Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sticky closers

(27 Posts)
wot Mon 07-Mar-16 14:33:50

AIBU to expect the stickiness of the closing tabs of various items, such as bum wipes, makeup remover wipes, baby wipes etc etc to last longer. I am sick of having to throw away quantities of wipes which have become dried out.

grannylyn65 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:35:12

Me too, have to put in poly bag.

NanaandGrampy Mon 07-Mar-16 14:41:16

I only buy the ones with the click shut lid now, no dearer , but last much longer .

wot Mon 07-Mar-16 14:48:32

Yes, I must admit that the Tesco Baby Wipes [which i use for some cleaning] have got an effective snap shut thingy and not expensive but the Lidl toilet wipes in the big box are useless. Why am I getting irritable over these small things nowadays?!

M0nica Mon 07-Mar-16 15:05:39

Becauseyou have no big ones to get irritable over?

wot Mon 07-Mar-16 15:21:35

That is so true! When something serious happens, I will long for the days of my trivial complaints.

grannylyn65 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:34:25

Don't do what I did and use loo cleaning wipes in mistake for baby wipes !! Ouch blush

wot Mon 07-Mar-16 15:36:06

Thanks, Monica; you've helped me get things back in correct perspective. I got irritable originall y today because my main computer was "playing up" We had numerous very short power failures last night. Perhaps the human phyche mind, needs to focus on something to label uneasy feelings on? Or perhaps I'm turning into Mrs Meldrew. Excuse my bad spelling.

wot Mon 07-Mar-16 15:36:50

Ha ha, Grannylyn!

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 16:23:29

You can just add a bit of water to the wipes to 're activate them'.I did that with some stainless steel cleaning ones. grannylyn ouch ouch and ouch again....shock...wot; I think that 'computer playing up' is one of the most irritating things ever...I'm not, in general, a violent person but it makes me want to throw said computer out of an upstairs window in true rock star mode.

wot Mon 07-Mar-16 16:46:46

Thanks for the tip, Tegan; i'll try that.
The abyss might open to reveal who knows what if I don't have trivia to fill the spaces.

ninathenana Mon 07-Mar-16 16:51:32

Has anyone seen makeup removal packs that click shut ? I buy the baby wipes but haven't seen make up removers.

NanaandGrampy Mon 07-Mar-16 16:56:17

Can you use the non fragranced baby wipes for that Nina - I dont know .

Indinana Mon 07-Mar-16 17:22:56

I use baby wipes to remove make-up - after all, if they're designed to be gentle enough for a baby's skin, then they certainly can't harm my old wrinkled face grin

harrigran Mon 07-Mar-16 22:43:11

I use sensitive baby wipes to remove make up, they are a fraction of the cost of ones designed for the job.
If you put the wipes into a polythene bag the plastic goes all sticky and sticks to the wipes bag. I have several of these sticky messes in the bottom of handbags.

ninathenana Mon 07-Mar-16 23:52:04

Indinana grin
True in my case.

rubylady Tue 08-Mar-16 02:24:45

I like your saying wot I will remember that.

I love wipes, I shouldn't I know, not good for the environment, but it does make my life somewhat easier now using them. And I get excited thinking about buying some new ones. I really ought to get out more . . . grin

wot Tue 08-Mar-16 09:03:57

Know exactly what you mean, ruby. Our younger selves would not believe how our lives have shrunk down to enjoying wipes, haha!
My old dad used to say how nice it was, when I was younger, that I still wanted things. I think he knew that it would pall, if that's the right word. Perhaps it's just winter sluggishness!

wot Tue 08-Mar-16 10:56:36

Not that it's got anything to do with sticky closers.

Tegan Tue 08-Mar-16 10:59:36

Everyone was shocked one Christmas when I gave my DD some cleaning wipe as a present. I'd only just discovered them and didn't realise they were widely available everywhere blush. I went round my house cleaning all sort of obscure things for a while.

rubylady Wed 09-Mar-16 00:46:27

I know, it is the small things now that make a difference. There's a joke there somewhere but I can't just find it! grin

All I want tonight is to be out of this pain I am in, stupid body!

Elrel Wed 09-Mar-16 01:34:13

A few years ago I was surprised that even 'flushable' wipes should not be flushed. They add to the fat, tissues, and other unsuitable items which get flushed and cause pipe blockages.
A speaker from Severn Trent explained that the test for 'flushable' uses more powerful flushes than in most homes. Apparently if they pass the rest with only one type of flush the wipes are designated 'flushable'.

Elrel Wed 09-Mar-16 01:36:42

Sorry, rubylady, gentle hugs and ?

Tegan Wed 09-Mar-16 09:50:32

The only thing that should go down the loo [apart from the obvious blush] is loo paper. Even things like kitchen roll do not break down properly. I'm paranoid these days after a few blockages at home, problems at the S.O.'s holiday flat because of people putting wipes down the loo and my daughter had a major problem in her previous home due to flushing baby wipes down the loo. None of us really had any idea of the problem we were creating.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 09-Mar-16 09:54:53

Tegan grin How long before she let you back in the house?