Gransnet forums

AIBU

Having to traipse through garden centres pushing trollies of plants

(68 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 23:30:10

AIBU to complain about having to push a trolley full of shrubs and plants through the whole indoor garden centre before I can reach the tills to pay.Today we visited a very large garden centre ( DH insists we go there as he likes the orange and carrot cake they do with his coffee) we had to then take ages as it was busy, trying to get the unwieldy trolley past people who were stopping to sniff candles etc or choose books and goods all the long winding way to the till. Could there not be tills for customers who are just buying plants and sited nearer to the actual plant part of the shop. grrrrrrr.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:58:16

Off to a nearby GC today yet again on the hunt for a viburnham called Spirit
We have an Eve Price but that is now 12 feet high! Anyone out there bought a Spirit?
Also fancy a new pot for daffodils by the door.smile

Teetime Tue 22-Mar-16 09:59:25

Have a look on your local site - there are some lovely smaller nurseries on the Leicestershire site (how did I know that). smile

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 10:03:41

Thanks Teetime but I am only in that area once or twice a year.Nice part of the world though.smile and I love love love Gates!

Teetime Tue 22-Mar-16 10:49:00

Fabulous loos at Gates - love a nice loo!

Badenkate Tue 22-Mar-16 12:54:20

We have a garden centre on the Welsh/Cheshire border at Holt that has gone down the 'lots of non-garden things to buy' route, but it does also have a very good farm shop and also a restaurant/cafe that uses local produce to make very nice food ?

Badenkate Tue 22-Mar-16 12:55:12

It's also quite compact so no long-distance trolley pushing!

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 13:38:26

Back home again now and found a Viburnum Tinis Spirit easily at the local gearden centre,so it must be popular. Also a pretty blue ceramic pot for the daffs ( to replace the one that him indoors left out all Winter and was NOT frost proof.)

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 13:39:24

IPad typo strikes again, garden not gearden ( though they do have a lot of gear.)

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 13:40:20

Teetime yes, the fab loos there and those lovely flower basins!

Jalima Tue 22-Mar-16 16:20:16

Meant to say - even better is Trago Mills at Newton Abbot
grump grump grump don't live near there any more

Is that allowed smile

We do use nurseries sometimes for plants but often go for lunch and a wander at a few local garden centres (well, one is local, the others further away).

But I know what you mean roses. However, at our local one, although we have to go through to pay at the till, most of the other stuff (candles, books, etc) is on the far side with the till in the middle. We do have to walk through the garden furniture, bbqs etc, so we have have a sit down and feel envy
The staff are very friendly and helpful (in the main) and the owner always stops for a chat if he sees us and he and DH have a bit of repartee. It's not part of a chain (yet) thank goodness.

Jalima Tue 22-Mar-16 16:35:43

Yes, I meant to say, they probably apply psychology in the layout of these places - like supermarkets.

We like going to a garden centre because a lot of them do nice lunches and, instead of just going to a cafe or pub for lunch, you can also have a wander round. If they don't they often have a coffee shop with cupcake.
DGD2 comes with us sometimes and we have lunch there. There is also a (separate) aquatic centre and she loves to go and see the fish (trying to find Nemo) and tortoises, dragons and snakes!
I do miss that when I go to Australia, they have good nurseries (and of course, the plants are all different and interesting) but they don't do lunches, occasionally one may have a coffee shop and they don't open on Sundays where we are.

It's OK to say you enjoy going to somewhere for all kinds of reasons but that you're not that happy about one aspect of it, isn't it? Or is that not allowed?

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 18:15:14

sunshine

alchemilla Tue 31-May-16 18:57:59

If you can, order online. Takes a bit of preplanning - eg working out what you need the previous year and then ordering when it's time to. Including growing seeds when you can. Saves loads of ££££s. Most garden centres round here have no one capable of advising on plants so you end up buying an azalea to plant on chalk ... but be warned if you order plug plants on line you will get tiny chaps who need a lot of care.

Ceesnan Tue 31-May-16 19:27:42

Nellie is the garden centre Bridgemere? I used to love going there, but now don't bother as the quality and variety of the plants deteriorated when it was taken over IMO. It annoyed me too, when they started charging to walk around the garden!

granjura Tue 31-May-16 21:47:17

This 'supermarket' marketing psychology drives me nuts and makes me quite rebellious (moi ? ;) )...In Leicester the new Rackams forced customers do go on a certain route that just could not be by-passed - it was never a success possibly because many of us felt that way and just didn't go again.

Same all over though- not just UK. I went to a Garden Centre in France today- the plants, etc are excellent, good advice too, but the trees and outdoor stuff are right at the back- and you just have to go through indoor plants, pets, fertilisers and BBQs, parasols and the like, and then through plant greenhouse - to the outdoor bit and back again thorugh the greenhouse and then to decor, etc, in a clear circuit! Same in the larger gardening centres in Switzerland and Germany!

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jun-16 10:36:43

Ceesnan The very same Bridgemere. I agree entirely about the lack of range and quality of plants. It nearly broke my heart when I first went there after the take over by Wyevale.

They have trashed the range of alpines in particular.
They now seem to sell more patio pots than plants.
They were not charging for the garden walk when I went last year.

M0nica Wed 01-Jun-16 15:04:11

I do not revisit any garden centre that makes me go round it on a pre-arranged route. There is one local garden centre I no longer visit for just that reason.

In fact I abandoned my trolley and walked back the way I came in, in a Wyvale Nursery recently when I saw small plastic pots containing a scatter of sprouting carrot seeds on sale at nearly £5 a pot. Frankly that is taking the p**s.