Gransnet forums

AIBU

Patronising or what?

(84 Posts)
cookynan Mon 16-May-16 13:14:14

Did anyone else see Britain's Got Talent this weekend? There was an 84 year old man taking part and as soon as he walked on stage Amanda's reaction was to say "oh bless"

Anyone else find this incredibly patronising? You might say it about a young child but about an adult? You wouldn't say "oh bless" if a 30/40/50 something walked on woud you? Everyday ageism I think

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-May-16 18:48:51

No. It feels horrible to be treated in a patronising manner. In the end you give up and just let it happen. And that's not good.

When the waiter directs every enquiry or comment to one of your adult children, and then looks faintly surprised when you are the one producing the plastic when the bill come round. And when they ask, "Is this your card?" confused "No, it's my daughter's and she's letting me play at being the Mummy".

Grrr! hmm

thatbags Tue 17-May-16 19:16:21

I hope you give them that kind of retort, jings. It might mean they don't patronise the next old lady because you made them think about what they're saying and the impression they're giving.

NanaandGrampy Tue 17-May-16 19:19:22

If there was a 'like' button on your post I'd use it ChristineFrance smile

Nanny0gg Wed 18-May-16 14:31:50

Oh please there is so much happening in the world I really can't get worked up about a patronising comment. PC is overtaking common sense

It's nothing to do with either Political Correctness and there's certainly no 'common sense' being involved.

I don't wish to be metaphorically patted on the head just because I may be entitled to a bus pass. I still have all my faculties and I can manage to tie my own shoelaces unaided.

I am as sick to the back teeth of ageism as much as I am to all the other -isms out there.

Anya Wed 18-May-16 14:46:00

Ah bless you all...still able to get worked up at your age wink

Ana Wed 18-May-16 14:57:30

It's nothing to do with PC-ness. It's a twee expression which shouldn't be used to or about anyone, IMO! 'Bless you' is different entirely.

rosesarered Wed 18-May-16 15:02:45

'Atishoo!

soop Wed 18-May-16 15:30:05

IMHO, I cannot get worked up regarding being addressed politely (regardless of the words used)...

Elegran Wed 18-May-16 15:36:30

The young man who did the paving in my garden came in for his cheque and was no sooner through the front door than he said admiringly "You keep the place spotless " No I don't! I do the minimum to keep it fit to live in. He hadn't even looked around - just said what I assume he thought all old ladies would love to hear, that all they are good for is to keep the house clean.

(No offence meant to any old ladies who pride themselves on their spotless homes - but as the only attempt opening gambit of a conversation?)

Elegran Wed 18-May-16 15:40:00

"Oh bless!" is generally said about someone, as an aside to the grownups present, soop, not directly to the object of the remark (well, they are either cute pre-schoolers or they are gaga, and wouldn't understand it, poor old scones)

soop Wed 18-May-16 15:41:15

Elegran Perhaps he was shy. I would have accepted his comment with a becoming smile.

soop Wed 18-May-16 15:43:32

Still cannot find it in me to get ruffled...guess I'm just a soppy old dear.[ wink]

Elegran Wed 18-May-16 15:45:17

Oh, I accepted it with a smile OK. I don't think he was shy - he did some work for a young woman around the corner and when I passed he was chatting animatedly.

thatbags Wed 18-May-16 16:09:15

I wouldn't accept the sort of patronising that jings says she gets. Milder stuff I can shrug off, if I even notice it, but not actual rude stuff like not talking to the person who's buying and then asking if her credit/debit card is hers, is just rude and ageist.

thatbags Wed 18-May-16 16:11:20

Is your DD a very dominant and/or attractive person, jings? Not making excuses but I'm finding it hard to imagine you not being stroppy about being treated patronisingly wink

TriciaF Wed 18-May-16 17:22:14

I've heard that phrase "oh bless" said about people of different ages and genders and it always sounds patronising to me.

obieone Wed 18-May-16 18:00:22

I am same as soop.
I will take all the , aw bless, help across the street, help with anything I can get. And thank the person for it.

Ana Wed 18-May-16 18:07:35

Blimey obie, I thought you were only in your fifties! grin

obieone Wed 18-May-16 18:23:17

I will, as in when the time comes! grin
But I am not one to not accept help/advice./assistance from anyone.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-May-16 18:36:56

Bags I cba any more.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-May-16 18:38:29

These days I just chuckle inwardly. Much like I reckon you would do. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-May-16 18:40:44

soop! It's so lovely to see you on a proper thread! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-May-16 18:43:07

Actually Bags I might say that next time it happens. grin

thatbags Wed 18-May-16 19:48:09

In your snottiest voice, jings: "You do realise how patronising and ageist you're being, don't you, young man person?"

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-May-16 20:21:10

I took something back to M & S that was too small, and was told by the very young assistant that I could order the bigger size online if I had someone that could show me how. I've been buying online since before she was born. I was gobsmacked, but ended up feeling sorry for her, as she saw my face and hers turned brick red! Aw, bless, she was only trying to help grin