Gransnet forums

AIBU

Was feeling a bit miffed.

(179 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 28-Feb-16 22:22:18

Today DH and I took ourselves up to elder DD's house, about hour and a half journey. Took them all out for nice Sunday lunch to celebrate DD's birthday. Made and took with us a big chocolate birthday cake and other bits and pieces for tea, chocolate for the grandkids, etc. Took her some pretty nice presents which she was very pleased with. And then she tells me she won't be coming to visit next Sunday for Mothers Day. Not that they're going to son-in-laws' Mum's house, or anything like that. Just obviously doesn't want the bother of it.

I got a bit down in the car on the way home. Felt a bit unloved, and decided she was a selfish little so-and-so. But I thought it over during the journey and I have decided to say "sod it", and not care, or think about it anymore.

I think. "Oh fuck it" is going to be my new mantra from now on.

annodomini Sun 06-Mar-16 16:02:51

Glad your DD explained why she couldn't come to see you jingl. I haven't gone south this weekend for various reasons, but anyway, DS2 had to take one child to Taekwondo grading and the other to school football tournament while his partner is at work - in retail management. No wonder they never have time to come north - the traffic has to be all one way.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Mar-16 15:30:20

DS said that in the quite large office where he works, he was the only one going home to see his mum. Seems it's fading fast.

M0nica Sun 06-Mar-16 14:56:11

We are not great event celebrators in our family, Christmas apart. Birthdays get celebrated as and when, other anniversaries and days like today, generally go by without much commemoration, except, possibly, a meal out (any excuse for a meal out). If DC hadn't sent cards I probably wouldn't even have remembered what day it was.

I never feel comfortable if I am riding a band wagon and Mother's Day, like St Valentine's Day, always seems to be a pumped up commercial band wagon. My children show their love and affection is so many ways throughout the year, Mother's Day seems quite superfluous.

annodomini Sun 06-Mar-16 11:38:22

I was right about the voucher. Instructions to buy the third Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) book. And, from DS2's family, an arrangement of yellow roses and tulips delivered from Waitrose - beautifully packaged. Have spent most of the morning on the phone and now really need to go and have my shower.

annodomini Sun 06-Mar-16 11:38:22

I was right about the voucher. Instructions to buy the third Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) book. And, from DS2's family, an arrangement of yellow roses and tulips delivered from Waitrose - beautifully packaged. Have spent most of the morning on the phone and now really need to go and have my shower.

Badenkate Sun 06-Mar-16 11:12:09

B****y predictive text!! That should have been '...our DSs ...'

Badenkate Sun 06-Mar-16 11:10:09

Guess we know our DISCUSSION too well jingl. Mine would only ever send a card with sweet little animals or flowers if it were deeply ironic. DH on the other hand is immediately drawn to anything which has cute furry animals on it

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Mar-16 10:54:06

I can now fully understand why DD1 has to stay at home. They've got so much going on! GS1 doing overnight Explorers camp, DG2 rehearsal at church for service next week, and sil taking Scouts to Church Parade. And a lot of the fetching and taking down to DD. No Mother's Day lie in for her. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Mar-16 10:49:39

Well, I was right up/down thread when I said Ds's card would have kittens or puppies on it. Lovely shade of pink with a teeny tiny puppy giving a flower to Mummy dachshund! (It's very sweet)

I know my kids! smile

Indinana Sun 06-Mar-16 10:47:25

How heartbreaking for you grannya. I'm sure she will be thinking of you today flowers.

Today will be more about my DD than me, and I'm perfectly happy about that. This is her first Mothers' Day, a day she thought she would never, in a million years, be enjoying. She will be coming to us for dinner and I have a special gift for her from her little girl, something she will not have been expecting. DS will be here too, without his boys as they are, understandably, with their M today. So it will be almost like the old days, but with the lovely addition of my DGD sitting in her highchair at the dinner table smile

NotTooOld Sun 06-Mar-16 10:43:15

Oh, don't worry about it, Monica. We don't make much of it in our family. I did get my two cards, though, so I'm happy with that.

M0nica Sun 06-Mar-16 10:30:38

Mothers Day has gone par for the course. DD sent a card and token present, which arrived yesterday. DS rang yesterday to apologise, he had bought a card but forgotten to post it. Neither lives near enough for us to get together and DD is working today.

To be fair DS has had a busy week launching a big project at work, which has caught the media eye so he has spent the week being interviewed, written about and broadcast, plus of course helping his children with their presents for his DW. He has his priorities right.

Alea Sat 05-Mar-16 10:03:50

Actually, (fortunately?) I never expect presents -cards, flowers, lunch maybe but with my own birthday round the corner, a present has never been expected. ???
Just as well.

