Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not cut up my toothpaste tube to get the last bits out?

(96 Posts)
Heirofthedog Fri 01-Apr-16 14:22:02

My DH is going through a super frugal moment. Not that he needs to particularly, we're not very wealthy but not scraping pennies either.
He keeps on sending me tips on how we can economise and has now suggested I cut open my toothpaste and toiletries to eke out the last drops. I think life is too short? Does anybody really do this? Is there so much lurking in the bottom of tubes to make it worth the hassle? hmm

lexigran Sat 02-Apr-16 18:25:43

MamaCaz , I'm glad I'm not the only one who get's things out of the bin when DH has chucked them !
I also cut the bottom off hand cream tubes, there's loads left inside.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 03-Apr-16 00:31:18

I cut the toothpaste tube, because I keep forgetting to buy new and they do not sell it at aldi so I need to remember when I go to morrisons. and i forgot the last four times. hence cutting off the end of the toothpaste tube and eeking it out.

Izabella Sun 03-Apr-16 08:41:52

We also compost religiously and I have organised a communal holding area for uncooked kitchen waste where we live which is then added to the main compost heap. We get oodles of lovely compost for the veg patch. The thing that amazes me is the amount of perfectly good food that people throw out. We have also started collecting leaves in Autumn to make leaf mound and then hopefully our own potting compost. We collect all rainwater on the allotment and have 3x1000L storage tanks. The bus pass is taken as a perk by many people, but for me it is the only way of getting around. No one has mentioned shopping in charity shops for clothes. Does anyone? I am sure there are many on here who may scoff at my lifestyle, particularly since having switched off the heating. We have not had a single cough or cold since though. I look at it like this, if you ain't got it you can't spend it. Period. Being frugal should not be interpreted as being mean, for some of us there is little choice.

Victoria08 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:18:34

Just cut the tube of expensive face serum in half and find a good two more applications in it.

Just about to throw it away too. It's well worth doing.

TwiceAsNice Sun 03-Apr-16 12:10:43

I don't do it with toothpaste but do it with my tube of foundation because it is expensive and I've found I can get around another 2 weeks worth out of it. I put my makeup on in front of the mirror in the downstairs loo and keep the tube on the window still out of the way

TwiceAsNice Sun 03-Apr-16 12:23:05

Sill not still

Pamish Sun 03-Apr-16 15:33:29

I cut open tubes (a) to get the last bit out, and (b) so I can wash them up properly before putting in the recycling. Don't you?

charliebb Sun 03-Apr-16 16:05:30

Only thing I do it with is hand wash. I keep a spare empty bottle and tip the dregs into it. With handwash bottles in four places in the house the empty bottle soon fills. Without doing this it would be like throwing a whole bottle of product away every few months!

Blinko Sun 03-Apr-16 16:44:42

Ooh, I just love GN. It seems I'm not the only one (by a long shot!) to cut the end off foundation, handcream and other cosmetic/beauty items. I hate to waste anything. I've picked up one or two more useful tips on this thread. Thanks so much, everyone.

Grannygru Sun 03-Apr-16 20:37:37

'Waste not want not', as the writing on my brother's plate said! Mine was 'Make hay while the sun shines'. We are the product of the thrifty post war years, Baby Boomers, - yes but not the wasteful children I see following us!

Blodwen1910 Sun 03-Apr-16 20:38:32

I yearn for the days when a toothpaste tube was metal and could be squashed from the bottom with a special "tube curler", The pesky plastic tube uncurls whatever way I squash it.

ellenemery Mon 04-Apr-16 18:17:05

I also squeeze enough toothpaste from the tube for nearly a weeks use when grandson has put it out as finished. I use the ends of bottles of sunscreen as moisturiser during the winter months. I use empty bread bags as disposable nappy wrappers. Old tights can be used as garden ties for holding plants to garden canes. May only save a few pounds a year but it all helps.

lionpops Wed 06-Apr-16 17:53:03

I always cut the toothpaste tubes and moisture cream tubes.There is so much left in them. Waste not want not.

annodomini Wed 06-Apr-16 19:01:01

There are some things for which life is just too short and cutting open tubes is one of them. What annoys me, however, is the kind of pump dispenser of foundation which always seems to have some left at the bottom that can't be reached by the end of the tube.

granjura Wed 06-Apr-16 21:16:47

which is why I never buy pump containers - as well as all the extra plastic waste

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 21:45:26

With moisturiser/handcream in tubes I do cut it off and With plastic tubes, I cut them in the middle and insert bottom end into top end to keep it sealed like granjura. It's too expensive to waste.

Some of these products are viscous, so if you give them a good shake or use phoenix's method (ie force is applied to the fluid) they will become more runny and you can extract more from the tube or bottle.

annodomini Wed 06-Apr-16 22:30:15

Most of the pump containers I have bought have been glass rather than plastic. Anyway, here plastic containers are recyclable.

Neversaydie Wed 06-Apr-16 22:53:48

The gadget phoenixmentions is one of the most useful things I've ever bought I works fine on toothpaste . I use the pump action ones but DH wont ! It's amazing how much is left in some tubes I used to use a rolling pin ...

Neversaydie Wed 06-Apr-16 23:01:09

Pump action for things like foundation is actually more hygenic as you don't put your fingers in it .But I do take the pump out to get the last dregs ..

Alea Wed 06-Apr-16 23:12:19

I find pump dispensers such as my Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish much more economical than the equivalent size tube as I get a measured "squirt" (2) for each use. So actually producing less waste. I also don't see how a pump bottle is any less environmentally friendly than a plastic bottle/tube or glass bottle as all are recyclable in our current system.
The reasons why people have become more economical are interesting. My mum would have thought it just "common sense" just as she carried her shopping in a "shopping bag", reused cinders/ash from the coal fire to keep the front path from freezing in the winter, made firelighters from twisted plaits of newspaper and pressed ends of soap together from the bathroom to make an unattractive beigey/grey "soap" for the kitchen.
Now it's called saving the planet. hmm