Gransnet forums

AIBU

Falming June indeed

(59 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 07:25:16

Here we are; 1st June. It is COLD and the heating has been on. The sky is dark and threatening, mercifully it isn't as windy as it has been recently. Living in SE England, it all seems very unseasonal and unreasonable. Just hope that we have a good September/October!

grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 07:26:01

Whoops "FLAMING" [confused[ Apologies

kittylester Wed 01-Jun-16 07:29:05

You're excused Mattie, I expect your fingers were cold! grin

We have had the heating on during the day and the fire in the lounge lit in the evenings. The garden is looking lush though.

whitewave Wed 01-Jun-16 08:09:27

We seem to be going backwards. I've put the heating on this morning - much more pleasant.

Outside it is chilly and dull wth no sun at all and this is forecast for the rest of the week I think

baubles Wed 01-Jun-16 08:18:27

We in Scotland are having our summer this week with blue skies and very warm sunshine.

I do feel for you all shivering in the rain but I'm sure normal service will resume very soon and the situation will be reversed.

Meantime I'm off out just as soon as I find my sun specs. grinsunshine

Marmight Wed 01-Jun-16 08:28:26

Summer has arrived in Scotland because I left it for five days to visit the normally sun south! When I return tomorrow, as you say Baubles, normal service will be resumed [Sod's Law] [shriek emoticon]

Marmight Wed 01-Jun-16 08:28:56

Sunny

J52 Wed 01-Jun-16 08:29:32

I'm also enjoying the Scottish summer, wearing my shorts and yesterday, lazing on the sun lounger. Hope to do the same today.

Makes a nice change!

x

grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 08:34:43

Ooooh baubles! I'm SO envious! Sun specs, sunshine even - what a treat.

Juliette Wed 01-Jun-16 08:39:07

On the last day of May 1976 we had a very hard frost in this area, it killed all the bedding plants and a lot more beside.
We went on holiday at the end of June and had a rainy week in a caravan. As we drove home from Wales the sun came out and it stayed out for the rest of the summer, I don't think it rained again until September.
Am hopeful that exactly forty years on, that wonderful summer will be replicated but perhaps not until July.

#nevergiveuphope ?????????

Teetime Wed 01-Jun-16 08:52:49

Too cold and windy for golf!! in June!!! Cinema then today I think.

whitewave Wed 01-Jun-16 09:15:54

juliette that is exactly what happened to us. We took the children caravanning in Newquay. It has always stayed in my mind for the same reason.

ninathenana Wed 01-Jun-16 09:16:46

juliette I remember that summer smile [wistful]

ginny Wed 01-Jun-16 09:18:15

We are in Cornwall this week and have had 3 days of beautiful sunshine. Bit cloudy today but no rain forcast. At home it has been almost continuous rain. We married in July '76 , a smear like that would be great. Although we would then have people complaining about it being too hot !

henetha Wed 01-Jun-16 09:18:39

I've been out delivering magazines this morning and now feel hot hot hot.... .
It has been lovely and warm here this last few days.
(south Devon).. at long last after a cold spring.

Alima Wed 01-Jun-16 09:30:48

Chilly and wet here too. On the plus side I have a new pastime in the damp and soggy garden. Relocating snails, it has been very uplifting! (Yes, I know I should get out more!).

merlotgran Wed 01-Jun-16 09:38:13

It's awful here in East Anglia. DH has insisted on going fishing - done up like Nanook of the North!

The chickens are huddling in their 'Staff Room' which is a cavern they hollowed out two years ago beneath a large Lonicera hedge. It serves to keep them cool in scorching hot weather and cosy and dry on days like these......Clever chooks!

goose1964 Wed 01-Jun-16 09:58:35

I've always thought that flaming in flaming June was a mild expletive rather than a description of the weather

Greyduster Wed 01-Jun-16 09:59:23

Good Lord, merlot your DH is made of sterner stuff than me! There'll be white horses on Ladybower today - I'd never get a line out in this wind and it's so cold I wouldn't be able to tie the flies on! It was, if anything worse than this here yesterday and DGS nagged and nagged until we went down to the park to play football!! He abandoned his hoody and ran around in shorts and a teeshirt while DH and I were huddled up to the nines in fleeces and sweaters chasing after the ball in the wind! If it doesn't warm up tommorrow the heating will have to go on as my friend is coming to lunch and she has been very ill all year.

Greyduster Wed 01-Jun-16 10:02:57

goose1964 it almost always is an expletive in this country, but there is a very beautiful painting by Sir Frederick Leighton called "Flaming June" and I'm sure when he painted it he wasn't being rude to the model! smile I hope he wasn't anyway.

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 10:05:33

Cold and miserable in our Swiss mountains too- had really strong storms last few days. No rain today- but cold!

loopyloo Wed 01-Jun-16 11:30:32

The only good thing about the weather is that it is bringing the pollen count down. I have a free day today and it looks too miserable to go to allotment so might just stay in and knit. What do other people do when they are lonely ?

ninathenana Wed 01-Jun-16 11:44:47

It is now throwing it down so much so the flat roof of the lobby from the kitchen to outside door is leaking.

Tizliz Wed 01-Jun-16 11:53:37

Another one with lovely sunshine though not very warm. Woke up with terrible hay fever and I don't usually suffer. Sheets were on the line by 10 am, they will be dry soon. We put lawn sand down and will now need to water it in, I can't believe it as it has been a bog until last week but no rain forecast. Sorry for those with your heating on but it is our turn for the sun???

grandMattie Wed 01-Jun-16 12:08:54

Just went out and got caught in a 20 minute "shower". hmm It was very heavy. Still cold.
My DH has been happily demolishing a shed and has been stopped by the rain