Gransnet forums

AIBU

Yes I am an old prude.

(88 Posts)
Jayh Tue 23-Feb-16 12:43:09

Fear of Flying is a book that changed my life when I read it in my 20s and was impressionable. However, I doubt if it has stood the test of time and I am surprised that someone has gone to the bother of dramatising it. Hardly great literature.
The OH and I often turn off TV programmes because of swearing. The latest proramme we discarded is called Vynil. The script seemed to have only one word in it and it begins with f.
Am I a prude? I prefer to think that I am discerning. grin

Stansgran Tue 23-Feb-16 12:40:55

I didn't swear at all as a young woman. I do now I think because I hear my husband swear a lot. His father did but my parents never. I think DH has become Mr Angry in his old age. I was always told and told my children that it was a sign of a limited vocabulary. I hate most of the comedians on the Apollo show. Mainly because of the language.

FarNorth Tue 23-Feb-16 12:29:46

I did read Fear of Flying years ago. It was considered very shocking at the time. I don't think it's suitable for morning radio, even nowadays.

FarNorth Tue 23-Feb-16 12:27:06

Billy Connolly claimed that he has a great vocabulary but that he just prefers swear words.

Many people seem to find swear words in themselves to be funny. I don't. If the act/joke/whatever isn't funny without swear words then it usually isn't funny with them, either, imho.

I also find it tedious trying to discern what is actually being said, if there is a lot of swearing.

wot Tue 23-Feb-16 12:26:48

I read [or started to read] the book years ago and thought it was horrible. I don't mind swearing but her book was just so over the top and filthy!

NanKate Tue 23-Feb-16 12:22:10

I agree so much with you Nonnie. We went to see Ross Noble live, as he had made us laugh so much on the TV. Well I wish we had walked out. He was dire, which is sad as he can be so funny.

A friend of mine years ago went to a show and there was a very blue comedian - it was Rolf Harris !!

Nonnie Tue 23-Feb-16 12:08:46

Why is it that the comedians who perform on TV and can be very funny think that when they perform live they have to pepper it all with these words? Do they think that is the way we all speak all the time?

I've forgotten the name of the one we saw who described himself as 'middle class' and is funny on TV but I couldn't watch him again after his horrid live show. I thought such words were only used by those with a poor vocabulary?

NanKate Tue 23-Feb-16 11:47:33

Thanks for the supportive replies All.

My grandfather was a singer, dancer and comedian in the Music Hall. He would often say 'If you have to be rude to get a laugh, you aren't worth your salt'.

I am all for a bit of innuendo, but am sick of all the bad language that is now used by both men and women. It's a sad old world.

kittylester Tue 23-Feb-16 11:38:23

I was going to start a thread along similar lines. I'm not a prude and I don't think you are really 'NanKate'.

For Christmas we were given tickets to see 'Old Folks Telling Jokes' which was on as part of Leicester Comedy Festival. The 'star' and compere was Arthur Smith who seemed the think that the 'f' word and a couple of 'c' words made him hilarious as, to be fair, did most of the audience. I think they must all have had a lot more to drink before the start than we had.

The rest of the 'comedians' seemed to think the same apart from a female vicar from Devon (whose name I can't remember) who was genuinely funny and who only swore 3 times.

Nonnie Tue 23-Feb-16 11:36:05

Wish I could have switched off the theatre last night. It was 'Toast', full of swearing and very little plot. What a waste of an evening. I suppose the actors did a good job but I wonder why they accepted once they had read the script?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Feb-16 11:31:40

Sounds 'orrible!

Daft lot at the Beeb. hmm

POGS Tue 23-Feb-16 11:28:08

I have a signed first edition, must find out if it's worth anything?

That's the joy of the 'Off Switch' NanKate. smile

NanKate Tue 23-Feb-16 11:25:13

Listening to the quarter of an hour play at the end of Woman's Hour today I realised that the content was just not for me and switched off. They were dramatising 'Fear of Flying' by Erica Jong.

In the space of a few minutes I heard such words as shag, erection, limp, tongues etc etc. it was only 10.45 and it completely put me off my Hobnobs grin

I have absolutely no objection to anyone reading the book, or listening in the evening to plays like this. I'm just pleased my DGSs weren't about with their big ears saying 'What's a prick Nan' ?

I know I am old fashioned and behind the times, but that's me.