Gransnet forums

AIBU

Siblings not pulling their weight

(29 Posts)
Aggy21 Mon 08-Aug-16 12:54:21

Had to get this off my chest. My DH is the only one of six siblings living in this country. He has elderly frail parents who are almost 90 and his mum is in and out of hospital. His dad is able to get about a bit but has his own health issues and is getting a bit confused. My gripe is the lack of interest, concern and sense of responsibility shown by his brothers and sisters. They rarely get in touch, a phone call from them being a big deal. They assume were exaggerating when we say how frail they are. One brother has not seen them in almost ten years, another two years. Others who could easily visit haven't made the effort for nearly a year. However, one of the most annoying things is, during their rare phone calls, they advise dad to do X Y and Z in direct opposition to what we've advised, eg they should take a holiday ( we would need to do the transportation), get rid of the man who does the garden ( we d need to do it till replacement found) get double glazing in ( they chose dodgy company and we had to sort out mess) remain in their too big house with stairs ( putting them off a perfect sheltered housing house which they were considering) It make me mad and causes DH a lot of stress especially as his folks are stubborn and difficult to deal with at best of times. Anyone else in same boat?

Aggy21 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:56:03

Thank you all so much- I love gransnet for the great support and common sense! Tigger, I smiled at your mention of your sister as it reminded me of after my mother died my elder sister who lived abroad rewrote history in terms of how often she used to visit and what a help she was to my parents! As all of you say, we ll just have to keep doing our best and gently suggest to the siblings that they visit to see the real situation- and perhaps believe in karma?!

Luckygirl Fri 12-Aug-16 21:06:42

It is intensely annoying when the person bearing the brunt if the care (however willingly) has a sibling fly in and throw a few spanners in the works!

Unwillingness to understand when a parent needs to move to residential or nursing care can sadly have a financial motive as regards legacies.

Lemonlegs13 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:40:23

I found out after my Dad died that 'Right to Buy' was the cause of my brother and sister refusing to support me in my efforts to encourage my Mum to move out of a third floor flat with no lift when my Dad became vey frail mentally and physically.
The maximum discount would have been lost if they'd transferred to a sheltered bungalow on the same development.
I won't bore you with all the horrendous details of duplicity and lies that went on behind my back.
I was struggling to keep an eye on my poor Dad whilst they were co-ercing my mother to stay put.
Blue eyed brother living 150 miles away visited my Dad just once during the year before he died, but was the architect of the plan, stoking up the flames of animosity between my sister and me which suited his long term plan of building up a barrier of silence between my Mum my sister and me.
Now my Dad's gone, my mother, 91 years old with failing sight misguidedly having put her trust in the wrong ones is covering up for this wickedness just because she couldn't face moving out.
If the right to buy hadn't figured in all this I'm sure things might have been different.
My sister is looking after my Mum now as my Mum withdrew from me once my Dad died, probably because she felt guilty.
Horrendous situation which almost caused me a breakdown due to the stress of fretting about my Dad and also being shut out of the details of his consequent funeral, executor ship of his will ( all three of us children were named as executors) - and presided over by my silly mother.
All my efforts at trying to protect her by contacting her solicitor, Social Services, the Council's right to buy dept, and Elder Abuse all came to nought.
Mega Buck passing.
It's dawned on me recently that it's taken me 67 years to realise what a rotten family I've got, but at least I did the best I could for my Dad.
What will happen to my Mum now is anyone's guess.