Gransnet forums

AIBU

Primary literacy ...split digraphs

(66 Posts)
Nandalot Thu 23-Jun-16 12:52:48

AIBU to be concerned that my DG, just turned five, has come come home and is proudly talking about 'split digraphs'? (Not wholly correctly as it happens.) I just feel that too much emphasis is being placed on the technicalities of language at too young an age. She loves writing and enjoys spending time writing pages and pages. She might occasionally ask for a spelling but often she goes for the phonetic spelling. I rarely correct her as I don't want to blunt her enthusiasm. Her twin brother is more interested in his cars than writing. Though he does like writing signs for his car park. I really wonder how much he is getting from learning about split digraphs or if he is being turned off by the emphasis on technicalities.
I have no complaints about the primary school they attend, rather the curriculum they are forced to follow.

LullyDully Thu 25-Aug-16 08:12:15

Sorry muddled you up with someone else.

Ilrina Thu 25-Aug-16 00:06:09

I am not new. I am 63

Deedaa Wed 24-Aug-16 22:23:06

Oh dear GS1 has been having such a lovely summer holiday away from all this stuff. I don't think he realises how near next term is.

Nandalot Wed 24-Aug-16 19:32:41

Oh dear. I have just realised that I did a year of phonetics at Leeds as part of my English course and although we had to do the markings i never knew what they were called.

Also I have heard of degree level stuff going down to sixth form, even to GCSE but at age 7!

LullyDully Wed 24-Aug-16 18:51:24

Now remember you are new......don't expect a tirade of criticism. Most of us are pretty.friendly.

Ilrina Wed 24-Aug-16 16:28:00

That made me laugh, annsixty. I don't remember this phrase ever being mentioned when I was at school, seemed to have managed ok without it though. Sometimes when teaching( although I am not, and never have been a teacher). I think too much information just adds to confusion, and detracts from the learning process as a whole.

I stand back now and wait for the tirade coming at me in following posts grin

Katek Wed 24-Aug-16 16:17:50

Diacritical marking uses symbols to identify the phonemes present in a word

LullyDully Wed 24-Aug-16 15:44:42

Is a split diagraph ( Mr Kindle wants to add it to my dictionary so he hasn't heard of it) what I used to teach as Magic E? What is wrong with appealing to a 5 /6 year old's imagination?

aggie Wed 24-Aug-16 15:32:01

What ? Bemused here

Katek Wed 24-Aug-16 15:03:13

Here's another one to add to the list..,,my dgc have been using diacritical marking since around P3 / age 7!!

Purpledaffodil Wed 24-Aug-16 12:29:30

Bluebell, cannot wholly agree re Maths teaching now. Some of it found less than helpful, "chunking" in division for example. However open number lines, learning to do calculations on paper the way you do them in your head by adding the tens, then the units and adding both together and learning number bonds to 10 and 20 all helped me to understand the way numbers work. I was always "hopeless at sums" but was able to teach this sort of thing with confidence and I hope imparted that to those who struggled. Whereas carrying and borrowing and all that stuff we learnt in the fifties, just eluded me. confused Those who are natural number crunchers may not need this, the dysnumerate amongst us need all the help we can get I believe. grin

Izabella Wed 24-Aug-16 11:52:56

Enlightened

Izabella Wed 24-Aug-16 11:51:22

3 degrees and retired but have managed quite well without this knowledge so far. Will now google it and enlighten myself.

silverlining48 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:11:41

The first time I heard it was from my 5 year old gd. You live and learn.

grannylyn65 Sat 06-Aug-16 15:54:28

Glad its not just me Bluebell ?

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-16 15:30:07

well b..... me I passed my English Lang and English Lit O level and studied A although didnt stay on long enough to take it and had never heard of a split whatsit Amazed I could get through life without it

Has anyone seen the way they teach small ones simple maths nowadays or maybe its changed again but the multiplication and division were so blooming complicated with loops and jumps and such a long convoluted methos twice as difficult as the way we did it

Deedaa Sat 30-Jul-16 22:13:10

When we reached the last day of term, and GS1 who is autistic was looking forward to 6 weeks of not having to go to school, DD said she had never looked forward to the holidays so much even when she was at school herself. Decided there will be no spelling or grammar practice at home.

grannylyn65 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:29:03

Can't even spell it !

grannylyn65 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:16:40

Despite at excelling at English 100 years ago, have never ever heard of a digigraph , split or otherwise blush

Marmark1 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:54:18

Crumbs! Mine will have to go to their other gran because I don't have a clue what split whatsits are.

Nandalot Sun 26-Jun-16 10:05:52

Interesting talk on "A Point of View' today on Radio 4 with A.L. Kennedy. (Amongst all the other interesting things going on now. She is against his very grammar based approach to language teaching at primary school level, this focus on the mechanics rather than the meaning and feeling. Also made an interesting link to the Referendum and the slogan writers.

Deedaa Sat 25-Jun-16 21:55:36

Did Dickens, the Brontes or Jane Austen use causal connectors or did they manage to cope without having to make up names for things?

Greenfinch Fri 24-Jun-16 22:54:19

DGD1 said her homework was to write a passage containing causal connectors. I assume she meant because etc.We used to call these types of words conjunctions which covered all joining words

Nandalot Fri 24-Jun-16 22:49:48

Pleased some of you agree with me. Also, Larrymin, I find the same with reading with my DGD , she keeps sounding out the word she knows well. I thought it was probably to do with the phonetics teaching. I think there is a place for phonetics teaching but look and say has its place too.
Re the emphasis on grammar in other language teaching, most other languages are far more regular than ours so with fewer exceptions to the grammar rules they are easier to understand and absorb.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 22:41:12

What's wrong with saying magic e? Why use complicated split thingamebobs? Can anyone recommend a book giving all these new posh names?