Gransnet forums

AIBU

Falming June indeed

(60 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 07:25:16

Here we are; 1st June. It is COLD and the heating has been on. The sky is dark and threatening, mercifully it isn't as windy as it has been recently. Living in SE England, it all seems very unseasonal and unreasonable. Just hope that we have a good September/October!

ginny Fri 03-Jun-16 19:00:22

Sorry Atqui, we have been in your part of the country and have had a wonderful week. At home in Bucks. They have had bad weather. How lucky are we !

Indinana Fri 03-Jun-16 18:59:04

I feel almost embarrassed to say that we've had the most wonderful week here in Devon - blue skies and bright sunshine every day. I know it's not been good everywhere else though, and that's unusual because my DH spends most of his time looking at the weather reports and shouting at the TV that isn't it about time we got some nice weather? "Look at the temperatures! Average 25 deg around the country, 30 in the South East and what have we got? A measly 18 deg!!!" He's feeling a bit lost at the moment, as he's got nothing to moan about grin.

Atqui Fri 03-Jun-16 18:28:36

We live in the West Country and have been freezing in the east of the country for a week. When we go home the cold is moving west!! Ho hum.

durhamjen Fri 03-Jun-16 18:19:44

Paris flooded. The Louvre has been closed and exhibits removed upstairs for safety.

Bbnan Fri 03-Jun-16 17:05:36

We have a Fantastic week in the Emerald Isle
Early twenties since last Sunday and much of the same for next week
Usually we get the rain..... It's a bank holiday weekend here so will
Make sure to get out and about and enjoy

Greyduster Fri 03-Jun-16 16:52:43

Wow! The sun is out! The thermometer is climbing! Could this be the start of .......???

durhamjen Fri 03-Jun-16 15:43:38

Same here. granjura. We were thinking about buying a guest house next to the River Ouse in York, until my dad told us that the car park behind it regularly flooded.
We bought one well away from the rivers instead. We saw the devastation caused to those guest houses in the ten years we lived there, and were so grateful to my dad.

Sun's out here now, but still lots of clouds and wind.

granjura Fri 03-Jun-16 12:27:17

dj was just going to post to this effect - what is happening in parts of FRance and Germany is just dreadful. I've never ever lived in an area which has real extremes of weather- we've been very lucky. Although twice we have nearly bought idyllic houses near a river- but came to our sense and said 'noooo what if'.

No rain here today, but cold and windy.

Greyduster Fri 03-Jun-16 09:57:16

I'm very glad they are having a spell of good weather in Western Scotland. My GS's friend (9) has gone with his dad to climb Ben Nevis this week. He was very excited. I have never seen Ben Nevis when it hasn't been covered in cloud, so it would be really nice if he gets to achieve his goal smile.

Rosina Fri 03-Jun-16 08:31:13

It would be lovely to have some blue skies, warm sunshine and a gentle breeze - the perfect summer. However, I cannot agree with Juliette about the 'wonderful' summer of '76 - as far as I was concerned it was a complete hell of burning heat, water restrictions, sleepless nights with sweat soaked pillows, fretful children, filthy streets (no rain to clean anything) and a pregnant friend who cried every day because she was so uncomfortable. Misery! I have a photo of self and DD ( aged 2) in usually beautiful Victoria Park in London and the grass was brown and crinkly as far as the eye could see. Another summer of '76 would without doubt finish me off completely!

rosesarered Fri 03-Jun-16 08:30:41

Heating on this morning! this must be a first for us, in June.

Nana3 Fri 03-Jun-16 07:47:42

Flaming June in Lancashire, beautiful for half term thank goodness as had a week of grandparent duty. Spent yesterday in Cumbria fell walking with DGD, a day of sunshine and bliss.

suzied Fri 03-Jun-16 07:32:22

I am on holiday in the West Coat of Scotland and it has been wall to wall sunshine this week, T shirts and shorts weather. Only problem is, I packed a suitcase full of waterproofs,boots, thick jeans and jumpers, which is normal for a holiday in Scotland. I had to buy a couple of t shirts, summer trousers and sun cream. I'm not complaining though.

durhamjen Fri 03-Jun-16 00:32:12

At least you haven't got the floods like France and Germany, granjura.
Hope all those GNs living in France and Germany are safe - and their families, as well.

Ceesnan Thu 02-Jun-16 20:06:02

Absolutely gorgeous all week in Cheshire, housework gone to pot, out in the garden as much as possible and a bbq each evening - bliss!

Judthepud2 Thu 02-Jun-16 10:44:56

Flaming June here in N.Ireland! Cloudless blue skies, warm sun ....all this week. Perfect. Don't for a minute imagine it will last throughout the summer though.

Off to walk the dog now and enjoy not having her return covered in mud. Mind you, yesterday she managed to find a swamp and emerged black with vile smelly gunk. Had to throw her into the nearby lake to remove some of it grin. Not cruel, she loves swimming second only to wallowing in swamps!

whitewave Thu 02-Jun-16 10:20:32

With luck the wind should begin to die down tomorrow. I can then begin to sort out the damage, although not doing rose etc until we come back from Dorset in 10 days time. But it has been a very damaging wind both for plants and wildlife.

granjura Thu 02-Jun-16 10:12:15

Still horrible here- raining again and cold- and it doesn't look as though its going to improve soon... got lots of visitors arriving from California next week and the week after, grrrr.

Jalima Wed 01-Jun-16 22:47:16

Going back to the summer of 1976, how well we remember it
I remember it too - I was in the very late stages of pregnancy (DS is 40 soon). Our garden was hot, too hot to put a new baby outside in a pram, so he spent part of each day in the cooler front room which faced north.
We were threatened with standpipes and I bought a galvanized bucket so that, if the water was turned off and we had to use the standpipes, I could boil the nappies on the stove. Thank goodness it didn't come to that.
It didn't rain until September and DD (aged 2) was astonished when large raindrops plopped down!

tanith Wed 01-Jun-16 22:05:56

numberplease He's going to be 40 this year so I guess that means you are at your 53rd Anniversary this year congratulations for that date. Shame your holiday weather didn't last.

numberplease Wed 01-Jun-16 21:51:02

Tanith, your son was born on our 13th wedding anniversary. I also can remember the summer of 1976. We had a holiday to S.Devon booked for September, sweltered all through that long, hot summer, hubby and I both at work in hot factories, then went down to Bigbury-on-sea, had 4 beautiful days, then on the 5th day, there we were, watching the kids playing in rock pools at Hope Cove, then the dark clouds rolled in, the heavens opened, and everyone made a mad dash for shelter, of which there wasn`t a lot! That was the last of the good weather for the rest of our holiday.

grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 17:36:47

How dreadful. So sorry sad Still jolly cold - and the forecast is for more of the same for the next ?? days.
The solstice is 20th June, the neverendum referendum 0n 23rd. Oh wow!

whitewave Wed 01-Jun-16 16:45:00

Oh we think we are hard done by! Just been walking the dog, and this wind has blown countless chicks out of their nest. All the little dead bodies strewn aroundshock sad

wot Wed 01-Jun-16 15:52:04

We've put the wood/coal burner on too; very comforting! Must be getting old to feel contented by that! ?

wot Wed 01-Jun-16 15:42:52

The last two posts are really evocative, if that's the right word. I could just visualize it all....lovely!!!