Gransnet forums

AIBU

to object to how much TV coverage the Olympics are getting?

(128 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 02-Aug-16 19:52:49

I've just looked at next week's Radio Times & in a nutshell BBC are showing nothing but the Olympics all day & every day!OK-I'm not a big fan of watching people run, jump, row etc & I appreciate a lot of people love it BUT does it have to be blanket coverage! There are only a few odd programmes on BBC 4 later every evening not sport related.
We've only just had all that dratted football- luckily we were abroad for the last 2 weeks of it- but it does seem as if sport is the be all & end all these days. Now I love my rugby (2 hours a week on an outside channel during winter months if we are lucky)& I quite like men's tennis so watch a bit of Wimbledon (not on 2 channels at the same time).
However IMHO this is far too much. I never usually watch commercial TV live but record it & whizz through adverts but I may resort to watching it live for 2 weeks.
Luckily I have some very good books on my Kindle too.
Roll on the closing ceremony- I do like a bit of samba!

NfkDumpling Mon 22-Aug-16 08:09:58

Doggy paddle is good - it's about all you can do with a life jacket on, you bob so high above the water! DH sails so he 'taught' me and we've had boats for the last thirty years or so. Dinghies for the first fifteen before I got too cumbersome, and although I've capsized a lot in the past, I can only remember actually going in the water three times. Getting wet isn't essential. I love being out on the boat, drifting silently along in the sun with a gentle breeze is pure magic. (we don't do gusty or windy any more!)

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Aug-16 18:41:45

I'd have to have swimming lessons first, NfkDumpling. I don't think they'd let me on board if they saw my doggy paddle. blush

Greyduster Sun 21-Aug-16 09:28:21

Our local country park offers junior and adult sailing lessons and they certainly wouldn't break the bank. We were thinking of funding some for GS but he's not that interested in watersports.

NfkDumpling Sun 21-Aug-16 09:05:36

Grab it Maggie! In Norfolk, our local council run course are £20 for a two hour 'try sailing' afternoon followed by £155 for a four day course with hopefuly an RYA certificate at the end.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Aug-16 07:50:51

You have to be very well off to having sailing lessons Maggiemaybe

I've just checked for you, BlueBelle. The tarn I was talking about hosts a yacht club offering junior sailing courses, weekly sessions £16 for 2 hours initially, £10 for 2 hours thereafter, use of boat included.

Depends on your definition of very well off, of course , but I can think of much more expensive leisure activities.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 07:41:41

maggiemaybe, grin

Bellasnana Sun 21-Aug-16 06:34:32

In the past I have not taken much interest in the Olympics, but this year I have been staying with my sister and BiL who are avid fans of just about every event. I have found a lot of it really exciting and, even at my age, have learned a few things I knew nothing about. grin

BlueBelle Sun 21-Aug-16 02:43:22

I have no idea what a keirin is Gettingonabit and think I can manage without it ta

I have no hatred of sport what I can't stand is the fact that if you don't find it riveting you have no alternative the papers the radio the tv are all oozing with it and everything some of us usually watch have all been removed why can't they show wall to wall coverage on BBC1 and move bbc1 programmes to bbc2 then at least we d have a choice

I use to love the Olympics but have really gone of it I think perhaps the drugs have killed it for me as when anyone wins now I m thinking ' ahh but ...... '

I am so looking forward to tonorrow

You have to be very well off to having sailing lessons Maggiemaybe

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Aug-16 08:55:21

DGS2 was mesmerized by the shot putt (he's 3). Probably because I told him they were throwing cannonballs.

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Aug-16 08:53:06

We took DGS2 to our local tarn this week and it was wonderful to see a big group of children learning to sail and (particularly) seven or eight adults being instructed in the basics of canoeing. There's a waiting list for lessons. A lot of people have been inspired by the coverage, and even if it's short-lived, that's surely a good result.

Pigglywiggly Thu 18-Aug-16 21:32:37

Had to turn the diving off tonight because of the totally annoying commentators.

Jane10 Wed 17-Aug-16 13:32:40

Most certainly nothing like my idea of a treat. Watching grown adults riding their incredibly expensive bikes round and round in circles? Ridiculous activity!
I'm with Bluebelle can't wait for it to be over.

gettingonabit Wed 17-Aug-16 12:36:46

Aw Bluebelle. Shame. The Keirin last night was bonkers and riveting. You missed a treat there. And we wonwine

BlueBelle Wed 17-Aug-16 12:24:48

I m so looking forward to next week I m bored out of my head

goose1964 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:15:19

at least it's only the BBC football took out ITV too mainly at peak times

NfkDumpling Sun 14-Aug-16 09:06:37

Around here cycling isn't a cheap sport! There are the families on 'proper' bikes pootling along the disused railway tracks - then there are the Cyclists. Helmeted, goggled heads down, be-lycra'd bums up on very expensive racing machines. Its a whole new industry catering for them.

Jane10 Sat 13-Aug-16 11:12:51

Lots of cheap healthy sports and activities around. Walking, running and jumping cost nothing smile

dorsetpennt Sat 13-Aug-16 11:04:23

Three BBC channels showing wall to wall Olympics . I enjoy them but this is too much . Thank god for Sky.

annodomini Sat 13-Aug-16 11:00:55

Cycling is something that most children can take up, if only to ride to and from school. My two youngest GSs (8 and 11) go on long rides with their dad; and they also have a large trampoline in the garden. I know they were watching the trampolining last night, so I suspect that it will be in use today. There seem to be trampolines everywhere and the new trampoline parks. GB should have plenty of recruits for the next Olympics.

Anniebach Sat 13-Aug-16 10:10:16

I so enjoy the cycling

GandTea Sat 13-Aug-16 10:08:44

Cycling is a sport that so many can enjoy cheaply, get a second hand bike for £50 and you are off. As long as you can still get your leg over, the open road is yours.
I do find the velodrome very exciting, especially team pursuit.

Road racing is difficult to cover, as it is to watch live.

Ilrina Sat 13-Aug-16 00:26:19

So pleased I don't watch Tele wink, having said that though it is also all over the papers, and on the radio alot.

Jalima Sat 13-Aug-16 00:05:51

It's not just cycling round in circles (although they do do that), it's the precision of keeping together, changing leaders etc, I find it fascinating.
And they won a gold this evening!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Aug-16 20:56:45

jane10! shock. Cycling is one of the best sports! And excellent for keeping fit. Second only to swimming.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Aug-16 20:54:58

and ''osses'