Alea Sat 05-Mar-16 10:01:22

DD1 rang last night to sheepishly admit that while she had had a card for me for the last fortnight, she realised when she posted it yesterday, that she had actually missed the post sad! There you go!
DDs2 and 3 are taking me and the MILS out to lunch tomorrow so no.1 has been excused. Fortunately I was in a relaxed wine frame of mind when she rang.
She loves me really and with 3 little ones of her own and her work as a teacher, I expect she has a notion of a mother's worth grin

annodomini Sat 05-Mar-16 09:55:50

An envelope arrived yesterday addressed in DS1's awful handwriting with an instruction on the back not to open until Sunday. So I have been good and it's still unopened. I've been guessing at a voucher of some kind!

Stansgran Sat 05-Mar-16 09:16:32

Dd2 at uni forgot Mothering Sunday but turned up apologising saying she had brought herself instead. Dd1 won't know as she lives abroad. I've done the mothering bit and I'm not sure I feel bothered but for all the ones who are bereft flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

grannyactivist Fri 04-Mar-16 23:50:44

There's a card for my mum in the post, I've bought an orchid to give to my mother in law who will join us for lunch on Sunday and her card will be bought by my husband. Tomorrow my youngest daughter will be calling in to drop off my two grandsons for an overnight stay and my older son and his wife will be visiting some time in the afternoon. I expect to get a card from my youngest son and know he will choose one for the words and not the picture. My daughter in NZ may, or may not, know it's Mothering Sunday over here, but I expect to talk to her via Skype anyway.
All good, and as was said up thread somewhere I'm feeling blessed. I truly am. But...........I have a daughter, my firstborn, that I have had no direct contact with for many years. I recently found out why she cut herself off and it has absolutely nothing to do with me or our relationship - in fact I understand why she felt she needed to do it, but I do wish she had confided in me so that we could have perhaps found a less drastic way for her to deal with her particular problem. So this year I'm feeling her absence in a new way as Mothering Sunday approaches and I do wonder, just a little bit, if she thinks of me at this time of year as I am thinking of her. I miss her. sad

Judthepud2 Fri 04-Mar-16 23:40:25

Annsixty I feel for you. It must be so hard to cope with your day to day struggle. ((hugs))

My children all like to acknowledge Mother's Day by joining together to get a big bouquet of flowers delivered. When I get them, it gives me a big warm feeling. Lovely to be thought about.

My mother has been dead 20 years but Mother's Day reminds me how much I still miss her. She was a wonderful Mum and a loving Gran.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 04-Mar-16 23:27:57

A few years ago my Mum told my brother that she wanted cards from him and not from my SiL. I'm pretty sure all that changed was my SiL gets him to write the card she chooses instead of her! grin

My Mum will be sunning herself in Lanzarote on Sunday, but I stayed with her before she went and we went shopping together and bought something for Mother's Day. But I didn't get my act together enough to give her a card to take with her to open on the day, so I will send a text and make sure a card is waiting for her when she gets home.

Neversaydie Fri 04-Mar-16 23:16:28

Deeply touched today as beautiful ,simple spring flowers arrived jointly from daughters. And they are making a donation to charity in my name.And a (non Mothers Day) card from one with words that made me cry .She is terribly stressed at present and so have been trying to offer long distance support .It is obviously recognised and appreciated.
To use that awful Face Book phrase. Feeling Blessed

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 04-Mar-16 14:57:20

Sounds great Badenkate.

I will no doubt get one with kittens, puppies, or teddy bears on. Because son is a soppy little bugger hmm grin

Imperfect27 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:39:23

Ha ha Badenkate, sounds like the sort of thing my DS2 would send!

Annsixty as others have said, please do not be so hard on yourself. This is a good place to have a grumble and you are among good friendly company. flowers

For the first time in a very long time - if ever actually - I am not sure that I will see any of my children over the Mothering Sunday weekend. Definitely not DD or DS1. DS2 has a lovely partner who may jog him about it as she will do something for her mum. We usually have them both over to dinner every other Sunday so a visit is due, but I feel a bit hesitant to ask as he made an extra visit for my birthday last week - and will it look as if I am expecting something?! I really am not - it would just be nice to see him, but I don't want to put any pressure on ... Tch!

Elrel Fri 04-Mar-16 13:35:12

Badenkate. Great card. A lot of men expect partners to do cards etc. DD refuses, reminds SiL when he needs to send something to his mother but doesn't do it for him.
DS is unusual I think as he prefers, now, not when younger, to choose cards himself. Last Christmas I saw a ridiculously reduced but ok Fiancée card which I offered to him. Pleased that he thanked me but refused it saying, I like to choose her one with the right words. Must put it in box for charity shop next December.

Badenkate Fri 04-Mar-16 13:02:12

I got a mother's day card in the post today from younger DS ?. Before you say ' how lovely', can I just point out that I know it's because DDiL, who is extremely conscientious in things like this will have sent one to her DM and shamed DS into sending one to me. So was it flowery with expressions of undying gratitude in atrocious rhyme? No, it had a picture on the front of a middle-aged woman in an off-licence, and the man serving her saying 'Would you like something a little cheeky and alcoholic?' Her reply? 'No thanks, I have a son already'. I loved it!! It made me laugh ( and had a message inside which I'm not going to share but was lovely).

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 03-Mar-16 23:40:49

annsixty please try to be kinder to yourself flowers