Gransnet forums

AIBU

Blooming scatter cushions

(87 Posts)
NanKate Mon 14-Mar-16 23:21:05

We are house sitting for relatives and on going into our designated bedroom we find scatter cushions on the bed hmm. This really irritates me. What are we supposed to do with them? I have got them stacked up on the sofa.

Can someone please explain the point of these great cushions which seem to have infiltrated lots of hotels too. I hate them.

Witzend Sat 02-Apr-16 15:25:34

I can't see the point of several small ones cluttering up a bed - so often on the hard side and in shiny/sparkly material so no use at all for comfort. If you want to lie on the bed to watch TV you need big fat soft and squashy ones.
It does irritate me in hotels, when you have to chuck sundry cushions and a throw thingy on the floor, or find a chair to put them on. Only to find them all carefully arranged on the bed again later. One day I will actually ask them very nicely to take the *** things away and not bring them back till I'm gone.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 31-Mar-16 22:47:25

pompa I think I would win the award for Slattern of the Year on GN. I don't care about bacteria and other wotnots nearly as much as a lot of other GNetters. grin

Penstemmon Thu 31-Mar-16 22:42:09

Lordy..what alot of hot air over CUSHIONS!!
What bacteria..what are the statistics that I have missed re illness/death by scatter cushion????

DH & I have a cushion each on our bed in addition to 2 x rectangular pillows and 1 x square pillow. We use the cushion as extra support behind the head when reading in bed. We then put it on the floor (clean!!) by the side of the bed when we put the light out. In the morning they go back on the bed. It really is not a major problem!

pompa Wed 30-Mar-16 19:44:35

WE seem to be obsessed with bacteria on a couple of threads, how did us oldies survive childhood.?

FarNorth Wed 30-Mar-16 19:13:05

No, it's huge nests of bacteria!!

henetha Wed 30-Mar-16 12:52:20

Relax. It's just cushions.

JackyB Wed 30-Mar-16 10:39:46

Those cushions on the bed really are annoying and, to my mind, extremely unhygenic, especially in hotels. I couldn't bear the thought of sleeping directly on one or even cuddling it.

Auntieflo Wed 30-Mar-16 09:48:06

How about when you discover that you are carrying around your own cushions? Some time ago, (well quite a long time actually) when I thought I was reasonably slim hmm I sat down to read and thought that I had sat on something! When I delved down the side of the chair, guess what? it was me blush and not anything else.

pompa Wed 30-Mar-16 09:42:53

I dislike scatter cushions per se. Perhaps being large, I find chairs etc, perfectly comfortable without them.

Gagagran Wed 30-Mar-16 09:20:33

Just to lighten the debate and seeing the talk about basins brought to mind a joke.

Q: What's the difference between a bison and a buffalo?

A You can wash your hands in a bison.

(Sorry folks!) grin

Jaxie Wed 30-Mar-16 08:35:21

Kittylester: I'm always spoiling for a fight in my old age as I find most people deadly boring. Unlike Gransnetters, they seem afraid of talking about anything that matters, or expressing their true feelings. I'm a blunt northerner; I find myself baiting bores just to get a response. What an evil bit-h I am!

kittylester Thu 24-Mar-16 19:12:40

jaxie, ok, if you are spoiling for a fight!!grin

My bedroom has plain white bedding with cushions, a throw, that the cat sits on, a cotton strip which coordinates with the curtains in 100% cotton and the aforementioned cuddlies ( not my fault!). It also has a shower and a hand basin!

Jaxie Thu 24-Mar-16 16:49:16

I was hoping to provoke a reply with my pontificatory post about taste in bedroom furnishings....

Marmight Wed 16-Mar-16 11:12:31

I loathe them in hotel rooms. I really don't want to put my head or any part of my person on a pillow which has had an unwashed cushion lying on it, (after all who knows what has been on it before!) however attractive it may make the room look. I just chuck them in a corner, or stuff them in the wardrobe and use an extra pillow or two to prop me up. Cushions belong on sofas and chairs.
I was always taught that a sink is in the kitchen or laundry and the one in the bathroom or loo is a basin confused

Alima Wed 16-Mar-16 10:06:14

We seem to have sofa cushions just so the cats have somewhere comfy to sleep.
"Scatter cushions". The answer is in the name. You scatter them.

Jalima Wed 16-Mar-16 10:02:48

when I had young children. I longed to lie down on a comfy bed, whatever accoutrements it might have on it.

When I was a child and didn't want to go to bed, DM used to say 'you'll be glad to go to bed one day' - I didn't realise how right she was!

Tegan Wed 16-Mar-16 09:32:52

The holiday rental that we're doing up has one bedroom that seemed a bit cold looking so I've ordered a couple of cushions in a warmer colour purely to add warmth to the photos; other than that I find cushions that are just there to look good just a nuisance [ditto cushions on sofas].

Jaxie Wed 16-Mar-16 09:02:34

Cushions & strips of cloth in vile synthetic magenta taffeta on hotel beds are not my idea of decor, & similar in private houses, UGH. Give me a bed clothed in light-coloured plain, striped or checked COTTON from Cologne and Cotton without added cushions, add more matching pillows if you will. This habit of copying hotel decor as a sign of good taste strikes me as the expression of someone with no idea of the grammar of decoration.

phizz Tue 15-Mar-16 22:08:41

'Sink' in the kitchen, 'Wash hand basin' in the loo or bathroom.

I pile matching pillows on top of the bedspread with another cushion in a different cover, They come in handy if you're feeling below par now and then and just want to loll for a while.

I also have a coloured strip at the bottom of the bed but that's for the moggy to sleep on. Keeps it's hairs off the nice velvet bedspread.

I wouldn't like a plain, unadorned bedroom. If you can't have a bit of luxury in your own room where else would you have it?

SJP Tue 15-Mar-16 20:19:52

I use mine when reading in bed and one I cuddle when going off to sleep lovely jubbly

moobox Tue 15-Mar-16 18:53:33

I have been in the "throw them on the floor camp" for years, but recently found a use, as I sit up in bed as soon as I wake, and read 2 chapters of my book. The pillows go behind my back and I reach down for the cushion and it supports my head.

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-16 18:29:15

How luxurious to have the leisure time to witter on about these things! I remember not having the brainpower to even think of anything frivolous, when I had young children.
I longed to lie down on a comfy bed, whatever accoutrements it might have on it. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Mar-16 18:23:06

Yes, well, we all have basins in the bathroom. It's just that it doesn't matter if you call it a sink. Because. at the end of the day, and when all's said and done, and any other little sayings you can think of, that's what it is. A sink. Or a basin. Choose.

hmm

grannyactivist Tue 15-Mar-16 17:47:58

I have two green cushions on my white bed cover for a bit of colour and to prop me up when I'm ill in bed. At night they get shoved to one side.
I have sinks in the kitchen and utility room and basins in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Jalima Tue 15-Mar-16 17:29:30

Kitchen sink though - which DH thinks I put into my handbag when we go out.