Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's in a name?

(77 Posts)
Megram Wed 13-Apr-16 10:51:22

Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike being called "love" or "doll" by shop assistants or people who come to the house to carry out jobs? I find it even worse when the person is younger than me! Funnily enough, the Geordie term "pet" doesn't bother me. I'm not overly keen on being called by my first name either by medical staff, etc.
Am I being old fashioned?! grin

Megram Tue 19-Apr-16 13:02:05

Thank you morethan2.

morethan2 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:56:28

Please know I'm thinking of you and your Dad Megram

Megram Mon 18-Apr-16 19:01:08

Thank you harrigran.

harrigran Mon 18-Apr-16 09:33:01

Megram flowers

Megram Mon 18-Apr-16 08:37:31

I take it back! On Thursday, we were told that my 85 year old Dad had probably no more that 24 hours to live. As we sat by his bed, I listened to how everyone who came into his room spoke to him. They used many of the terms that have been listed on this thread, but were said with care and concern for a dying old man. I have no doubt that he felt nothing but comfort. So, I will humbly eat my words!
As we speak, Dad's condition has stabilised and he is still with us. I feel we are on a bit of a roller coaster ride.

Bellasnana Sun 17-Apr-16 07:38:07

sluttygran grin ??

BBbevan Sun 17-Apr-16 06:35:24

My Dad used to call my sister and me his little slap cabbages. Never heard that since.

Babyboomer Sat 16-Apr-16 12:57:47

I agree with jennyvg that I don't like being called madam. Nobody should have to grovel to me or anyone else, whatever their job. When I left school I promised myself that I would never call anyone sir or madam ever again.

sherish Sat 16-Apr-16 08:37:09

I don't object to Love but wouldn't like Doll. In fact it doesn't usually bother me. The only thing I don't 'get' is being call Guys. I have been know to say to the person 'The last time I looked I certainly wasn't a guy'.

KatyK Fri 15-Apr-16 18:39:12

we didn't want new windows not no windows blush

pompa Fri 15-Apr-16 16:38:21

Or "Late for lunch"

KatyK Fri 15-Apr-16 16:15:03

I'm 66 and when I told a young double glazing salesman who came to our door that we didn't want no windows, he replied 'No worries babes' . I was rather pleased!
smile My mother used to say 'you can call me what you like as long as you don't call me too early in the morning'.

Blinko Fri 15-Apr-16 12:23:07

My mother used to call me either Katy Floppit or Madam Zenobia..... Neither bears any relation to my given name.

Witzend Fri 15-Apr-16 08:39:47

I don't mind 'love' or 'duck' or similar. However I hate 'guys' or 'you guys' - usually said by over-perky young staff in a certain type of restaurant.

My elderly mother really disliked anyone she didn't know using her first name without asking - she didn't much like her first name anyway. And we both loathed the habit of a lot of so called professionals of referring to her as 'Mum', over her head. Not even 'your mum' or 'your mother' let alone Mrs X. Why do they do it? Have they been told it sounds more 'friendly' ' or something? To me it is just patronising and disrespectful.
We never even called my mother 'Mum' - I know this is unusual though.

harrigran Thu 14-Apr-16 22:57:22

Daisyanswerdo, funny you should say that but yes they do say 'somethink' and when it comes to the weekend they say 'sarradur' as in ' see you on Saturday' angry

jennyvg Thu 14-Apr-16 22:23:04

I hate being called madam, but otherwise I don't mind how people address me.

Galen Thu 14-Apr-16 20:36:44

On princess cruises the waiters call me by my first name! I hate my full name and use the diminutive. On Cunard it's Doctor or Ma'am.
Me a snob?

vickymeldrew Thu 14-Apr-16 20:28:31

Lots of comments here objecting to their first name being used. However, this is the norm nowadays and if I'm referred to as Mrs ... when all around me are on first name terms, it makes me feel as old as the hills!

Blinko Thu 14-Apr-16 19:26:17

I seem to recall from somewhere that Prince Phil calls HM 'Sausage'. In private.... so the term has good pedigree grin

GrammaH Thu 14-Apr-16 17:16:24

When I was a child, my dad always called me "dear" (still does!) I used to say I didn't realise it wasn't actually my name until well into my teens!

Daisyanswerdo Thu 14-Apr-16 16:23:15

harrigran, do the people who say 'thang' instead of 'thank' balance it by saying 'somethink' instead of 'something'?

Sheilasue Thu 14-Apr-16 16:01:08

Hate love,babe all those silly names.also hate have a nice day from shop assiste nice too American.

Caretaker Thu 14-Apr-16 15:51:51

Well if they don't know your name I guess they are trying to be polite. The gas man called me petal yesterday.

sluttygran Thu 14-Apr-16 15:02:55

I like to be addressed as 'Your Majesty' on first meeting, then as 'Ma'am' thereafter. grin

marionk Thu 14-Apr-16 13:26:48

I hate Hun, babe and sweetie!