Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I unreasonable?

(65 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 26-Jul-16 08:13:49

We bought a little static caravan for our retirement and absolutely love our little bolt hole. We use it a lot. How do we handle requests from people we know, ex colleagues etc who ask if they can 'borrow' it? They say, 'ooh, can we be awfully cheeky and ask if we can have it next weekend?' If we said yes to everyone who asks we would never get to use it ourselves. One couple gave us a box of chocolates! But I feel really mean about refusing. There are relatives we haven't heard from in years suddenly getting in touch and asking for use of it. I don't want to get into the business of charging people as that's not why we bought it, but I do want to say please don't ask. If you want a week in a caravan then please hire one. Am I being unreasonable and how can I say no without upsetting anyone?

Funnygran Tue 26-Jul-16 10:59:34

I don't think you are unreasonable at all. I can't believe how thick skinned people must be to even ask. We had a small flat in London which was bought when DH worked down there for a couple of years. The family used it when it was empty and then extended family and then friends of extended family asked at which point we had to refuse as we felt we didn't really know who was in it. When we retired we got rid of it as it was becoming too much hassle!

vallaza Tue 26-Jul-16 11:01:28

I would only lend it to anyone who had been there for me in times past. Anyone who crept from the woodwork suddenly would be told exactly why they could not borrow it. No loss there if they take the huff!

Lilyflower Tue 26-Jul-16 11:06:57

No, you are not being unreasonable. We have a cottage in Devon and it is on a water meter, costs a lot in council tax and the calor gas to heat it and to heat the water is eye watering expensive. If someone stayed there we'd be paying between £200 and £400 for their week's holiday depending on the season and how much heat they needed.

People are indeed very cheeky and have a curmugeonly attitude towards the possessions of others. We have heard horror stories of how properties lent to others have been treated and it almost always ends in such resentment between parties that the friendship is lost.

Having said don't lend your caravan, I would be very tactful about refusing to hand it over. Rather than a blunt, 'no', it would be better to hae some soft excuses. For example, it could always be 'being borrowed' for the dates your requesters want it. After a while a series of soft 'refusals' will get the message through. Another way to make it less than desirable is to ask for a series of favours done when the requester is there (cleaning, shopping , repairs etc.) Have a sheet printed out with a list of the 'useful numbers' the requesters will need while at the site but also add a tariff of prices for utilities/ cleaning (they can pay a cleaner or do it themselves)/ bills etc.

Louizalass Tue 26-Jul-16 11:12:23

Your friends & relatives obviously don't feel bad or awkward about asking. So you shouldn't feel bad about saying No! Cheek of them!

I would never think of asking friends or family for a loan of their caravan or holiday home! You saved hard for the caravan for you to enjoy.

Suggest they do the same!

Gononsuch Tue 26-Jul-16 11:15:27

curmugeonly attitude

Please, I've only got a comprehensive education, I just googled that expression and I'm still non the wiser.

Now show me how clever you are by translating.wink

gettingonabit Tue 26-Jul-16 11:22:42

gonon I read "curmudgeonly" as "bloody awkward"grin.

Seriously; what an absolute cheekshock.

I'd lend as long as they're willing to pay the standard rate. Which is not cheap. Nor should it be. Some people, eh? Unbelievable.

Juggernaut Tue 26-Jul-16 11:28:09

Gononsuch
A 'curmudgeon' is a bad tempered, surly, difficult, cantankerous person, usually elderly, and usually male!

chrissyh Tue 26-Jul-16 11:28:31

No, excepts close family. Our very best friends have just bought a static caravan and we wouldn't dream of asking to borrow it. We have just enjoyed an invited stay in it with them but that's as far as it goes.

NonnaAnnie Tue 26-Jul-16 11:34:58

TBH we would not even let family use our caravan, OCD perhaps?

MiniMouse Tue 26-Jul-16 11:36:34

Firstly, try not to let this become a 'situation' that takes the shine off your enjoyment of your caravan. People are so cheeky! Secondly, just say, "No, sorry, it's our home not a holiday let". If you start coming out with excuses (insurance etc) people will come up with all sorts of ways round them and back you into a corner!

mrsmopp Tue 26-Jul-16 11:40:02

I am hugely reassured by all these replies, every one of them being supportive.
Many thanks, I don't feel so bad now. In fact I checked a caravan park nearby and discovered the charge is £700 for a week in August! No wonder I suddenly have all these so called 'friends'!!
I am going to turn into a two year old toddler, stamp my feet and say NO !!

