Gransnet forums

AIBU

Estate Agents!!!

(42 Posts)
mollie Fri 29-Jan-16 09:24:25

The word barracuda comes to mind. We've decided to relocate but are still fine tuning our plans. I phoned an agent two days ago in the area we're thinking of moving to, discussed our plans and declined their offer of helping to sell ours. We wanted to go down the on-line agency route. This morning I've had two random calls within 15 minutes of each other from agents in my area, connected to that first agent (a nationwide chain), who have potential buyers and want to sign us up!

TWO! In 15 minutes! Do I believe they have buyers waiting and sign up with pound signs in my eyes and commit us to thousands of pounds in fees or hold out and stick to our plan? I know they have to find business and earn their fees but don't they deserve their reputations!!!

annodomini Wed 03-Feb-16 10:38:30

It's not uncommon, ann. My son's efforts to buy/sell for the past year have been fraught with similar shenanigans on the part of vendors and purchasers.

annsixty Wed 03-Feb-16 09:28:26

My friend rang me last night and it looks as though the vendor of the bungalow she likes may "take it off the market". She appears to have been playing games to see what her bungalow will fetch. So underhand and actually quite cruel, has anyone else come across this?

tinaf1 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:15:24

Maggie 273 I was under the impression that Purple Bricks was paid a fee regardless of if they sold your property 798.00 outside London + extra 132.00 for them to do viewings if you use their solicitor you do not have to pay until completion or 10 months from signing with them if you do not use their solicitor you pay straight away, please correct me if I am mistaken

mollie Mon 01-Feb-16 18:41:31

Mmmm, interesting. I hate the thought but perhaps it's worth keeping this all in mind.

Ana Mon 01-Feb-16 16:39:41

Yes, I definitely agree, ann!

annsixty Mon 01-Feb-16 16:33:58

My friend referred to above had a very interested couple who left to go straight to the agent to make an offer but never got there and another couple who made a firm offer and then withdrew it saying they felt they had been impetuous. When the agent rang the first couple they simply said they had decided to carry on looking.
My friend will not now take it off the market until contracts are exchanged.

annsixty Mon 01-Feb-16 16:25:14

That is now happening all the time mollie good luck

Ana Mon 01-Feb-16 16:24:39

I'd be tempted to do that nex time, I'm afraid mollie!

As it is, I've had two sales fall through for different reasons and the time in between the initial offer and eventual withdrawal has been completely wasted as of course the Agents slapped Sale Agreed on the board as soon as I accepted the offers...

mollie Mon 01-Feb-16 16:19:29

I'm told by Tepilo they do credit and financial checks when an offer is made to determine if it's a viable offer, I don't know what that entails but it reassures me a little.

It's been a long time since I tried buying and selling but I've noticed that house prices are being shown as 'offers from' or a straight price with no rider or 'offers around' or 'guide price' so there's a variation to work with. It seems a very cut-throat sort of business these days with buyers accepting offers, letting solicitors get involved and yet still having the property on offer - whoever comes up with the signed contract and the money first gets the property without consideration of the money you might spend in the process and be pipped at the post! Annoying.

petra Mon 01-Feb-16 15:40:13

Have any of you done a viewing just before exchange of contracts. Things can change from that first viewing til 3 months later.

Charleygirl Mon 01-Feb-16 12:26:44

I hope never to move from here- I do not think that I could stand all of the stress, I still have not forgotten moving here in 1996 and the furniture van did not turn up. This was not a fly by nighter, it was a reputable company. I ended up sharing the van with the people from whom I was buying this house. They moved first and then the van returned to my old address, luckily less than 2 miles away for my belongings.

annsixty Mon 01-Feb-16 11:56:20

My friend has seen a tiny bungalow which she really likes and the vendor has received an offer from someone at £15000 more than the asking price. It is a long time since that was happening. It has put it way out of her reach however it is not worth the extra price.

Nonnie Mon 01-Feb-16 11:30:31

I think there must suddenly be an upsurge as DS's house was valued quite a bit more than he expected and has just gone on the market. After 3 viewings he has an offer of 7% below asking price and another 10 viewings booked! I think it must be because it is well placed for a buy to let and the rules change in April.

annsixty Mon 01-Feb-16 09:09:24

I last bought a house in 1976. Reading all this and having a friend in the middle of it all I am staying put.

Ana Sun 31-Jan-16 20:40:10

Yes, I know that identity etc. has to be proved to solicitors when the transaction gets underway, but not Estate Agents. They have to accept what the would-be purchasers tell them and have no authority to ask for proof.

J52 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:04:02

No it is a house in England. The money laundering rules are now very strict.

As you mention Scotland, when we bought our Scottish house, DH travelled to Scotland to do the negotiations with the solicitor, but because I was co buying it I had to appear in person with my passport.

X

Ana Sun 31-Jan-16 19:26:18

I don't think that's the case in England and Wales, J52. Are you in Scotland, by any chance?

J52 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:23:11

Once an offer is made the prospective buyer has to provide evidence as to where the money is coming from. This is to satisfy money laundering rules.

We know exactly where our buyers are getting their money from and how much mortgage they require.

X

Catlover123 Sun 31-Jan-16 14:35:00

purple bricks does not get a good write up in Mumsnet, but Housenetwork does. Anyone had dealings with them?

ellenemery Sat 30-Jan-16 20:58:37

My eldest son is looking to move to Nottinghamshire. Today he had three appointments in Newark. They drove the 100 plus miles but arrived slightly early so popped into the estate agents to pick up some details of the properties only to be told the second property they were to view had been sold earlier in the week. When they arrived at the first appointment no estate agent arrived, they were let in by a neighbour. I hope he is not charging the client much for his services.

Ana Sat 30-Jan-16 19:22:42

I'm not sure how finances can be verified, J52. Estate Agents can't very well approach prospective buyers' bankers for details so do have to rely on what people tell them - which isn't always the truth!

I'm afraid I have to agree with your maxim when it comes to house selling/buying...unfortunately.

annsixty Sat 30-Jan-16 19:19:52

I don't think they do. They are basically sales men though a skilled negotiater is worth his weight in gold once you have someone interested in your property.

J52 Sat 30-Jan-16 19:18:39

Mumsnet has a thread on Purple Bricks it might be worth looking before committing.

Our agent seems to be doing a good job in keeping us informed of our impending sale. She is talking the buyer through the process and keeping us informed.

Things have changed since we last sold, everything seems to be more open and finances have to be verified.

However, my maxim is ' trust no one'!

x

Gaggi3 Sat 30-Jan-16 19:08:56

I not sure if it is still the case, but until fairly recently estate agents needed no professional qualfications.

Nonnie Sat 30-Jan-16 16:35:47

We sold our last house during a downturn in the market and didn't get any offers until I told the agent I wanted to show people round. The next two both made offers and we accepted the second. The sale went through very quickly! I think I am better at it than they are!