Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hairdresser pushing the sale of hair are products!

(71 Posts)
Linsco56 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:22:47

All I wanted was a cut and blow dry but oh no! According to my hairdresser I needed a new type of conditioner and a new formula heat protection spray. She wanted me to talk her through my hair care regime and was horrified when I said I was using baby shampoo as most others stripped the natural oils from my hair. "Really!!! but you know you're not a baby" followed by laughter. "I use what works best for me, thank you anyway". She then went on to say my hair needed some root lift powder and proceeded to try and sell me that. "No thank you, just a cut and blow dry please". No to be put off her stride she tried to sell my a new styling brush and again I heard myself saying, no thank you just a cut and blow dry...I was exhausted by the end of it. She is the owner of a small salon and I can understand she wants to increase income as much as possible but IMO she will lose clients if she keeps this up. Who wants to run the gauntlet of pressure salesmanship when they visit a hair salon.

Alishka Fri 15-Jul-16 09:35:37

I love my hairdresser and the people who work for her! Really love the fab cut and colour(s) I have there too. The coffee and/or wine at special occasions is great too. Sometimes the 'special occasion' can be something like surviving a particularly fraught week or even that it's a sunshiny day grin
NEar me, tho, there's one of those time-warp places, all tightly rollered hair, old fashioned driers, same style for everyone, resulting in a clan of cauliflower heads. confused

AnnieGran Mon 11-Jul-16 14:27:10

In my village hairdresser: £28 plus £3 tip for an excellent cut, shampoo and blowdry plus first class village gossip.

Bez1989 Sat 09-Jul-16 01:59:54

Worcestershire.....Ive been to.my local hairdresser today for a wash trim blowdry and eyebrow waxing....£35 +£2 tip.
Plus a lovely relaxed atmosphere with a good chat.

GrammaH Fri 08-Jul-16 21:25:34

£45 every 4 weeks for a cut & blow dry in a Midlands county town. Seems to be the going rate here. A super 24 year old cuts my hair beautifully & keeps me entertained with her sharp wit & observations - I look forward to my visits and no, she's never tried to sell me anything, although the salon has plenty of 'products' on sale which seem popular with other clients. I use Tesco's basic shampoo at 85p & Wella hair gel for my spikey short cut.

janeainsworth Fri 08-Jul-16 21:18:33

Bernice perhaps you were being uncharitable to the hairdresser who told you about the expensive product in response to you telling her that you were at risk of losing some or all of your hair.
Perhaps she was trying to help you. How would you have felt if she had not told you about something which she knew could have helped?
I agree with Riverwalk!

Blinko Fri 08-Jul-16 21:05:26

I live in the West Midlands and pay £15 pensioner special every five or six weeks. I colour it myself when I think about it. I get complimented that it suits me, so I'm happy with that.

Why does (how can) anyone afford to live in London or the sarf east?

watermeadow Fri 08-Jul-16 20:51:02

I pay £12.50 for a dry trim and like the op I wash my hair in baby shampoo. Nothing else, ever. Why would you pay someone to wash your hair? I've never had a blow dry either - doesn't your hair look the same next morning as if it hadn't been done? I wash mine in the bath, give it a quick rub then straight to bed. No hairdryer.
The simple life!

Bernice123 Fri 08-Jul-16 19:55:07

Apologies for being late to this post but always have a manically busy week at work, followed by looking after my toddler granddaughter on a Friday all day. Wonderful to have her but completely exhausting. I once went to a local hairdresser who, as a response to me saying I was on a chemotherapy drug due to an autoimmune condition which can cause some hair loss, tried to flog me something for over £50. I felt it was a terrible thing to do, to take advantage of someone's ill health to make money. I never went back and now have a wonderful hairdresser who comes to my home and charges half the amount without the hard sell.

annodomini Fri 08-Jul-16 19:17:46

I pay £34 every 5-6 weeks for shampoo, cut and blow dry. My hairdresser has never tried to push any product but I did ask for a volumising mousse which she'd used on me and bought it from her. However, I then bought a second bottle of it on line, for about £3 less. It's worth looking on line if there's a product that is a success in the salon.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 08-Jul-16 18:28:55

riverwalk how rude you are

michellehargreaves Fri 08-Jul-16 17:59:55

Blimey, some of you girls are doing OK. Costs me £98.00 for root colour and cut here in SW London. And my friends , who go elsewhere tell me that is reasonable. Now that DH is retired, I try to get my hair to last at least 6 weeks, and I use a brush in root colour called Wow, to disguise the grey highway. However, I feel I have to keep the hair up as the rest of me goes south, at least there is one good point.

