Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog poo

(68 Posts)
Sadiesnan Sat 23-Jan-16 17:29:38

Am I being unreasonable to expect all dog owners to pick up and dispose of their dog's poo?

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 14:50:59

The Phoenix, wait for a while to 'cool' then pick up.

And sorry, if you can't then just don't have dogs- truly- no excuse.

Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 14:58:48

I feel it is a bit like changing babies' nappies. Your own DC or DGC - no problem. Others', less so!
I slip my hand into the bag, pick up the offending article with my hand inside - so no risk of contact- (and warm is no worse than cold!) turn the bag inside out and then tie the handles int a cute little double knot.
You don't even have to let the whiff reach your nostrils!
It helps if it is not runny shock and it is easier on grass, unless Fido has obliged with a mini rock, when it doesn't matter.
There are also gadgets to use with poo bags, but I have never felt them necessary.

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 16:03:18

If you don't take the dogs for proper walks, then where else are they going to 'unfortunately' poop- they have little choice, no. Or do you let them poop in your lounge?

Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 16:06:26

One thought phoenix is that as they are not your dogs, would a friendly word with their owner go amiss? I would have no objection to going out and clearing it up if it was my dog.

Av1dreader Sun 24-Jan-16 16:09:49

As a large family group we went on the London eye yesterday. We had a 40 minute wait , not easy as we had 3 under 5 year old, but was ok kids were good. We were all furious when a couple queue jumped by removing the barrier a bit behind us They then proceeded to push through several people but got stuck behind us too many of us in the way. This couple were early sixties and Irish, so old enough to know better and had no language barrier as an excuse We had to laugh when they got stuck in a pod with us and by time we got off we had a baby who was in need of a nappy change and had had one active toddler jumping about .probably not the experience they hoped for Karma is a b...... (Smile)

Av1dreader Sun 24-Jan-16 16:12:49

Sorry put this in wrong place.

Tegan Sun 24-Jan-16 16:14:47

I couldn't pick up someone else's dog's poo. With my own, I carry a small plastic shovel...I can't do the 'hand in plastic bag' thing.

phoenix Sun 24-Jan-16 16:48:15

Granjura please read my post again, they are NOT my dogs!

Alea their owner is my boss, so I do tell him where they have "been" so that he can go and clean up!

Stansgran Sun 24-Jan-16 16:53:01

There are elderly people near us who "walk"their dog while on their mobility scooter . They don't seem capable of getting off to clear up. I'm not sure if disabled people have rewritten the rules.

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 17:00:42

Pheonix- apologies I didn't pick this up (oops no pun intended) about it not being your dogs. So don't let them get away with it- speak to the warden or whatever, put notices up- get support. And sorry again flowers

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 17:01:28

not easy if it is your boss- but even then ;)

phoenix Sun 24-Jan-16 17:14:33

No problem Granjura! Also no problem with my boss, I tell him where it is, then it's up to him!grin

merlotgran Sun 24-Jan-16 17:36:10

Whenever I take our dogs to the vet I head straight for the patch of grass in front of the car park (with my poo bags) because as soon as they know where they are they want to 'go'.

No problem with that but the grass is in front of an office block with large windows so as I straighten up I usually see about fifteen pairs of eyes staring at me.

I wonder if they keep a tally of those who pick up and those who don't and I wonder if they get any work done? grin

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 18:14:17

Now at a slight tangent- have you ever told anyone not picking up to do so? Not for the faint hearted that- the language and attitude unbelievable!!!

MamaCaz Sun 24-Jan-16 18:30:43

As a grandparent, I don't feel that kicking the poo into the hedgerows, or the undergrowth in wooded areas etc, is sufficient. I'm sure it's not just my grandchildren who play in such places! Bag it and dispose of it properly. Dogs are not wild animals so it isn't acceptable to leave their poo in wild places.

Also, our local woods are littered with bags of poo left hanging from trees. Maybe some of the owners retrieve them on their way back to their cars, but most quite clearly don't. Disgusting!

Iam64 Sun 24-Jan-16 18:39:58

I did shout to two shaven headed guys who had 4 staffies (or were they stuffy x pit bulls, very large dogs anyway) - hey, I think you missed this, one of your dogs just crapped in the middle of the path. They turned and shouted back, what am I supposed to do about it. I said "pick it up and put it in the plastic bag I'm sure you have in your pocket". The owner instantly pulled out his pockets, no plastic bag. I said in "don't worry, I've got spares" and waved one at them. I had 3 dogs with me, one of which is just a bit reactive and fearful of dogs bigger than him, I felt similarly about the men. Their response - to hurl an earful of abuse at me, after which they swaggered off to continue the 3 mile walk around our lovely reservoir.
Most folks are delighted if you call out that they missed their dog and offer them a pooh bag, but there are always one or two nasty folks around.

Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 18:53:47

Brave iam64 - sad how some poor dogs have the crappiest owners.

tiggypiro Sun 24-Jan-16 19:17:54

Yes, I have told someone to pick up their dogs poo. Fortunately they were responsible owners and just hadn't noticed what their dog had done or at least that is how they responded (or were they disappointed they had been found out ?) Either way it was picked up.

merlotgran Sun 24-Jan-16 19:39:39

Years ago I was walking along a fairly crowded beach (which allowed dogs) with a friend and her dog did a 'big one'. My friend flew into a panic because she'd forgotten to take any poo bags. I searched through my pockets and handbag but couldn't find anything larger than a small tissue.

A woman, watching, walked towards us and pulled out a bag of toffees from her rucksack. I was about to say, 'No thank you,' as she held them out but she emptied the toffees into her pocket and handed me the empty cellophane bag.

Her quick thinking was much appreciated but I wonder what she'd have done if we'd each just taken a toffee and walked off? shock

granjura Sun 24-Jan-16 19:57:01

lol- great story - I would have taken a toffee AND the bag x

Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 20:00:44

A dog owning friend once appeared at my door in some distress to ask if I could spare a poo bag as she had gone out with 2, one in each pocket but Fido (Gertie actually) has just done a third on the green in front of our house shock smile

Iam64 Mon 25-Jan-16 18:51:10

B*** dogs. I walked three of them this morning, took six bags, you'd think that would work. Not so, big dog needed 3 goes - luckily I had spares in my inside pocket..
I don't know if everyone is aware that its now the law for dog walkers to have pooh bags in their pocket.

Tegan Mon 25-Jan-16 23:46:55

What I don't understand is how more comes out of them than goes in confused.

merlotgran Tue 26-Jan-16 09:18:15

There are many reasons why we won't ever have another large dog but the size of the poo has to come high up the list. grin

Sadiesnan Tue 26-Jan-16 16:50:07

I have poo bags in all my pockets, even when I don't have the dog with me.