Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are there any statues of women?

(63 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Mar-16 09:44:20

I've just signed a petition to have a statue of a suffragette in Parliament square.https://www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square
There are 11 statues of men there already. But then I thought how many statues of women are there anyway? I can only think of a couple. Is it unreasonable to think we could do with a few more as the woman said in Suffragette "We are half the population"! Let me know of any statues you know of- I'm counting!

trisher Fri 13-May-16 17:02:11

Response from Sadiq Khan to the request
www.change.org/p/westminster-council-put-a-statue-of-a-suffragette-in-parliament-square/responses/34643
I like the fact that he proposes to be a "proud feminist"

Tegan Fri 13-May-16 12:27:55

She was always losing her hand [the statue, that is]. Had a shock the other day when driving past the statue, as the hospital that was behind it has been totally demolished. Goes to show how often I go in to town these days....

Griselda Fri 13-May-16 11:34:50

There is a statue of Florence Nightingale in Derby.

MiriamW541 Tue 10-May-16 00:52:02

There is a statue of Flora Macdonald in Inverness.
In Glasgow there are three statues of women that I know of, Queen Victoria, Isabella Elder (Philanthropist), and Dolores Ibarruri (Civil War Heroine).

LullyDully Mon 09-May-16 18:21:27

If you Google how many statues of Queen Victoria in the country, she probably out numbers all those male statues out and about!grin

trisher Mon 09-May-16 15:36:46

We've got 2. One in front of the RVI- young VIc, one next to the cathedral-old Vic.
Anyone got 3?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 15:34:24

That 'orse has got a live ticker feed from the London stock exchange! I didn't know that.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 15:31:02

shock !!!

We've got a Queen Victoria. Couldn't get rid of the old girl!

LullyDully Mon 09-May-16 15:20:36

Elder.....mortified to hear about the Floozie in the Jacuzzi being filled with flowers.!!!! Left Brum a few years ago. Used to be a joy to take my class there to see all the clever, varied ways water moved in the fountain.

A joy on a hot day. Also loved the iron maiden by Anthony Gormly. Rusty but so beautifully shaped.

gillybob Mon 09-May-16 14:40:30

We have a beautiful Edwardian Town Hall (built between 1905-1910) complete with 145ft chiming clock tower. It is very popular for weddings. Unfortunately there is a huge, ugly statue of Queen Victoria plunked right in the middle of it , with 2 nude lady fountains on either side. If someone would start a petition to have "it" removed I would be the first to sign up. Its hideous.

trisher Mon 09-May-16 14:40:14

Mmm. I suppose it might be different if you see it in the flesh reality. But can't say I'm impressed.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 14:08:25

This one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 14:05:12

I think the blue cockerel has now been replaced with a statue of a very hungry horse. hmm

trisher Mon 09-May-16 13:59:53

For all those who supported a suffragette statue- letter sent to Sadiq Khan-reported in the Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/emma-watson-is-calling-on-sadiq-khan-to-put-a-suffragette-outsid/

Granny23 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:16:18

Go to any art gallery and there you will see more statues/ sculptures of women than of men. Anonymous and mainly nude, their creators get the honour for their beauty. Is this a reflection of women's status in society?

Another thought - is there still a place for civic statuary in today's world when we all have access to photographic and film images of the great and good. I would not consider it an honour to have a statue of me in a public place, covered in bird poo, my glasses knocked off and a traffic cone on my head.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Apr-16 21:58:25

Edith Cavell has a memorial in Norwich - but only head and shoulders.

I'd like to see a statue of a group of ordinary women representing all the suffragists.

Elrel Fri 08-Apr-16 21:28:17

Eleanor Rigby in Liverpool, a controversial Mother and Child on a London estate In the 1960s.

Tobyjugg Tue 05-Apr-16 00:13:49

In London, Margaret Macdonald is in Lincolns Inn Fields, Florence Nightingale is in Waterloo Place, Edith Cavell is in St Martins Place and Queen Anne is outside St Pauls

Juliette Tue 15-Mar-16 16:18:44

This is a sculpture more than a statue in a park close to me.
Placed there to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War., it shows a VAD in uniform. Vera Brittain was born very close by which makes it even more poignant, Shirley Williams came to give it her blessing

sarandig Tue 15-Mar-16 12:21:17

You may be interested in this 2012 women's Living Statue' event in Edinburgh.
Perhaps you might wish to follow this example.

edinburgheye.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/2012-living-statues/

Elrel Tue 15-Mar-16 00:58:38

I meant to say that the Birmingham 'Floozie' is actually Sabrina, the nymph of the River Severn.

Elrel Tue 15-Mar-16 00:56:29

Birmingham also had a Floozie in Jacuzzi but her fountain has been filled in and planted up by the parks department because of cuts. She has now been dubbed the Flirt in the Dirt.
There's a lovely little ballerina near Drury Lane and, again in Birmingham, a young girl wearing a boater near Staff House on the University campus.

Now I'm going off the subject:
Today I noticed Captain Flinders and his cat Trim on the concourse at Euston between platforms 8 and 9.
I am sad that the mallard will not be included on the statue of Sir Nigel Gresley at Kings Cross.

pompa Mon 14-Mar-16 23:43:33

There are several statues of Lady Godiva and Boudica.
There is a statue of Grace Darling and of course Queen Victoria among many others

Judthepud2 Mon 14-Mar-16 23:34:47

Trisher yes I remember the statue of Annalivia, the spirit of the Liffey. It used to be in O'Connell Street but is no longer there. Dubliners also called her 'The Floozie in the Jacuzzi' ?

POGS Mon 14-Mar-16 17:37:52

Um George Elliot!