DaphneBroon Fri 08-Jul-16 16:19:21

A sad(?) little tale.
Many years ago ( over 40) I was working in Wandsworth in S London, long before it was remotely smart and I used to go to a very downmarket hairdresser opposite the office. It was a bit scruffy, but the Scottish guy who cut my hair was excellent (and very cheap)
Fast forward a year and he left, I was devastated so I saved up my pennies and decided to treat myself to a high end hairdresser in South Ken where a shampoo and blow dry (without even a cut) cost more than my weekly shopping budget.
I had no idea who to choose out of the names offered and said so.
Imagine my surprise, dear reader, when my wee Glaswegian hairdresser appeared!! smile
It cost me 10x more though sad

TriciaF Fri 08-Jul-16 15:55:16

I pay 23€ (?£16) for cut and blow dry here, and she's very good.
She has an attractive salon and advertises her training and skill in "re-looking" ie advising on a complete change of style etc. But she's never tried it on me, a lost cause?grin

NanaCorinne Fri 08-Jul-16 14:55:38

My dry trim costs me £6 - when I treated myself to a colour, trim and blow dry it was £25. My hairdresser works from her home and does it beautifully. I''ve been with her for 20 years and she's only put her price up once!

pollyperkins Fri 08-Jul-16 14:32:09

I pay £35-40 for a cut abd blow drybin a small market town in the midlands. I imagine it costs a lot mote in London! My DH thinks its a fortune snd keeps telling me he pays £5 for a haircut! When they ask him what he wants doing he says in a tone of astonishment : ' I just want a haircut!!!'

Riverwalk Fri 08-Jul-16 14:12:53

Some of you sound such miserable cows - glad I'm not a hairdresser! grin

hulahoop Fri 08-Jul-16 14:05:24

Cut and blow costs me £9 plus tip my hairdresser works from home I do oh have done for years

HootyMcOwlface Fri 08-Jul-16 14:03:18

I wouldn't go back if they did sales patter like that to me. I just want to be in and out as quick as possible and can't bear all the idle chit chat nonsense. No, I'm not going anywhere nice. No, I'm not having a holiday (again) this year. Yes, the weather is rubbish. Good God just cut my hair and let me go! I don't tip anymore either, the charges are high enough as it is for a quick dry trim, works out at £90 an hour or more!

Marty Fri 08-Jul-16 13:39:10

I pay R100 in South Africa at my local saloon. Convert that to GBP it's about 5. I have wash and cut as I have short hair so don't need a blow dry.

lolarabbit Fri 08-Jul-16 13:14:28

I'm with the 'never go to hairdressers' group and couldn't believe how much it costs these days. Discovered a you-tube video a while back that shows you how to layer your own hair (basically a tight ponytail on top of head and cut straight across, done in two minutes); it serves me well. Realising how much I've saved makes me think I deserve a little online shopping treat smile

Jaxie Fri 08-Jul-16 12:53:31

Does anyone else feel patronised by glamorous young hair dressers ( or stylists as they would prefer to be known) ? Sometimes they make feel as if I were speaking Swahili for all they appear to understand my instructions. I look like cone head if they cut short layers into my crown, but they never listen. OK they pouf it up with " products" so it looks ok when I leave the salon,but the next day my hair looks awful. I'm not asking for miracles, just not old lady hair. I may be 73 but nothing I wear or say would lead someone to identify me as a frump. I live in a tiny town so this salon is the best of a bad lot. This is how I should like to look, ( I have slightly curly fine hair) but it never happens.

Helmsley444 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:30:20

My hairdresser is a man.Every five weeeks i ho and get my roots done then a shampoo cut and blow.It costs 62.00.Plus a tip on top.He keeps telling me off for not coming in sooner.He only wants the 62.09 more freqently.And its a struggle for me to find it every five weeks let alone more frequently.

Cagsy Fri 08-Jul-16 12:25:41

Fourormore I'm so jealous of your wash and go hair, mine is so straight and fine I have to put loads of velcro rollers in every time I wash it. It's short hair with blonde hi lights and does look OK when I do it but is a total mess by the next day.
Linsco56 I wouldn't go back to that salon, suggesting a product might be good for your hair is fine but not pushing for sales like that. My hairdresser is now mobile so she just turns up, does what I ask, has a cup of coffee and goes on her way & we're both very happy smile

Bijou Fri 08-Jul-16 11:45:53

I haven't been to the hair dressers for more than fifty years. My hair is thick and grows very quickly. I cut it every other week, wash it once a week in any shampoo, use a little Vitapoint and put in soft rollers every other night. Am often complimented on it. Before I decided to let it be grey I coloured it. Think of of all the money I have saved!!!!

Belleringer Fri 08-Jul-16 11:02:41

My hairdresser has just put his price up to £85 for a cut and blow dry. This isn't in London but in a small country town. I was going to stop going, however I have very thin fine hair which I find impossible to manage and he is the only person who has ever given me a decent cut, so I am gritting my teeth, saving up my pension and sticking with him. However, I don't tip him! And he doesn't try to sell me products, but gives me free samples if he thinks they will suit my hair.