Gransnet forums

AIBU

Patronising or what?

(84 Posts)
cookynan Mon 16-May-16 13:14:14

Did anyone else see Britain's Got Talent this weekend? There was an 84 year old man taking part and as soon as he walked on stage Amanda's reaction was to say "oh bless"

Anyone else find this incredibly patronising? You might say it about a young child but about an adult? You wouldn't say "oh bless" if a 30/40/50 something walked on woud you? Everyday ageism I think

henetha Sun 24-Jul-16 12:09:08

There's far too much offence taken over trivialities these days. Personally, - leading a rather isolated sort of life, - I quite like it if someone calls me 'love' or 'dear' or says things like 'oh bless'. Just for a moment it makes me feel less isolated.

BoadiceaJones Sun 24-Jul-16 21:32:57

I'm 65 and a few months ago flew alone to Rome for a week's R&R. There were a couple of "lasses" (late 30s) on the plane, en route to Sorrento...dressed to kill in skimpy lace and evidently ready to party. Loud but lovely - you get the picture. When we got off at Ciampino, we looked for the bus into town together, and they were very sweet to me. We arrived at Rome Termini, and although I know Rome really well, it took me a minute to get my bearings. They were very concerned and offered to share their taxi take me to my hotel. I assured them that my hotel was only 100 m walk away, and set out, waving cheerily. They stood watching me go, obviously still worried that the old duck might get herself lost, and I heard one say "Oh bless...". I just don't understand when I became old....

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 22:07:45

'Ayup me duck' grin
When I hear that I know I'm near home!

Of course, when I moved away, I had to get used to being called 'me luvver' by strange men.

BoadiceaJones Sun 24-Jul-16 22:19:24

Oh Jalima, you bring back happy memories of my time in Notts - "Ayup me duck" - such a lovely greeting!

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 22:29:20

smile

Nelliemoser Sun 24-Jul-16 23:01:32

Cookynan That is really patronising. I was called "dear" at by a nurse at a hospital appointment and I was very annoyed.
A "sug" (as in sugar) is local here and I would prefer that. "Me Duck" was very Leicester.

Badenkate Sun 24-Jul-16 23:38:13

I'm afraid when I say 'Oh bless' I usually mean it in a sarcastic way - but then that' the type of person I am ?

stillaliveandkicking Thu 28-Jul-16 20:42:23

Nothing wrong with saying it. I wouldn't find it patronising at all.