Gransnet forums

AIBU

My Generation (Why don't you all F-f-f fade away)

(52 Posts)
trisher Tue 28-Jun-16 14:01:29

There's been a lot of condemnation about young people criticizing us oldies for the Brexit vote. Some people have condemned them as 'ageist', but I think we were far more condemnatory than they have ever been. Hence the Who's lyric. Or we could have Toyah in 1981 going"To turn suburbia upside down". I actually think that young people today are far more respectful than we ever were and I think the Who's words"Hope I die before I get old" refer not to a physical death but a spiritual one where we become less open to ideas and change, and I'm afraid some people have already got there.

Elrel Mon 04-Jul-16 16:25:35

The vote was not that far from 50:50, both countrywide and in the various areas/towns/cities. People are reacting as though it were 80:20. Few older people I know voted Leave. Some of our grandchildren are passionate about politics, not all of them highly educated. A young woman with a chaotic, neglected background has been firstly telling her work colleagues that they should have used their vote and, secondly, putting forward a good case for Remain. Also she pointed out their racist attitude to some 'mature' colleagues.
What a mess, lies and leadership manoeuvring by our elected representatives!

granjura Sun 03-Jul-16 19:26:58

Limit is indeed 15 years- so she must have just missed it. We moved here in 2009 so still got a few years to go.

notgranyet Sun 03-Jul-16 19:22:53

I think I get what op was meaning. I went back to uni about 15 years ago as a mature student and was very disappointed at how unaware and politically unengaged the younger students were. Few voted, even fewer supported any campaigns. They seem/ed to feel it was pointless.

I've since moved to Scotland and it's very different up here, in part I think due to the education system. In a few subjects politics and history are studied in some depth and youngsters here seem to know their stuff. Including how the electoral system works.

Re the numbers on ballots I hope that's true, did you know the last general election results are currently being investigated?

Deedaa Sat 02-Jul-16 21:27:22

I think the limit is 15 years isn't it?

Smileless2012 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:40:41

I didn't think they could. The sister of a friend of my bro's has lived in Switzerland for 15 years and said she wasn't able tooconfused

Newquay Fri 01-Jul-16 08:14:52

Just wondering. . . . Why folks who have lived abroad for 16 years can still vote in our elections here?

specki4eyes Thu 30-Jun-16 13:52:21

That reminds me of a joke squirrel
Small child to grandfather, "Grandpa, can you make a noise like a frog?"
Grandfather.."yes darling, why do you ask?"
Small child..."cos Daddy says when you croak we can go to Disneyland"

grin

AnnieGran Wed 29-Jun-16 22:45:39

Well said Cagsy. Didn't someone write that society must be judged by the condition of the poorest?

Elegran Wed 29-Jun-16 18:25:02

They know from pre-ballot polls, from comparing profiles of the age, wealth, birthplace and occupations of those living in a constituency with how many in each constituency voted for each party in a previous election, from the answers they got from all those phone calls and internet questionnaires we were bombarded with. It is a whole industry called demographics, and you can put into a search engine the word demographics and where you live and find out a whole lot of things about the area. Estate agents do that a lot to tell potential buyers what kind of place they are thinking of moving to. You can find out the voting history of your area online easily too. Try it and see.

They don't know from the ballot papers about individuals, Because the links between ballot papers and the numbers on them are sealed up, locked away to be kept for a year in case of accusations of fraud, then destroyed.

Here is the answer to the question 6 years ago:-
Q "If my ballot paper has a unique number how can my vote private? "
A " In UK elections, each ballot paper has a unique number which appears on the paper and its counterfoil, and your electoral register number is noted on the counterfoil in the book of ballot papers, so yes, in theory it can be determined how you voted. However, there are many other procedures prescribed in election rules to keep the ballot secret. When the polls close at 10 pm, the counterfoils are parcelled up into sealed packets. At the count, the papers, once unfolded, must be kept face up at all times so that nobody gets to look at the serial numbers printed on the back, and the count is closely supervised by the Returning Officer and his staff and representatives of the parties. When the count is complete, the ballot papers are likewise made up into packets and sealed. The papers and counterfoils are kept for 12 months in a secure place, then destroyed."

