Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I alone in finding it creepy...

(34 Posts)
grandMattie Thu 07-Apr-16 15:01:43

Am I alone in finding Aled Jones' new CD creepy? He sings with his young, soprano self. He had a fantastic pure high voice as a youngster when he was a chorister and so on, his adult tenor voice is pleasant enough, but the two together? Not sure at all

NotTooOld Thu 07-Apr-16 15:24:42

OOh-er. That does sound creepy, grandMattie. Didn't Nancy Sinatra do something similar with Frank's voice? And, more recently, Harry Belafonte? Sounds weird to me, especially singing with your younger self. Reminds me of those Victorian family photos where one member of the group was actually dead - a propped up corpse. shock

Teetime Thu 07-Apr-16 15:31:12

I quite like it but a whole CD would be too much- have heard some pieces on Classic FM which were lovely.

PRINTMISS Thu 07-Apr-16 16:01:27

I think it is just a pleasant CD to listen to, I don't think it was ever meant to break any records (no pun!), but a nice idea to combine the two different voices of one individual.

f77ms Thu 07-Apr-16 16:04:38

NoToOld , those pictures were called momento mori . They fascinate me but I am possibly a bit weird !

ninathenana Thu 07-Apr-16 16:04:59

Sorry grandMattie I don't agree.

Indinana Thu 07-Apr-16 16:08:22

I don't find it in the least creepy. Recordings were made of his younger voice - they're out there and we can listen to them anytime we like. We don't consider listening to them creepy now that his voice has changed, so why should we think it creepy to combine them? I think it's quite a good idea and and makes a rather nice recording.

Anniebach Thu 07-Apr-16 16:20:13

I find nothing creepy in this, it isn't an adult singing with a dead child

merlotgran Thu 07-Apr-16 16:20:42

I don't find it creepy but a little of Aled Jones goes a very long way.

Marmight Thu 07-Apr-16 16:45:36

grin merlot
I don't find it creepy either - lovely in fact, but only in small doses. I heard him say he looks upon his younger self in a fatherly/avuncular way after so long. I think it's rather sweet - and a great way to fill the coffers too wink

Marmight Thu 07-Apr-16 16:47:26

....they're really pushing it on CFM

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Apr-16 16:56:01

I don't find it creepy. He/they do rather murder my favourite song though.link to it here

Luckygirl Thu 07-Apr-16 17:56:19

I do not find it creepy - I guess it is a good commercial gambit and will probably make lots of money. But, as someone above has said, he had a lovely voice as a child, but his adult voice is barely mediocre.

NotTooOld Thu 07-Apr-16 19:40:39

f77 - is that what they are? Really horrible, then. The Victorians had some VERY weird ideas.

shysal Thu 07-Apr-16 19:58:11

I loved that link, Jingl. The song always makes me cry. His soprano voice is stunning! I don't find it creepy at all.

durhamjen Fri 08-Apr-16 01:26:20

I think it's beautiful, a lovely idea.

Lona Fri 08-Apr-16 09:30:27

Just heard some of it on the Weight Stuff, I think it's beautiful.

f77ms Fri 08-Apr-16 09:40:16

NotTooOld Look it up on google , I think because photography was so expensive and out of the reach of most people , it was perhaps the only way of having a momento of the person who had died . It was mainly children who were photographed and they had all sorts of contraptions to make them look as if they were still alive . Fascinating !

Lona Fri 08-Apr-16 09:43:12

Haha! Should have been "Wright" not Weight!!! grin

Anniebach Fri 08-Apr-16 09:44:36

I like it

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Apr-16 09:45:40

He sings it a little bit slow.

I must confess I prefer to hear a woman's voice singing Danny Boy.

Juggernaut Fri 08-Apr-16 10:49:30

He slaughters Danny Boy, which I think should only ever be sung by someone with an Irish accent!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Apr-16 10:55:05

Good point.

henetha Fri 08-Apr-16 11:10:56

I clicked on the link (thanks jinglebellssfrocks) and thought it was lovely.
I'm a fan of Aled, not just his singing, as to me he comes over as a nice person wihout any pretentiousness.
But I do take Juggernaut's point that Danny Boy really is better with an Irish
accent.

NotTooOld Fri 08-Apr-16 11:55:29

f77 - just spent a scary half hour looking at the death pics. How awful - those poor children made to pose with dead siblings and the like.