David1968 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:06:39

Good for you, Mrs Mopp. I think everyone's come up with great responses. Just to say - my sister recently bought a static caravan in the area where my MiL lives in a care home. DH and I visit the area several times a year, and we pay for somewhere to stay, but we'd never, ever ask to stay there. We know that this is my sister's "dream retreat" and I know that were it ours, we'd want to keep it that way!

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Jul-16 12:25:25

My parents had a caravan on a farm for many many years. They always let others use it when they weren't there. They said it kept it aired and loved, and built happy memories for others who wouldn't otherwise get away.
They were, however, generous to a fault (!)

When, decades later, they parted with the caravan, they did have numerous invites from their friends to visit or use their holiday places - and they did so - in their holiday homes, caravans and cottages.
I think kindness generally come back to you.
If no damage is done by letting others use it, why not be proud of your ability to spread a little joy.

Jaycee5 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:26:38

I have been offered the use of a caravan but it wouldn't occur to me to ask to borrow one. Seems a bit cheeky. Like saying 'you'll be at the caravan this weekend can I borrow your house'. I just find it a strange request.

dizzygran Tue 26-Jul-16 12:58:40

Good for you mrsmopp. It is a second home to you - you have bought somewhere where you can leave your clothes and things for you to use without having to pack everything away when you leave and where you can go to without having to worry that someone else is there. You already let family and possibly close friends use it, which is good, but for people you hardly know to ask is a bit of a cheek. Enjoy your holidays

Penstemmon Tue 26-Jul-16 13:23:09

mrsmopp absoutely you are not being unreasonable. This is your holiday home and you need to be able to use it when you want. It cost you money to buy and to pay the site fees etc.. Why do people think they can use it just because they know you?

I think you are right to say no. If you have close friends/family members who you are happy to have the use of it then that is a different matter but only when you know you won't be using it!

cc Tue 26-Jul-16 13:56:42

We're lucky enough to have a holiday home, we've had it 1986 and bought it because holidays abroad (and particularly airports) were very difficult when our four kids were small. Since them most of our holidays are spent there, rain or shine - and it costs us about the same to run as a two week package holiday would today

It is mostly used by family and good friends. We have let others stay there occasionally, though we often regret this. We find that sometimes these people will leave the heating or lights on, or leave it in a mess - they just don't seem to value the gift to them. If it is free it is worth nothing to them - and of course it costs us money every time somebody uses it.

I think that you are right to say no, even if it is hard sometimes.

If someone has abused our hospitality we simply say that we have family there at that time.

sylviann Tue 26-Jul-16 14:38:00

Keep your bolt hole for yourselves and close family .If friends want a break let them pay the going rate if they are true friends they will understand.

Bez1989 Tue 26-Jul-16 15:25:45

I agree with all of the comments. It does cost a lot these days both to buy and to use a static caravan. The site fee gas water and electricity all cost s small fortune.
We had one for a few years and only offered it for use to family members and a couple of friends. All we charged them was a nominal amount to cover the utilities that they used while there...but no charge to our daughter. One year in the autumn when the last person to use it was our daughter, we arrived to find large Santa Claus sitting on the toilet seat !! I told her his bum must have been very cold smile In your situation Mrs Mopp you must stand firm
in laying down the ground rules of who may and who may not use your second home.
And also ground rules to those who may use it. EG..Leaving it as they found it, clean and ready for you to use, taking their own bed linen and towels etc and taking them home with them for washing ! I hope you enjoy your second home and use it a great deal come rain. sunshinecupcakewine

AnnieGran Tue 26-Jul-16 15:44:22

When I moved to the seaside many years ago with my children I was warned that I would hear from friends and family I had forgotten existed. Wasn't that the truth! A two week stay with meals was often the norm for the first couple of years before I became clever at saying no. Mind you - most of them did buy the fish and chips on the last evening.

Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 15:54:16

Why not say" I'll look in the diary to see if it's free. If you don't hear from me it's not free"and leave it at that.

Diddy1 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:07:43

I have a second home in the Lake District, people we know can stay there for a small sum of £10 p/p per night this helps with Council Tax,gas and electricity,they always leave the place in pristine condition, I am very lucky.

belladonna Tue 26-Jul-16 17:28:43

Oh dear, we were thinking of getting a static by the sea...so thanks for the warnings re pitfalls. We have a campervan and used to have people borrowing it...one was sick everywhere..too much alcohol..the smell never really went ..and another wanted it for most of the holidays and they were smokers. Result ..we sold it, bought a smaller one ..only insured for us. So why do I want a static? Some people never learn !!!!!

nipsmum Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:13

You are allowed to say no. A simple straightforward no and change the subject. You do not have to give any reason. No white lies. Just no and be firm.

Chris4159 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:53:04

Just say no we dont rent it out but I can give you the phone number of the site office they rent out vans. They womt bother you again.