Gransnet forums

AIBU

Yes I am an old prude.

(89 Posts)
NanKate Tue 23-Feb-16 11:25:13

Listening to the quarter of an hour play at the end of Woman's Hour today I realised that the content was just not for me and switched off. They were dramatising 'Fear of Flying' by Erica Jong.

In the space of a few minutes I heard such words as shag, erection, limp, tongues etc etc. it was only 10.45 and it completely put me off my Hobnobs grin

I have absolutely no objection to anyone reading the book, or listening in the evening to plays like this. I'm just pleased my DGSs weren't about with their big ears saying 'What's a prick Nan' ?

I know I am old fashioned and behind the times, but that's me.

Balini Wed 09-Mar-16 09:02:43

Billy Connoly, is a very sad man. He has a wonderful sense of humour, and can be very funny. That is, until he starts with the foul language, and jokes about bodily functions. Then I switch him off. I wouldn't invite a friend into my home, and allow him to use such language, in front of my wife and children. I'm not a prude, and can use bad language, when in the appropriate company. Never in front of women and children.

LullyDully Thu 03-Mar-16 11:23:56

That makes sense MOnica

M0nica Thu 03-Mar-16 09:15:45

I understand watermeadow's complaint. R4 is giving more and more time to 15 minute programmes. Either long series (like the current 50 Great Indians) with 15 minute snippets each day, or drama. Each day there are generally three different books being read/dramatised in 15 minute snippets (9.45,10.45 and 22.45) plus the Archers (twice!). Not to mention several other snippety 15 minute programmes.

I gave up on any book dramatisations on either on radio or television quite some years ago. War and Peace being reduced to ... was it six episodes or four must be rock bottom. No, perhaps the Bible, old and new testament. in 20 15 minute episodes?

I think Jane Eyre is being dramatised over 2 weeks.

LullyDully Thu 03-Mar-16 08:56:28

Can't work out how a book like Jane Eyre can be condensed into one hour and a quarter. They have only just met and it's Thursday already. ps love that book. Is Rob playing Mr Rochester?

townie Thu 03-Mar-16 00:08:40

PS must just query why watermeadow objects to a dramatisation of Jane Eyre, which was what was on R4 at 10,45 today...

townie Thu 03-Mar-16 00:05:36

So ,yes, OP I do think you are a prude, but it's your right to be one. Live and let live.
Am a bit surprised at how much support there is for your views on this thread but I only visit GN occasionally as I generally feel happier on MN. ( and in any case a lot of the posts are on a completely different subject from the original, ie, use of swear words in comedy).

townie Wed 02-Mar-16 17:54:05

I read the book back in the day and it certainly is of its time. Heard a few extracts on WH. Wasn't riveted by it but honestly can't imagine why anyone of my sort of age was shocked.

Also it is rather daft IMO to say that radio is different from a book because it 'comes into your living room'. It is totally under your control. You can switch it off, just as you can close - or never open - a book. And there were plenty of warnings to give anyone who wished the opportunity to switch off.

watermeadow Thu 25-Feb-16 18:55:32

15 minute bits on Radio 4 today: 9.45, 10.45, 12, 1.45, 2, 2.15, 7.45, 10.45. Forgot the 2nd bloody Archers at 7. Helen's always been the most obnoxious character in Ambridge. I hope Rob batters her to death.

Madmartha Thu 25-Feb-16 16:44:39

Loved Billy Connolly on TV years ago and went to see him live at a local leisure centre where the seats were on staging. He was not funny at all and when the f.....g and c.....g really p....d me off I ordered DH up out of his seat mid performance, clambered over knees and laps and as a parting shot fell down the steps. I was mortified.

NanKate Thu 25-Feb-16 07:45:19

Hello to you Angmhay thanks for your supportive words.

I have found it heartening that so many of you have similar views and from this moment I am officially not an old prude. smile

angmhay Thu 25-Feb-16 00:44:10

Gee! I thought when I typed hello the next word would be in Bold, i.e. NanKate. Ah well - what do I know!!

angmhay Thu 25-Feb-16 00:42:03

hello NanKate Totally agree with you and I'm not a prude either. Don't ever want to have to worry about a programme's content during the day when grandchildren might be about.

Deedaa Wed 24-Feb-16 22:46:41

I was a member of an Am Dram group about 20 years ago and we were putting on a production of Michael Frayn's "Noises Off" There was a lot of debate about the fact that the F word was used once in the third act. We weren't sure what our usual audience would think of it. It brought the house down at every performance! Used just the once, when it wasn't expected, was very funny. Used any more it would have been coarse and boring.

hulahoop Wed 24-Feb-16 22:19:43

What I feel is bad language by that I mean f word c word etc is used as normal language I am not a prude but don't like to hear people using it in front of children or in mixed company .

phoenix Wed 24-Feb-16 19:17:18

water meadow there has long been a 15 minute slot at 9.45 on Woman's Hour, for something serialised over the week or sometimes 2 weeks. The Radio 4 afternoon drama is an hour long.

midgey Wed 24-Feb-16 19:09:13

Ooh I thought it was just me that thought the timing was just so wrong. Turned it off and went out in a huff! Still the sun was shining......

MargaretX Wed 24-Feb-16 18:48:45

Like many others on GN I started to read the book when it came out and soon gave it up. I think she had written something about women's rights beforehand and was out to make money with Fear of Flying.
Its typical of women's hour nowadays. I don't listen anymore except if I'm sewing on the sewing machine and want to relieve the monotony.
I shan't be turning it on this week.

watermeadow Wed 24-Feb-16 18:40:57

I switched off, not because it was rude but because I'm furious at all the 15 minute dramas on Radio 4.
Most TV programmes are now an hour long but radio has been dumbed down to a succession of bits and pieces. Do they think we all have the concentration span of toddlers?

Iam64 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:35:31

I listened to about 5 minutes this morning to see if it interested me. Nope. I didn't like it as a young woman in the 70's and I don't like it even more now.

maxgran Wed 24-Feb-16 17:58:40

I'm afraid I am getting more prudish as I get older. The swearing and obsession with sex in jokes and comedies is just so boring.
I find it hard to believe that adults are still amused by something that should have stopped being funny after adolescence.
I

Beattie Wed 24-Feb-16 17:22:45

I have always found sex a private and wonderful thing NOT to be talked about and broadcast constantly!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Feb-16 17:21:36

phoenix grin

(Sorry. Can't help laughing)

wot Wed 24-Feb-16 17:20:04

I liked the yNancy Friday books which where supposedly feminist.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Feb-16 17:19:42

"You did not have to apologize for wanting to own your own soul. Your soul belonged to you - for better or for worse. When all was said and done, it was all you had."

(From the book)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Feb-16 17:18:55

I suppose the only way to judge the book is to actually read it. I'm not sure listening to an abridged version on the radio can do justice to a book. It's six quid on Kindle, so I might give it a go.