"^Thus there is no practical opportunity for anyone to work out how you voted. The reason for noting your register number on the counterfoil is to protect against electoral fraud. It enables electoral fraud to be investigated if any allegation is made of this, but even so, the sealed packets may only be opened by an order of an election court, which would only be made if the court felt it necessary for the specific allegation of fraud to be investigated - say if it was alleged that the ballot papers had been tampered with, or there has been widespread impersonation of voters affecting the accuracy of the result. This has not happened since 1911."^ The Dark Side · 6 years ago
uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100421164020AAlOciN

Spangles1963 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:43:40

Bez1989 - because it is not an anonymous vote. Why else would the ballot papers have a code number on them?

Bez1989 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:35:26

Im wondering how "they" know who voted which way ????

sweetcakes Wed 29-Jun-16 14:02:13

My DD voted she's 24 works and is saving hard for a home of her own which is not easy in the south. She also made her boyfriend go and vote. We talked about it watched some the debates and then she made up her mind. So please don't tar all the younger generation with the same brush I also know of sons and daughters who didn't vote to them I say you didn't excerise your right to vote so therefore you have no right to complain

Sheilasue Wed 29-Jun-16 13:51:40

Well Pierce Morgan said this morning that it's the young people who should be blamed for not voting

Elegran Wed 29-Jun-16 12:04:03

A bit further away from the influence of Farridge the Garridge and co?

seadragon Wed 29-Jun-16 11:59:11

Scotland voted Remain AND has an ageing population. Any ideas why?

trisher Wed 29-Jun-16 11:51:27

I don't think I voted when I was 21. I was a student at the time and fairly mobile as far as accommodation was concerned- flat sharing and swapping when we felt necessary. I wonder if a lot of the younger generation are in the same position and finding the new registration requirements just too difficult? As for Ageism it has always existed we just didn't have a name for it.

Phoebes Wed 29-Jun-16 11:47:36

Actually, radicalnan,if 16 year olds had been allowed to vote, they would probably have voted to remain, as it is their future, after all!

Cagsy Wed 29-Jun-16 11:30:22

Ruth 1958 i have to say I've always tried to use my vote for what I see as the greater good. I'm quite comfortable, house paid for, still earning in my mid 60s - very, very fortunate. However I see very different lives when I'm helping at our foodbank, the pain and distress that poverty, housing and mental health issues cause can just ruin lives. I vote for the people/party that will help the most vulnerable and needy in our society - and that care about the environment. i was brought up to believe we have a responsibility for others not just ourselves and I do hope I've passed that on to my children

grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-16 11:27:34

Tricia - I get your point! There was a much more rebellious and politically aware youth back in the day (60's) when I was entering my teens. There were protest songs and movements and a general 'what do they know?' tone to young people's involvement in society. The 60's was a time of both political and cultural revolution; a time of radical thinkers and a desperate desire for change. The youth of the country challenged the conservative ways of the generations before them and shocked many people still mentally living in the 1940's/50's. Young people certainly found their voices (with music as a vehicle for this) and used them as much as possible. In many ways I think they shaped society and politics today.

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:21:56

The harsh new dog eat dog world is thanks to globalisation! The rich get richer and are worried about the noughts falling off their millions and the poor have not a hope of buying a home but rent from buy to let rich . Shocking the north south divide, disgraceful! There should be a fair distribution of institutions around the region's. I have nothing against people making a decent living but not at the expense of others basic requirements.

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:15:56

Fortune favours the brave!

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:13:31

Greedy nodoubt granny 's money was hard earned! Truly the youngsters don't even know the basics mum and dad have had them wrapped in cotton wool and wl continue to do, some living at home in their 30s+ err educated in what?

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:09:36

How on earth can people they voted remain as it won't affect them if they are over 50! YOU vote what YOU believe surely that's what the suffragettes fought and died for! Do you realise women in Saudi Arabia have only just got the vote! I

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:04:39

Ageism is as ugly as racism it's another rising abuse!

Ruth1958 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:03:22

I agree but it's a shame more youngsters didn't vote for what THEY believed in. Democracy is the most precious thing we have and sadly they took that for granted!