Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not cut up my toothpaste tube to get the last bits out?

(96 Posts)
Heirofthedog Fri 01-Apr-16 14:22:02

My DH is going through a super frugal moment. Not that he needs to particularly, we're not very wealthy but not scraping pennies either.
He keeps on sending me tips on how we can economise and has now suggested I cut open my toothpaste and toiletries to eke out the last drops. I think life is too short? Does anybody really do this? Is there so much lurking in the bottom of tubes to make it worth the hassle? hmm

rubysong Fri 01-Apr-16 20:24:54

When I have cut open tomato puree tubes I flatten and clean the thin metal with a view to using it one day to make Christmas decorations. I wonder if that day will ever come!

numberplease Fri 01-Apr-16 21:34:13

The only thing I do is rinsing out washing up liquid containers, I can usually get 2 more washing up sessions that way.

JackyB Fri 01-Apr-16 21:51:36

I cut the ends off of plastic tubes and sometimes even bottles. The old kind of metal tubes were far more thrifty because you could squeeze them dry (or use one of those keys described above). There definitely is a few days' use left in them. If chopping them up, rolling or squeezing makes the bathroom look untidy, you can run the back of a comb along from the bottom towards the opening to salvage the last bits.

And washing up liquid, shampoo, bubble bath and shower gel are helped out of the bottle by adding water.

I'm not miserly, but it seems common sense to me.

Leonora47 Fri 01-Apr-16 22:59:57

My friend, who is a pharmacist, advised me to open up my cosmetic tubes. Apparently, whilst she was in training, it was explained that manufacturers actually design tubes to 'hold back' part of the product to encourage the purchaser to chuck the tube away, and buy a new one.

Nelliemoser Fri 01-Apr-16 23:58:56

Sods law says that if I tried whirling the toothpaste tube around the lid would fly off. I do turn the brown sauce bottle upside down and bang it on the table to get the last dregs of the sauce out.

inishowen Sat 02-Apr-16 09:19:09

My frugal habit is that I buy handknitted garments from charity shops, undo them, and reknit them into something for the grandchildren. I don't know why I do this as I can afford new yarn! I think I inherited the habit from my gran. Mum wouldn't have used second hand wool.

Liz08 Sat 02-Apr-16 09:42:43

I've just been doing my thrifty thing with my dishwasher. If I'm in the kitchen when the cycle ends and starts the drying phase, I turn it off (that usually starts the draining) and use my tea towel to dab the water off the tops of all the beakers and other flat things which, annoyingly, never completely dry anyway. Then I leave the door open a few inches with the tea towel draped over it. This allows the towel to dry and to show DH that all inside are clean and not to put anything dirty in. This works a treat and I get a mini steam facial at the same time smile
I also do all the hand cream/toothpaste tube things described above - it only takes a minute with my scissors and gives me great satisfaction that I'm not wasting anything (waste not want not as my granny taught me...).

Teetime Sat 02-Apr-16 09:45:13

I never use the last bits of anything shock cant bear all that scraping and squeezing - its probably 00001.p's worth of saving.

dirgni Sat 02-Apr-16 09:59:00

I just stand all the nearly empty containers on their tops, its amazing how much more you can coax out! For things like shampoo,washing up liquid,cleaning products etc I fill with a drop of water and shake !!!!!

Nannanoo Sat 02-Apr-16 10:02:03

I've never thought of myself as particularly thrifty, but I do rinse out dishwasing liquid bottles and snip open tubes of moisturiser and hand cream. As several people have mentioned, the amount that gets stuck in the tube is phenomenal - as much as 1/3 of the contents, and enough to last a week or more. I have even kept small cosmetic containers (the holiday packing sort) to scrape these leftovers into, making the whole process less messy! I reckon the savings must be more than a few miserly pence, and besides I don't like wasting stuff!

PPP Sat 02-Apr-16 10:02:15

I'm with Teetime on this one. Life's too short.

Why don't you have a tube of toothpaste each? He can be frugal with his and you can be decadent and perhaps give him your dregs?!

thatbags Sat 02-Apr-16 10:16:26

The short answer to the title question is no, it's not unreasonable not to do it.

But it's not unreasonable to do it either.

Shrug moment. Wotevs. Tolerance. etc....

Buddie Sat 02-Apr-16 10:20:21

I cut plastic tubes in half and get up to a month of extra use out of a product and I rinse containers, too. I don't see this so much as being frugal, although with expensive face creams and so on this is quite a saving, as much as not wasting resources. The containers can still be recycled if appropriate. It may not save much in monetary value but environmental costs should be considered, too.

Maggie725 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:25:58

I will try cutting open handcream 'tubes' to get the last out of them.
I knew a lady once who used teabags 10 times....

Maggie725 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:25:59

libertylola Sat 02-Apr-16 10:28:36

I have used one teabag for two cups of tea seems a waste not to.

libertylola Sat 02-Apr-16 10:29:20

I have used one teabag for two cups of tea, seems a waste not to.

Stansgran Sat 02-Apr-16 10:31:31

You can get a whole mug of tea out of one tea bag therefore those people who use one tea bag for a mere teacup should be shut in the stocks and have wet tea bags thrown at the just glaring at dd2 . Use a tea pot ,take the tea bag out when the tea is ready and share a cuppa. I use good tea not floor sweepings and yes I've been round tea factories in India.