldn't those who wish to show their respect by lighting candles and laying flowers etc. be able to do so without being criticised.

I'm not ashamed to say that I cried when I put the tv on this morning and heard the sad news. It's the end of an era. I have every album he ever produced and Mr. S. and I have had many great evenings listening to his music, always with the volume turned up high and will have a great many more.

flowersand thanks for your truly amazing talent David Bowie.

Deedaa Mon 11-Jan-16 22:02:30

I was never much of a Bowie fan, although he was very talented as a musician and an actor. I thought it was sad that he has died at a comparatively young age (speaking as another 69 year old) but not really worth hours of television coverage. For me George Harrison was more of a loss, I still think it's awful that George isn't somewhere out there.

I am impressed by the way he seems to have just quietly got on with living out the months he had left. Very different from the continual soul baring of some celebrities.

tanith Mon 11-Jan-16 22:19:16

Had to give up with 10o'clock news enough is enough. I do like Bowie but please enough already.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 22:19:56

I am criticising BBC for filling the news with his death, the leading item at 6 and now again at 10 plus all day rolling news

Let those who wish light their candles but I don't want it on the news all day

It seems more important than the government's announcement today on more help for anorexic suffers , as my elder daughter is in hospital weighing under five stone and she is 8'9 , too weak to walk more than a few yards this is important not the death of a pop star from the seventies , and we have the doctors strike , even this is less important than interviewing a woman he lived with for a few months in the seventies

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 22:21:02

Deeda, I liked Harrison too

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 22:23:41

I've just seen my first tv coverage of him today. It reminds me how odd I always thought him. Weird really.

But I do like that Star man song. I seem to remember seeing a video of him dancing once. I think it was to Dancing in the Street. But I could be wrong.

Perhaps he's a bit over-hyped.

Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-16 22:24:19

He was a great entertainer - but I agree that the coverage is a bit OTT - a brief announcement, then a "special" that fans can watch would seem to be the way to go.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 22:26:15

My younger daughter loved him. Along with Duran Duran.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 22:26:48

I cried when Roy Orbison died.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 22:31:17

I might buy one of his cd's. I could do my exercise biking to it.

merlotgran Mon 11-Jan-16 22:34:47

I miss George Harrison as well and I suppose the similarity with Bowie is that they both managed to keep the press at bay as they fought their terminal illnesses.

I was sad when I heard the news this morning because so many pop icons of our era are dying. Thinking back, they had their children when we were having ours so it's does make you shudder when they pop off.

Way too much news coverage though.

Anniebach Mon 11-Jan-16 22:40:32

I give up, the paper review are discussing him now

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 11-Jan-16 22:43:01

jings it could be Let's Dance your thinking of (great dance track) and that's my favourite Bowie song, although Under Pressure with Queen is a close second. He had a different style for each album and his strength was being able to pull it off, probably gaining more listeners each time. The album he released the other day is an album of Jazz music.

I probably liked the single(s) from most of his albums, so I might buy the compilation album that's bound to be released now.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-Jan-16 22:52:37

Yes! I think that is it. I thought "Dancing in the Street" wasn't quite right for him. hmm

I don't like the look of this last video. Very weird.

ninathenana Tue 12-Jan-16 00:06:43

Even my news feed on FB is flooded with Bowie.
Did any of you watch the programme at 7pm on BBC1 or have we all had enough ?

Nvella Tue 12-Jan-16 00:36:58

Have to agree - I liked him a lot but this is too much. I don't remember all this when John Lennon was murdered at 40.

Tegan Tue 12-Jan-16 01:07:20

John Lennon wasn't still writing great music at the time of his death.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 12-Jan-16 06:43:16

ninathenana I'd had enough, but I might watch it on catch up.

Marelli Tue 12-Jan-16 06:52:30

jingl, Bowie and Mick Jagger performed 'Dancing in the Street'. I agree that the coverage has been over the top. For it to be the first item read out on the main news this evening, with the nation's flooding nightmares taking second place, doesn't seem right somehow. hmm

Marelli Tue 12-Jan-16 06:54:08

Sorry, that was last night, not this evening. Not quite awake yet! grin

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 12-Jan-16 07:00:54

I'd completely forgotten they covered Dancing in the Street, but now I remember the mad video of them dancing! grin