Gransnet forums

AIBU

Going topless in the street

(82 Posts)
MrsNutella Mon 16-May-16 13:10:10

Yesterday was a lovely day so we went for a stroll locally. While we were walking we were passed by a jogger, a man, probably 40s or 50s. He was wearing trainers and full length jogging bottoms - and nothing else. AIBU to think that this is wrong? He was running/jogging down a main road in a residential area and it wasn't that hot. What's wrong with a vest or running top or t shirt? On a beach, no issue of course, but this was the high street and it was hardly sweltering. It just looked odd and not right

FarNorth Tue 17-May-16 08:18:25

I've not seen any lately Marmark1.
I wouldn't mind the feeling of freedom of going topless but can't see me trying it in the high street.

Alima Tue 17-May-16 08:26:33

We must live in a posh area. In nearly 30 years here we have not seen a woman baring her boobies in this locale. Static or jogging. Thank heavens.

BBbevan Tue 17-May-16 08:32:55

Men topless - White, pasty and flabby usually. I don't like men wearing flip-flops either. They often do not have attractive feet

rosesarered Tue 17-May-16 08:38:16

There should be some kind of law....... Unattractive people ( particularly men) well covered up in all areas, attractive people can wear as little as they like.grin

rosesarered Tue 17-May-16 08:40:54

Actually I prefer to see joggers wear a vest/top ( although have never seen anybody not wearing one.)

Teetime Tue 17-May-16 08:41:46

Golf courses have a dress code which includes 'all golfers must keep their shirts on' or words to that effect- thankfully I am not a fan of the naked beer belly - on men or women.

Alima Tue 17-May-16 08:46:34

On reflection we only see decently attired joggers around here. The sight I find very off-putting is a cyclist in Lycra gear. Awful getting stuck behind a cyclist with their Lycra clad bottom waving in the air, although even that would be better than a bare bottom.

PRINTMISS Tue 17-May-16 09:09:59

Ouch! I cannot even think of a bare bottom on a bicycle saddle! My eyes are watering.

tigger Tue 17-May-16 10:24:44

Why is it that some men find it necessary to walk or run around topless at every opportunity?

annodomini Tue 17-May-16 10:27:04

A topless jogger? Why not? My concern would be for the runner getting sunburnt. As for cyclists - some of those lycra-clad bottoms are well worth watching. grin

vampirequeen Tue 17-May-16 10:29:26

I like the human body in all it's many shapes. People walking in the street without clothing wouldn't bother me but I'd like them to cover up in supermarkets and restaurants. Also they'd need to carry a towel or cloth with them so they could put it on any seat they may sit on.

Naked cycling sounds very painful.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 17-May-16 10:46:07

I agree MrsNutella. Ok on the beach but not on the street. Just another example of falling standards.
Having said that I'm not really offended.

GrannyGalactica Tue 17-May-16 11:14:52

Back in the 1980s I lived in a village just north of Taunton and, for a while, trips to the town were enlivened by the sight of a seriously fit young man wearing pink shiny shorts and a medallion and pirouetting down the road on roller skates. I wonder where he is now.

Jayh Tue 17-May-16 11:19:17

When I lived in the country I actually owned a scythe. I feel nostalgic now. Memories of the younger, but not necessarily fitter, OH scything away in baggy shorts and tank top. Poldark has a lot to answer for. ?
Re the OP, we get so little sunshine in the UK compared to other countries, I don't blame anyone for getting their kit off at the first opportunity. We need the vitamins. I do wince a bit at naked flesh in supermarkets though, especially around the meat counter. ?

Lilyflower Tue 17-May-16 11:21:35

Ghastly. Modern manners!

Napoleon Tue 17-May-16 11:37:51

Also hate men in wife beater vests they look really common. I would avoid going into a store if there was a man without a decent top

farmgran Tue 17-May-16 11:44:38

A young woman was spotted in our small town walking completely starkers carrying her shopping down High st. It was particularly hot that day, but still..

I don't see anything wrong with men bare from the waist up, I think we must have become more squeamish these days.

GandTea Tue 17-May-16 11:45:17

What the hell is a wife beater vest ?? I can't imagine anyone being beaten with a vest.

Don't like topless ? -- don't look, but you have to don't you hmm

GranE Tue 17-May-16 11:46:39

Wife beater vests! Oh I love that description, Napoleon. That should deter any decent man from going out in his underwear. Personally, I'd rather see a naked top on a man than said vest!

cavaliermum Tue 17-May-16 11:49:18

Help us when weather gets warmer ...
Supermarkets seem full of topless overweight ( often sweaty ) men buying their lager / pizzas
It's just gross
Shops should have a ban on this type of indecent exposure ....
Horrific ......

GandTea Tue 17-May-16 12:09:05

Must live in a very boring place, our supermarket is lacking any topless interest.

lizzypopbottle Tue 17-May-16 12:51:46

I'm wearing my grumpy old woman hat today. So many men have ugly, hairy, sweaty, fat bellies. Why should I have to see that while going about my daily activities. I can't switch my eyes off and still be safe walking down the street. Narcissistic men with bronzed and oiled six packs on show are almost as bad. They are showing off, saying, 'Look at me!' Cover up, you guys!

narrowboatnan Tue 17-May-16 13:28:14

Haha! This brought back a memory from 20 years ago. I used to walk my dogs in the local town park (it was lovely and 'wild' and. Not all mown and formal) very early in the morning (5-ish) before getting ready for work and for several months used to see a man out jogging wearing nothing but a pair of trainers! The first time it happened I don't know who was the more surprised, him or me, but as I saw him on a pretty regular basis after that I used to shout out a cheery "Good Morning!" To him. Couldn't tell you what he looked like though... shock

Marmark1 Tue 17-May-16 13:29:08

Anything goes today.Personally as long as it doesn't affect me or mine,I couldn't care less if they walk down the street naked with a feather up their Asspidestra.But when you've got women breast feeding in public without even trying to cover themselves(only the few I know) but you can't complain about a man topless.No I don't always like it,unless they look like Poldark,but it's only fair.And no,a mother breast feeding don't bother me in the least.I don't even notice most of them,but I have seen one or two just flop it out.I think Christ,it's never going to eat all that.

Jaycee5 Tue 17-May-16 13:51:41

I wouldn't care in the street. Wouldn't be keen to see it in a supermarket or restaurant but otherwise I think each to his own.